Professional Web Applications Themes

How does a distro born? - Debian

I know this question is a little off-topic and with a broad scope. And I am not interested in set up a new distro. The fact is: I really want to know and perhaps be able to setup a ultra-mini-distro just to tell myself: I did it. I guess that thousands of people would enjoy that. I read Linux From Scratch but that is not a distro build guide. What is a distro? I could define a distro as a bootable media (using ISOLINUX perhaps) which boot a linux kernel configured to run a installer, which in turns runs several ...

  1. #1

    Default How does a distro born?

    I know this question is a little off-topic and with a broad scope.

    And I am not interested in set up a new distro.

    The fact is: I really want to know and perhaps be able to setup a
    ultra-mini-distro just to tell myself: I did it.

    I guess that thousands of people would enjoy that.

    I read Linux From Scratch but that is not a distro build guide.

    What is a distro?

    I could define a distro as a bootable media (using ISOLINUX perhaps) which
    boot a linux kernel configured to run a installer, which in turns runs
    several steps from partitioning disks and coping files (packages) to initial
    config (video, networking, etc).

    So, what do I need to know (and where could I find that information) to set
    up such thing?

    Do I need to be a kernel master?

    Is there any site trying to solve the great mysteries of life such:
    How does a distro born? or
    How does a kernel born?

    In the way, I am looking for good literature about kernels and operating
    systems.

    Thanks in advance.

    Valter

    Valter G. Nogueira Jr. Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How does a distro born?

    Hi Walter,

    [url]http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/[/url]

    might help to give you some insight. :-)

    HTH, Harry

    --On Tuesday, July 15, 2003 11:14:11 AM -0300 "Valter G. Nogueira Jr."
    <valterintersic.com.br> wrote:
    > I know this question is a little off-topic and with a broad scope.
    >
    > And I am not interested in set up a new distro.
    >
    > The fact is: I really want to know and perhaps be able to setup a
    > ultra-mini-distro just to tell myself: I did it.
    >
    > I guess that thousands of people would enjoy that.
    >
    > I read Linux From Scratch but that is not a distro build guide.
    >
    > What is a distro?
    >
    > I could define a distro as a bootable media (using ISOLINUX perhaps) which
    > boot a linux kernel configured to run a installer, which in turns runs
    > several steps from partitioning disks and coping files (packages) to
    > initial config (video, networking, etc).
    >
    > So, what do I need to know (and where could I find that information) to
    > set up such thing?
    >
    > Do I need to be a kernel master?
    >
    > Is there any site trying to solve the great mysteries of life such:
    > How does a distro born? or
    > How does a kernel born?
    >
    > In the way, I am looking for good literature about kernels and operating
    > systems.

    Harry Brueckner Guest

  3. #3

    Em Tue, 15 Jul 2003 11:14:11 -0300, Valter G. Nogueira Jr. escreveu:
    > The fact is: I really want to know and perhaps be able to setup a
    > ultra-mini-distro just to tell myself: I did it.
    You might want to go the Knoppix route and modify Debian... there is even
    a Brazilian effort, Kurumin. You might want, for example, to create a
    GNUrumin, running localised Gnome instead of KDE...

    --
    _
    / \ Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra +41 (21) 648 11 34

    Leandro Guimares Faria Corsetti Dutra Guest

  4. #4

    > You might want to go the Knoppix route and modify Debian... there is even
    > a Brazilian effort, Kurumin. You might want, for example, to create a
    > GNUrumin, running localised Gnome instead of KDE...
    I alredy know Knoppix/Kurumin but this isn't what I am pursuing.

    What I am pursuing is a deeper knowlegde. Like if I were a distro I should
    question myself "Where did I came from?" - Freak, ah?

    Due to my spare time it is a long term project - I am not in a hurry and
    Debian will make me happy when I master it (other distros are muck like
    windows - click, click, click and you are running but not understanding)

    Valter

    Valter G. Nogueira Jr. Guest

  5. #5

    Valter G. Nogueira Jr. wrote:
    >>You might want to go the Knoppix route and modify Debian... there is even
    >>a Brazilian effort, Kurumin. You might want, for example, to create a
    >>GNUrumin, running localised Gnome instead of KDE...
    >>

    >I alredy know Knoppix/Kurumin but this isn't what I am pursuing.
    >
    >What I am pursuing is a deeper knowlegde. Like if I were a distro I should
    >question myself "Where did I came from?" - Freak, ah?
    >
    >Due to my spare time it is a long term project - I am not in a hurry and
    >Debian will make me happy when I master it (other distros are muck like
    >windows - click, click, click and you are running but not understanding)
    >
    >Valter

    Hi Valter,

    The below url is a great article on how to make boot/rescue floppy disk.
    Although it may not be excatly what you are looking for, it will be a
    good beginning. There is also a section on how the 'pros' do it. I have
    used thee instructions to make several mini linux. This way I am able to
    have many more utilities for my rescue disk. You are right, it is a good
    learning experience. Good luck. email me if I can be of any help.

    [url]www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/[/url]

    HTH
    Charles

    Charles-Roberts Guest

  6. #6

    Em Fri, 18 Jul 2003 09:29:53 -0300, Valter G. Nogueira Jr. escreveu:
    > What I am pursuing is a deeper knowlegde. Like if I were a distro I should
    > question myself "Where did I came from?" - Freak, ah?
    I think one should go piecemeal on such a project. Creating your own
    GNUrumim will give you some additional knowledge, besides being a service
    to the community. From there you can delve deeper.

    --
    _ Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra +41 (21) 648 11 34
    / \ [url]http://br.geocities.com./lgcdutra/[/url] +41 (78) 778 11 34
    \ / Responda lista, não a mim diretamente! +55 (11) 5686 2219
    / \ Dê nota se ajudei: [url]http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=leandro[/url]

    Leandro Guimares Faria Corsetti Dutra Guest