Professional Web Applications Themes

How do you handle multiple page sizes in indesign? - Adobe Indesign Macintosh

I am a convert from Freehand and Quark to Illustrator and Indesign and the most annoying thing about the change has been the lack of multiple page size support in either. How do you do a doent with multiple page sizes? Do you do a different file for each page or one genric oversized page an dcreate your own crop marks? Is there a standard practice to handling multiple page sizes? Regards David Hardman...

  1. #1

    Default How do you handle multiple page sizes in indesign?

    David_Hardman@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    You do multiple doents, one for each pagesize, and combine them with the Book feature. There is no other way. As far as I know only FrameMaker and MS Word allow for different pagesizes and pageorientations in the same doent.
    Nini Tjäder Guest

  3. #3

    > Is there a standard practice to handling multiple page sizes?

    Use several doents for each page size and link them together with the
    book feature.

    Jens
    Jens Schulze Guest

  4. #4

    "… As far as I know only FrameMaker and MS Word allow for different pagesizes and pageorientations in the same doent."

    QuarkXPress began offering this back in version 6
    reidjazz@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    "… As far as I know only FrameMaker and MS Word allow for different pagesizes
    and pageorientations in the same doent."

    and Freehand

    QuarkXPress began offering this back in version 6

    Is that so? My understanding that it was similar to ID's book function, more like a 'project' than one multi-page doent.
    DavidT Guest

  6. #6

    Quark "projects" can consist of a variety of doents of varying sizes. They can even be a mix of web and print jobs. It's not quite the same as the way FreeHand allows multiple page sizes in a single doent. Nor is it really like InDesign's book function. Quite frankly, it's a royal pain, at least in a prepress environment.

    I used Quark for years. I don't miss it. InDesign s Quark away in terms of functionality and usability.
    Brutus_Maximus@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    In article <3bc1c77c.3webcrossing.la2eafNXanI>,
    DavidT <graphicstmprinting.ie> wrote:
    > and Freehand
    I guess if one has never worked with Freehand one simply can't imagine
    the creative flexibility its multi-page handling offers.

    Being able to resize individual pages, shuffle them around in *any*
    direction all on one large pasteboard is the best workspace metaphor
    I've come across so far.

    I do get the impression that Adobe haven't quite grasped what they did
    acquire with FH, but neither did Macromedia.
    Martin_Sammtleben@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I don't regard FreeHand as a layout application though I know it can contain pages of various sizes in same doent. It is good feature, but more for layout projects of different products in same project than laying out a multipage doent. I know FH quite well and prefer it any time over Illustrator actually. Not over ID though which is something entirely different.
    Nini Tjäder Guest

  9. #9

    Main draw back for qxp project and probably for FH too, if this ever happens, is that if one of the projects gets corrupt, you can not access the other files at all.
    Different page size mgiht be different proejcts numbers or unit numbers, so in our current process, we build one doent per unit number.
    Marco_A_SantaMaria@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Thanks to everyone for their replies.

    I guess I will have to look at the book feature (with caution) or wait for adobe to realise the true creative potential of Freehand and incorporate multiple page sizes in Indesign/Illustrator.

    Just in case anyone from Adobe is watching. My company has tried to change to Illustrator from Freehand but we are dumping Illustrator because Freehand is a much more creative tool (even with it's quirks). Illustrator is for techies who like gadgets, it's a great technical drawing tool. Freehand gives you freedom to be creative.

    Thanks again

  11. #11

    In article <3bc1c77c.8webcrossing.la2eafNXanI>,
    [email]David_Hardmanadobeforums.com[/email] wrote:
    > Freehand gives you freedom to be creative.
    Amen.
    Martin_Sammtleben@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    >creative potential of Freehand and incorporate multiple page sizes in
    >Indesign/Illustrator.
    The issue in InDesign isn't creativity, it's who can print such things? This
    is no trivial matter.

    -John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    I agree. What the hell is a printer going to do with a file containing 4 different page sizes? Dumbness personified.
    Richard_Sohanchyk@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    >What the hell is a printer going to do with a file containing 4 different
    page sizes?

    Hence, my earlier comment:

  15. #15

    In article <3bc1c77c.11webcrossing.la2eafNXanI>,
    [email]Richard_Sohanchykadobeforums.com[/email] wrote:
    > I agree. What the hell is a printer going to do with a file containing 4
    > different page sizes?
    It's a great way to set up for instance business cards, stationery,
    envelopes etc. in a single file.

    My printer does figure it out every time.
    Martin_Sammtleben@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    It depends in part on how the job is submitted for printing. It's usually pretty clear what's what in the native source files. Multiple page sizes within a single PDF file, however, can be a hassle to sort out. That's when it's vital to get clear, unambiguous instructions on how the job goes together. Unfortunately, I've run into many designers over the years who were incapable of clarity or unambiguity.
    Brutus_Maximus@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    > My printer does figure it out every time.

    Your printer must like you a lot! :-) Or, if I am to believe the many
    prepress people who post here, maybe not so much.

    Seriously though, it's likely that your printer separates those elements
    into separate docs, then prints them. Either they copy/paste into new native
    docs, or make a PDF and crop/edit it into separate PDFs. But if you're happy
    and the printer does the job at a good price, then who really cares?

  18. #18

    In article
    <773EF994E7D7E9FC7EAC19A0D459FF4Din.webcrossing.l a2eafNXanI>,
    [email]JohnOadobeforums.com[/email] wrote:
    > Seriously though, it's likely that your printer separates those elements
    > into separate docs, then prints them.
    Sure, that's what they do and other times I do submit FH print jobs
    neatly separated by page size.

    I can see your points and I'm not trying to argue re the print stage.

    However at the design stage having all items on various page sizes
    collected in one doent offers a lot of advantages, especially if you
    can reorder and resize individual pages without affecting the rest.
    There's also only a single, unified colour- and styles palette that
    controls everything.

    --
    Cheers Martin
    Martin_Sammtleben@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    There's also only a single, unified colour- and styles palette that controls
    everything.

    I just do a save as for each element once the initial one is dead on.

    I worked in prepress for several printers and I can assure you it's unappreciated busy work to get 4 different jobs in one file. And if that one file is corrupt…
    Richard_Sohanchyk@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    In article <3bc1c77c.17webcrossing.la2eafNXanI>,
    [email]Richard_Sohanchykadobeforums.com[/email] wrote:
    > I worked in prepress for several printers and I can assure you it's
    > unappreciated busy work to get 4 different jobs in one file.
    I agree, but I was referring to the design stage.

    --
    Cheers Martin
    Martin_Sammtleben@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast