Professional Web Applications Themes

How do you get around Norton - Dreamweaver AppDev

I have a client site that has banner ads on it (not popups), and they are getting complaints that the ads are not showing on some pc's. Of course, these pc's all have norton installed. Hoe do I get around this? do I need to change my code, and rename anything that says banner, and ads? The size? What does norton and all blockers loof for when determining that content is an ad? Thanks, Anthony...

  1. #1

    Default How do you get around Norton

    I have a client site that has banner ads on it (not popups), and they are
    getting complaints that the ads are not showing on some pc's. Of course,
    these pc's all have norton installed.

    Hoe do I get around this? do I need to change my code, and rename anything
    that says banner, and ads? The size? What does norton and all blockers loof
    for when determining that content is an ad?

    Thanks,
    Anthony

    Anthony Brown Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How do you get around Norton

    change the size of your banner ad by just a few pixels. Standard size
    banner ads are not going to show in Norton.

    --
    Nancy Gill
    Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX/UltraDev

    "Anthony Brown" <anthonykermy.com> wrote in message
    > I have a client site that has banner ads on it (not popups), and they
    are
    > getting complaints that the ads are not showing on some pc's. Of course,
    > these pc's all have norton installed.
    >
    > Hoe do I get around this? do I need to change my code, and rename anything
    > that says banner, and ads? The size? What does norton and all blockers
    loof
    > for when determining that content is an ad?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Anthony

    Nancy Gill Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks Nancy.
    I made them 273 x 83 originally, and thought that was a non standard size.
    Now, they are 275 x 85. Should I go down in size?

    Fortunatly, I don't have Norton so I can see the banner ads no matter what
    size they are.

    "Nancy Gill" <nancywebwish.com> wrote in message
    > change the size of your banner ad by just a few pixels. Standard size
    > banner ads are not going to show in Norton.
    >

    > --
    > Nancy Gill
    > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX/UltraDev
    > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/go/team/[/url]
    > Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: Instant Troubleshooter (August, 2003)
    > Technical Editor: DMX 2004: The Complete Reference, DMX 2004: A
    > Beginner's
    > Guide, Mastering Macromedia Contribute
    > Technical Reviewer: Dynamic Dreamweaver MX/DMX: Advanced PHP Web
    > Development
    >
    > "Anthony Brown" <anthonykermy.com> wrote in message
    >> I have a client site that has banner ads on it (not popups), and they
    > are
    >> getting complaints that the ads are not showing on some pc's. Of course,
    >> these pc's all have norton installed.
    >>
    >> Hoe do I get around this? do I need to change my code, and rename
    >> anything
    >> that says banner, and ads? The size? What does norton and all blockers
    > loof
    >> for when determining that content is an ad?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Anthony

    Anthony Brown Guest

  4. #4

    Anything that is substandard should be okay. I have Norton .. what is your
    URL?

    --

    > Thanks Nancy.
    > I made them 273 x 83 originally, and thought that was a non standard size.
    > Now, they are 275 x 85. Should I go down in size?
    >
    > Fortunatly, I don't have Norton so I can see the banner ads no matter what
    > size they are.
    >

    > "Nancy Gill" <nancywebwish.com> wrote in message
    > > change the size of your banner ad by just a few pixels. Standard size
    > > banner ads are not going to show in Norton.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Nancy Gill
    > > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX/UltraDev
    > > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/go/team/[/url]
    > > Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: Instant Troubleshooter (August, 2003)
    > > Technical Editor: DMX 2004: The Complete Reference, DMX 2004: A
    > > Beginner's
    > > Guide, Mastering Macromedia Contribute
    > > Technical Reviewer: Dynamic Dreamweaver MX/DMX: Advanced PHP Web
    > > Development
    > >
    > > "Anthony Brown" <anthonykermy.com> wrote in message
    > >> I have a client site that has banner ads on it (not popups), and
    they
    > > are
    > >> getting complaints that the ads are not showing on some pc's. Of
    course,
    > >> these pc's all have norton installed.
    > >>
    > >> Hoe do I get around this? do I need to change my code, and rename
    > >> anything
    > >> that says banner, and ads? The size? What does norton and all blockers
    > > loof
    > >> for when determining that content is an ad?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >> Anthony

    Nancy Gill Guest

  5. #5

    [url]http://www.tehachapi.com/chamber[/url]

    Should see the ads, top right

    Thanks

    > Anything that is substandard should be okay. I have Norton .. what is
    > your
    > URL?
    >
    > --
    > Nancy Gill
    > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX/UltraDev
    > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/go/team/[/url]
    > Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: Instant Troubleshooter (August, 2003)
    > Technical Editor: DMX 2004: The Complete Reference, DMX 2004: A
    > Beginner's
    > Guide, Mastering Macromedia Contribute
    > Technical Reviewer: Dynamic Dreamweaver MX/DMX: Advanced PHP Web
    > Development
    >
    > "Anthony Brown" <anthonykermy.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks Nancy.
    >> I made them 273 x 83 originally, and thought that was a non standard
    >> size.
    >> Now, they are 275 x 85. Should I go down in size?
    >>
    >> Fortunatly, I don't have Norton so I can see the banner ads no matter
    >> what
    >> size they are.
    >>

    >> "Nancy Gill" <nancywebwish.com> wrote in message
    >> > change the size of your banner ad by just a few pixels. Standard size
    >> > banner ads are not going to show in Norton.
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> > Nancy Gill
    >> > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX/UltraDev
    >> > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/go/team/[/url]
    >> > Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: Instant Troubleshooter (August, 2003)
    >> > Technical Editor: DMX 2004: The Complete Reference, DMX 2004: A
    >> > Beginner's
    >> > Guide, Mastering Macromedia Contribute
    >> > Technical Reviewer: Dynamic Dreamweaver MX/DMX: Advanced PHP Web
    >> > Development
    >> >
    >> > "Anthony Brown" <anthonykermy.com> wrote in message
    > they
    >> > are
    > course,

    >> > loof

    Anthony Brown Guest

  6. #6

    I see the words Sponsored By: in the white space at the top right .. that's
    it. There should be a banner in there? There isn't.

    However .. if I disable Norton, then I see the same thing. I see some small
    banners on the left under the words Large Business and Small Business.

    Both areas are the same whether I have Norton running or disabled.

    --

    > [url]http://www.tehachapi.com/chamber[/url]
    >
    > Should see the ads, top right
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Nancy Gill" <nancywebwish.com> wrote in message
    > > Anything that is substandard should be okay. I have Norton .. what is
    > > your
    > > URL?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Nancy Gill
    > > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX/UltraDev
    > > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/go/team/[/url]
    > > Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: Instant Troubleshooter (August, 2003)
    > > Technical Editor: DMX 2004: The Complete Reference, DMX 2004: A
    > > Beginner's
    > > Guide, Mastering Macromedia Contribute
    > > Technical Reviewer: Dynamic Dreamweaver MX/DMX: Advanced PHP Web
    > > Development
    > >
    > > "Anthony Brown" <anthonykermy.com> wrote in message
    > >> Thanks Nancy.
    > >> I made them 273 x 83 originally, and thought that was a non standard
    > >> size.
    > >> Now, they are 275 x 85. Should I go down in size?
    > >>
    > >> Fortunatly, I don't have Norton so I can see the banner ads no matter
    > >> what
    > >> size they are.
    > >>

    > >> "Nancy Gill" <nancywebwish.com> wrote in message

    > > they
    > > course,

    Nancy Gill Guest

  7. #7

    rut roh!
    Yes, there is supposed to be banners under "Sponsored by"

    Looks like I have a bigger problem than I thought.

    The ads use an include file. Maybe if I put that code directly on the page
    that will help?

    Give me about 10 mins. and check again please Nancy.

    I appreciate the feedback.

    >I see the words Sponsored By: in the white space at the top right .. that's
    > it. There should be a banner in there? There isn't.
    >
    > However .. if I disable Norton, then I see the same thing. I see some
    > small
    > banners on the left under the words Large Business and Small Business.
    >
    > Both areas are the same whether I have Norton running or disabled.
    >

    > --
    > Nancy Gill
    > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX/UltraDev
    > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/go/team/[/url]
    > Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: Instant Troubleshooter (August, 2003)
    > Technical Editor: DMX 2004: The Complete Reference, DMX 2004: A
    > Beginner's
    > Guide, Mastering Macromedia Contribute
    > Technical Reviewer: Dynamic Dreamweaver MX/DMX: Advanced PHP Web
    > Development
    >

    > "Anthony Brown" <anthonykermy.com> wrote in message
    >> [url]http://www.tehachapi.com/chamber[/url]
    >>
    >> Should see the ads, top right
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> "Nancy Gill" <nancywebwish.com> wrote in message
    >> > Anything that is substandard should be okay. I have Norton .. what is
    >> > your
    >> > URL?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Nancy Gill
    >> > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX/UltraDev
    >> > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/go/team/[/url]
    >> > Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: Instant Troubleshooter (August, 2003)
    >> > Technical Editor: DMX 2004: The Complete Reference, DMX 2004: A
    >> > Beginner's
    >> > Guide, Mastering Macromedia Contribute
    >> > Technical Reviewer: Dynamic Dreamweaver MX/DMX: Advanced PHP Web
    >> > Development
    >> >
    >> > "Anthony Brown" <anthonykermy.com> wrote in message

    > size

    >> > they
    >> > course,

    Anthony Brown Guest

  8. #8

    I rewrote the entire code, and got rid of everything that said "ads". I
    also put the code directly in the page.

