Professional Web Applications Themes

How does one sell photographs through galleries? - Photography

How does one sell photographs through commercial galleries? There are hundreds of commercial street front art galleries around New England, where I live. I'm an amateur photographer, and a rather good one, I'm told. How would I go about selling my photos through those galleries? Would I take my works around to the galleries as prints in a big portfolio case? Would they need to be full sized, or could I show 8x10s and then send larger prints later? Do galleries sell on commission, or would I set my own fixed price for each print? Can I still sell my ...

  1. #1

    Default How does one sell photographs through galleries?

    How does one sell photographs through commercial galleries? There are
    hundreds of commercial street front art galleries around New England, where
    I live. I'm an amateur photographer, and a rather good one, I'm told. How
    would I go about selling my photos through those galleries?

    Would I take my works around to the galleries as prints in a big portfolio
    case? Would they need to be full sized, or could I show 8x10s and then send
    larger prints later? Do galleries sell on commission, or would I set my own
    fixed price for each print? Can I still sell my photos on my website if
    they're available in galleries? Would galleries insist on exclusivity of
    some sort?

    Well you can see that I have a lot of questions. Will somebody who knows
    about these things please post a brief explanation of how gallery art sales
    of photographs generally work. Thanks in advance.

    Casual Guest

  2. #2

    Most galleries will sell on commission. You have to go and visit and ask
    each one. Expect a lot of rejections up front. I find many galleries who did
    commissions 15 years ago are not accepting them anymore because of the tough
    market and space. Most of them deal with publishers who have groups of
    popular artists and have no room for "outsiders". Beware of scams that want
    YOU to pay to display your work. Don't expect to get rich. The art market is
    one tough nut to crack.

    You may want to have some of the work professionally framed so it will look
    more pleasing to potential customers. That can be expensive so learning to
    frame yourself can save $$.

    bg

    "Casual Clicker" <com> wrote in message
    where
    send
    own
    sales

    BG250 Guest

  3. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Tony Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. #4

    Yes, take a case of samples- full sized and framed. The framing is a
    big part of this. I second one other suggestion to maybe consider
    having commercial framing.

    It is a little disheartening sometimes for photographers to realize that
    the image isn't everything, but that is part of the business. Selling
    through galleries takes a lot of hard work, mostly marketing. Yes, most
    galleries sell on commission. Some galleries insist on exclusivity,
    others don't.

    Casual Clicker wrote:

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota
    net

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    PQ Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Tony Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    This is a different approach but it works. Find a gallery that has an
    annual show, in your case for photography. Send them an email. Tell them
    that you like their gallery and you would like to be considered for their
    show. Ask them to please take a look at your web page, include the link and
    thank them. Then, wait. This has worked for me every time I've tried it.
    Keep the email short and to the point. If they are interested, they will
    reply and you're in the show. Once you are accepted into a show, if your
    work sales and gets good response, they will ask you for more work.
    They will Only want exclusivity if you are so good that they can't keep your
    work, if that is the case, you have no problems.
    If you show in galleries and on your website, you must get your prices the
    same. You can't sell one painting for 50% less than a similar one that is
    in the gallery even though you will get all the money instead of half.
    Clients need to see the same price in both places, so does the gallery.
    Galleries wouldn't sell your work if you are selling for half price.
    If you go to a gallery, take two small framed and ready to hang works. Get
    there about 30 minutes after they open on a week day. Print your name and
    contact information, the title, size and retail price of each work all on
    one sheet of paper. If they can't look at your work, ask if you can leave
    it until they have time to see it.
    Good luck
    jean
    "Casual Clicker" <com> wrote in message