Professional Web Applications Themes

How do you maintain multiple scales? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Have a real problem ... I need to keep digital photo's (jpg) at 1:1 scale when I bring them into Photoshop Elements. They are being used by our manufacturing floor, and are required to be to SCALE Anybody have any clues on what I might be able to do ...I am putting them on 11x17 forms (b_size). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance!...

  1. #1

    Default How do you maintain multiple scales?

    Have a real problem ...

    I need to keep digital photo's (jpg) at 1:1 scale when I bring them into Photoshop Elements.

    They are being used by our manufacturing floor, and are required to be to SCALE

    Anybody have any clues on what I might be able to do ...I am putting them on 11x17 forms (b_size).

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanx in advance!
    Mike Turek Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How do you maintain multiple scales?

    Mike,

    I'm a bit confused by your querry, this might not be helpful to your question...

    When you take a digital photo, the dimensions of that image have an aspect ratio native to your camera (length compared to width expressed in a ratio). If you mean you want to have one image basically fill up the 11x17 sheet you would...

    Image>Resize>Image Size, 'Constrain' proportions checked, type in up to 16.5 for your longest dimension and let the other dimension in the dialog box fill itself in. Look at the resolution showing now...if it is under 200 you won't get a very good printout. If you check the box 'Resample' (in addition to the 'Constrain'), type in one dimension as above, type in 200 or so for the resolution you would get a decent printout (though this depends on how many pixels were in the original image)

    Some more details on image size would be helpful and if you are putting many on that page or just enlarging one.

    Come back will more info.
    Nancy S Guest

  3. #3

    If you mean actual size, that can only have validity when output to media
    (like printed on paper).

    Images on screen are dependent on pixel size of the image related to the
    pixel dimension settings and physical monitor size of any given computer
    system. There is no universal "same size" viewing possible between
    different computer stations.

    Mac
    Mac McDougald Guest

  4. #4

    Nancy
    I tried what you sugested ... not working.

    I have a form...then I open the image,drag and drop the image onto the form....the scale of this image is either to small or to large,in most cases they are to small.

    I use Image>Resize>Scale and make sure aspect ratio is clicked...have set all images resolution prior to bringing them in to 72.
    Mike Turek Guest

  5. #5

    Mac

    I am trying to get a true 1:1 scale factor on the drawing so when I print it out it is 1:1. This isn't hapenning.

    I don't follow your "same size" statement.
    What are you trying to say?
    There is a thing called floating points on all Unix computers ...not sure about PC's or Mac's, that I know,each system is not 100% identical.

    But if I bring a file up on the screen to view it better be the same as the hard copy or original or else we got a little problem.
    Mike Turek Guest

  6. #6

    Mike,

    An image will either appear to expand or shrink if the resolution of your form is different from your copied image...you rite!

    Nancy
    Nancy S Guest

  7. #7

    Mike,

    If your form with images is only meant for screen viewing, a res. of 72 is no problem.

    However, printing out something at a res. of 72 will give you quite a pixelated (jagged, unsharp) looking product. A res. of 200 is probably the minimum for a decent looking printout.

    If the images are coming out of your digital camera at a res. of 72 (which is quite common) they can be resized to a higher res. (which must match the form)

    Come back and tell is if these are to be printed out so we can point you to that end.

    Nancy
    Nancy S Guest

  8. #8

    Mike,

    The crux of the matter is...how large is your form and images in terms of #of pixels by # of pixels.
    Nancy S Guest

  9. #9

    ah... what I 've been doing is simply flattening the layers to keep these files at a good size..... some are way over 30g's
    which makes for a difficult time priting them out and tying up the network.....
    Mike Turek Guest

  10. #10

    You must understand the relationship of pixel size/print size/ppi for
    raster images (as opposed to vector images, like CAD drawings).
    scantips.com is fine place to learn.

    Your 1:1 print size can be at any resolution, 72 or 7200. How high the
    resolution of the image (how many original pixels you have to begin with)
    determines the possibilities. You can also UPsample (add pixels that
    weren't there originally) through interpolation, but this is of very
    limited value.

    You mention images being "30g's". Perhaps you mean "30MB"?
    Elements (or full PhotoShop) will not deal with images over 2GB
    (gigabytes).

    Mac
    Mac McDougald Guest

  11. #11

    Probably I don't understand. A 30 gigabyte image? And by flattening you reduce the size to about 30 megabytes?

    As far as I know 1 Gb equals 1000 Mb. So your images are 250x larger than the largest files I ever work on (120 Mb), printing at 20x30 inches. At the same resolution 30Gb would print at 254 dpi at about 10x15 meters, that's about 3x the size of my room!

    Leen
    Leen Koper Guest

  12. #12

    I think I may missed on this....sorry, when I am in here at 4am and start doing thinhs, my brain doesn't kick in until about 9am.

    The files are actually 35meg or better.....the biggest I've had has been 50meg.

    These are scanned in images of hand drawings, which had backings on them....(pc board layouts which have the soldering and pads taped to the back of them)

    sorry .... they aren't rocket ships..
    Mike Turek Guest

  13. #13

    Ah, ok.
    That makes more sense.

    Simply size them to the actual output size in inches that you want, with
    resampling OFF.
    If you have say, 250ppi or better resolution (300ppi at actual output
    size, from original pixels, not interpolated, is pretty much the max
    necessary for quality printing) you should be good to go.

    If you have over 300ppi you could downsample to knock file size down
    some.
    If you have less than that consider scanning at higher rez.

    Relatively large file sizes are just a necessary outcome of quality
    digital imaging. A color 11x17 inch file in TIFF/PSD format at 300ppi is
    around 48MB. Best to work with/print in these formats and NOT JPEG, as
    JPEG is lossy, and can degrade with every resave.

    Again, size on screen is a moving target, depending on any individual's
    monitor size and the screen rez set for viewing on that particular
    monitor. Print size is the only thing you can precisely control.

    Mac
    Mac McDougald Guest