    > rut roh!
    > Yes, there is supposed to be banners under "Sponsored by"
    >
    > Looks like I have a bigger problem than I thought.
    >
    > The ads use an include file. Maybe if I put that code directly on the
    > page that will help?
    >
    > Give me about 10 mins. and check again please Nancy.
    >
    > I appreciate the feedback.
    >

    > "Nancy Gill" <nancywebwish.com> wrote in message
    >>I see the words Sponsored By: in the white space at the top right ..
    >>that's
    >> it. There should be a banner in there? There isn't.
    >>
    >> However .. if I disable Norton, then I see the same thing. I see some
    >> small
    >> banners on the left under the words Large Business and Small Business.
    >>
    >> Both areas are the same whether I have Norton running or disabled.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Nancy Gill
    >> Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX/UltraDev
    >> [url]http://www.macromedia.com/go/team/[/url]
    >> Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: Instant Troubleshooter (August, 2003)
    >> Technical Editor: DMX 2004: The Complete Reference, DMX 2004: A
    >> Beginner's
    >> Guide, Mastering Macromedia Contribute
    >> Technical Reviewer: Dynamic Dreamweaver MX/DMX: Advanced PHP Web
    >> Development
    >>

    >> "Anthony Brown" <anthonykermy.com> wrote in message
    >>> [url]http://www.tehachapi.com/chamber[/url]
    >>>
    >>> Should see the ads, top right
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> "Nancy Gill" <nancywebwish.com> wrote in message

    >> size

    Anthony Brown Guest

  9. #9

    > I have a client site that has banner ads on it (not popups), and they
    are
    > getting complaints that the ads are not showing on some pc's. Of course,
    > these pc's all have norton installed.
    Tell the client that that is now the internet works. You can't really
    control how/what 3rd party software does on individual machines.

    Obviously, these folks don't want to look at ads. I can't imagine forcing
    these ads on these people is going to make them any more likely to want to
    visit your site.

    -Darrel

    darrel Guest

  10. #10

    .oO(Anthony Brown)
    > I have a client site that has banner ads on it (not popups), and they are
    >getting complaints that the ads are not showing on some pc's. Of course,
    >these pc's all have norton installed.
    >
    >Hoe do I get around this?
    The best would be to remove that useless Norton crap, but I don't think
    that's an option in your case ...
    >What does norton and all blockers loof
    >for when determining that content is an ad?
    Image size and filename.

    Micha
    Michael Fesser Guest

  11. #11

    .oO(Anthony Brown)
    >I rewrote the entire code, and got rid of everything that said "ads". I
    >also put the code directly in the page.
    Without Javascript I see no ad. With JS enabled it gets quite annoying,
    because every few seconds the script requests another image from the
    server. Some of them are rather big in filesize and the download takes
    some time, so as soon as the download is completed and the image visible
    the script requests a new one. Not really useful I think ...

    Micha
    Michael Fesser Guest

  12. #12

    I still see just "sponsored by" and nothing else. Even once I've disabled
    Norton. I don't think Norton is your problem.

    --

    > I rewrote the entire code, and got rid of everything that said "ads". I
    > also put the code directly in the page.
    >

    > "Anthony Brown" <anthonykermy.com> wrote in message
    > > rut roh!
    > > Yes, there is supposed to be banners under "Sponsored by"
    > >
    > > Looks like I have a bigger problem than I thought.
    > >
    > > The ads use an include file. Maybe if I put that code directly on the
    > > page that will help?
    > >
    > > Give me about 10 mins. and check again please Nancy.
    > >
    > > I appreciate the feedback.
    > >

    > > "Nancy Gill" <nancywebwish.com> wrote in message
    > >>I see the words Sponsored By: in the white space at the top right ..
    > >>that's
    > >> it. There should be a banner in there? There isn't.
    > >>
    > >> However .. if I disable Norton, then I see the same thing. I see some
    > >> small
    > >> banners on the left under the words Large Business and Small Business.
    > >>
    > >> Both areas are the same whether I have Norton running or disabled.
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Nancy Gill
    > >> Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX/UltraDev
    > >> [url]http://www.macromedia.com/go/team/[/url]
    > >> Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: Instant Troubleshooter (August, 2003)
    > >> Technical Editor: DMX 2004: The Complete Reference, DMX 2004: A
    > >> Beginner's
    > >> Guide, Mastering Macromedia Contribute
    > >> Technical Reviewer: Dynamic Dreamweaver MX/DMX: Advanced PHP Web
    > >> Development
    > >>

    > >> "Anthony Brown" <anthonykermy.com> wrote in message

    > >> size

    Of

    Nancy Gill Guest

  13. #13

    Thanks for the input. With the problems that I am having with the script,
    and apparently different people seeing different things.
    What is a better way to do this? Flash? I need some advice on this because
    this is a very big deal to my client that these show.

