Professional Web Applications Themes

How does logging work for multiple instances - Coldfusion Server Administration

Hi, I am coming from .Net background and am very new to CF. I was curious to know how logging works in CFMX multiserver configuration for different CF server instances??? Thanks Dabi123...

  1. #1

    Default How does logging work for multiple instances

    Hi,
    I am coming from .Net background and am very new to CF. I was curious to know how logging works in CFMX multiserver configuration for different CF server instances???
    Thanks
    Dabi123

    dabi123 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How does logging work for multiple instances

    Each instance has their own independent CF and JRun logs.

    Is that what you were after?

    Andy
    xentrix Guest

  3. #3

    What I wanted to know is you can configure your Websites in IIS to record log
    entries generated from user and server activity. IIS names the log files for
    each website by appending a number (web site identifier) to W3SVC for example
    the log file for default website would be 1w3svc\... etc, and the files gets
    stored under your web root directory by default. So you know which is the log
    file for each website.. Now in CFMX7 you can create different server instances
    and you can attach each to IIS website say the default website. In that case
    how would you differentiate the log files for each CF instance....Is there just
    one log file where the activities get logged or will there be different files
    for each instance?

    dabi123 Guest

  4. #4

    Each CFMX instance will have log files like so, and they are all found under
    <jrun>/logs:

    instance1-out.log
    instance1-err.log
    instance1-event.log

    instance2-out.log
    instance2-err.log
    instance2-event.log

    You'll also have specific CF logs for each instance, which are stored under:
    <jrun>/servers/<instance-name>/cfusion.ear/cfusion.war/WEB-INF/cfusion/logs

    Andy

    xentrix Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks Andy, I did see that. However, while configuring the settings from CFMX
    Administrator page, under Logging and Debugging section, you have the option to
    specify a Log Directory. Now I want my log files to be written to a different
    drive and so I specify say "D:\Inetpub\LogFiles\CFLogs". In this case I see
    that there is an eventgateway.log and server.log file that is created. I was
    expecting the log files for each instance to be here.... How can I get the log
    files for each instance be written separately here so that its easier to manage
    them..

    dabi123 Guest

  6. #6

    To get the JRun logs to go to a different directory, you'll need to modify each
    instances jrun.xml file:
    <jrun>/servers/<instance>/SERVER-INF/jrun.xml

    Look for the LoggerService section and change the following:
    <attribute
    name="filename">{jrun.rootdir}/logs/{jrun.server.name}-event.log</attribute>
    to something like:
    <attribute
    name="filename">D:/Inetpub/LogFiles/CFLogs/{jrun.server.name}-{log.level}.log

    As for the CF logs, the eventgateway and server logs are created by default.
    The other won't get created until something specific happens, e.g. Application
    and Exception will be created when an error happens.

    Andy

    xentrix Guest

  7. #7

    Thank you.