    Examples and other input welcome.
    Thanks

    "Michael Fesser" <netizengmx.net> wrote in message
    > .oO(Anthony Brown)
    >
    >>I rewrote the entire code, and got rid of everything that said "ads". I
    >>also put the code directly in the page.
    >
    > Without Javascript I see no ad. With JS enabled it gets quite annoying,
    > because every few seconds the script requests another image from the
    > server. Some of them are rather big in filesize and the download takes
    > some time, so as soon as the download is completed and the image visible
    > the script requests a new one. Not really useful I think ...
    >
    > Micha

    Anthony Brown Guest

  14. #14

    Agreed! I don't like them myself all that much. But, this is what my
    client wants, and this is income to them. The service has been bought and
    paid for by there clients. Now, I HAVE to get it to work somehow.

    I am getting heat from the directors to get this to work.

    "darrel" <notrealhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I have a client site that has banner ads on it (not popups), and they
    > are
    >> getting complaints that the ads are not showing on some pc's. Of course,
    >> these pc's all have norton installed.
    >
    > Tell the client that that is now the internet works. You can't really
    > control how/what 3rd party software does on individual machines.
    >
    > Obviously, these folks don't want to look at ads. I can't imagine forcing
    > these ads on these people is going to make them any more likely to want to
    > visit your site.
    >
    > -Darrel

    Anthony Brown Guest

  15. #15

    > Agreed! I don't like them myself all that much. But, this is what my
    > client wants, and this is income to them. The service has been bought and
    > paid for by there clients. Now, I HAVE to get it to work somehow.
    >
    > I am getting heat from the directors to get this to work.
    Don't let them walk all over you. Push back. Explain that what they are
    trying to do is just a waste of money. There are always going to be ad
    blockers and fighting them is just going to be an excercise in futility.

    Again, if people don't like ads to the extent that they use an ad blocker,
    forcing the ads isn't going to change anything. They're just not going to
    visit your site. Either way, the client isn't getting an ad view for that
    person. Would they rather not get an ad view and pay nothing. Or would they
    rather not get an ad view, but pay you to do pointless busy work?

    In otherwords, tell them that they are wasting their money paying you to do
    this. (But if you want the money, then hey... ;o)

    -Darrel

    darrel Guest

  16. #16

    All right,
    Everything has been converted to flash.

    Please take a look and let me know what happens.

    [url]http://www.tehachapi.com/chamber/[/url]

    Thanks again.

    "Anthony Brown" <anthonykermy.com> wrote in message
    > I have a client site that has banner ads on it (not popups), and they
    > are getting complaints that the ads are not showing on some pc's. Of
    > course, these pc's all have norton installed.
    >
    > Hoe do I get around this? do I need to change my code, and rename anything
    > that says banner, and ads? The size? What does norton and all blockers
    > loof for when determining that content is an ad?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Anthony

    Anthony Brown Guest

  17. #17

    Try removing the word 'banner' from all images etc.

    --
    Jules
    [url]http://www.charon.co.uk/charoncart[/url]

    Julian Roberts Guest

  18. #18

    Heres a page that lists some of the stuff thats blocked:

    [url]http://digitalimagesdesign.com/norton.htm[/url]

    Done by image size, and url eg /banners/, /ads/, etc are removed

    --
    Gareth - TMM Dreamweaver
    [url]http://www.dreamweavermxsupport.com/[/url]

    PHP Login Suite V2 - 34 Server Behaviors to build a complete Login system.
    [url]http://www.phploginsuite.co.uk/[/url]

    Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: Instant Troubleshooter - Apress
    Co-Author: Practical Intranet Development - Apress
    Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: Advanced PHP Web Development - Apress
    Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: PHP Web Development - Wrox

    gareth Guest

  19. #19

    Thanks that is useful

  20. #20

    You must have changed something, Anthony .. I see the ads .. with Norton
    enabled.

    --

    > Thanks for the input. With the problems that I am having with the script,
    > and apparently different people seeing different things.
    > What is a better way to do this? Flash? I need some advice on this
    because
    > this is a very big deal to my client that these show.
    >
    > Examples and other input welcome.
    > Thanks
    >

    > "Michael Fesser" <netizengmx.net> wrote in message
    > > .oO(Anthony Brown)
    > >
    > >>I rewrote the entire code, and got rid of everything that said "ads". I
    > >>also put the code directly in the page.
    > >
    > > Without Javascript I see no ad. With JS enabled it gets quite annoying,
    > > because every few seconds the script requests another image from the
    > > server. Some of them are rather big in filesize and the download takes
    > > some time, so as soon as the download is completed and the image visible
    > > the script requests a new one. Not really useful I think ...
    > >
    > > Micha

    Nancy Gill Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast