Professional Web Applications Themes

how does Virtual PC work? - Mac Applications & Software

Hi I'm about to get my first mac but I've got just 1 program that has to be run on a PC. (Comstock's Aspen Graphics). I understand that this can be achieved with Virtual PC but I got a coupla questions Does VPC run on top of mac OS so you have access to the mac as well? How much resources will VPC running 1 program take up? The program in question isnt power hungry on a PC (it runs smoothly on a 233 mhz PC), so what would be the recommended speed of the mac I should get? TIA...

  1. #1

    Default how does Virtual PC work?

    Hi

    I'm about to get my first mac but I've got just 1 program that has to be
    run on a PC. (Comstock's Aspen Graphics). I understand that this can be
    achieved with Virtual PC but I got a coupla questions

    Does VPC run on top of mac OS so you have access to the mac as well?
    How much resources will VPC running 1 program take up?
    The program in question isnt power hungry on a PC (it runs smoothly on a 233
    mhz PC), so what would be the recommended speed of the mac I should get?

    TIA

    Z-bone Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: how does Virtual PC work?

    Z-bone <hotmail.com> wrote:

    Yes.

    http://aplawrence.com/Reviews/virtualpc.html

    Fair amount of ram.

    The faster the better for vpc.

    tony@aplawrence.com Guest

  3. #3

    In article <bj4dft$dgv$singnet.com.sg>,
    "Z-bone" <hotmail.com> wrote:

    VPC is an application that runs an entire Windows environment in emulation. You
    can run it in fullscreen or in a window, but MacOS is always running in the
    background and you can run Mac applications at the same time naturally.

    But, if you plan on being dependant on VPC, you shouldn't get the latest Macs
    (i.e. the G5) since VPC is incompatible with it. BUt if those are you system
    requirements, you wouldn't need the latest and greates Mac to match them.

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman Guest

  4. #4

    On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 18:08:24 +0800, Z-bone <hotmail.com> wrote:

    Virtual PC is a great way to run programs that you can't find versions
    of, or equivalents of, for the mac.

    Yes; it opens up a window, within which is the Windows desktop.
    Icons, start -> applications -> etc, just a smaller window than your
    whole screen. You can minimize it, print from it, use the CD/DVD from
    it, sound works, etc.

    Once the virtual machine is running, adding programs don't seem to add
    much if any noticable load.

    Buy the fastest Mac you can afford - if it's a case of limited funds, get
    the fastest CPU and go cheap on the hard drive. You can always upgrade
    that later, and they keep getting cheaper; CPU upgrades aren't worth
    doing, so if you're going to save money, save it on something you can
    switch out.

    I use VPC for 2 or 3 apps that I prefer to use the 'doze version of.
    It's noticably slower than native Mac apps, but it's faster than the
    P2-450 that I have for a PC. (This is on an 800MHz G4 iMac).

    It's money well-spent, and if it saves you from buying 2 or 3 titles,
    it pays for itself.

    Dave Hinz

    Dave Guest

  5. #5

    In article <bj4dft$dgv$singnet.com.sg>,
    "Z-bone" <hotmail.com> wrote:

    If you happen to have a Windows 2000 server installed you can run
    Terminal Services on it and access it with Microsoft's Remote Desktop
    Client (which is free).

    --
    I don't speak for my company and it doesn't speak for me.
    dano Guest

  6. #6

    dano <net> wrote:

    He can even use Windows XP, at least in its Pro version [which I do].
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    Per Guest

  7. #7

    >But, if you plan on being dependant on VPC, you shouldn't get the latest Macs

    Not suprising since Microsoft now owns VPC
    DD
    David Guest

  8. #8

    On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 18:08:24 +0800, as the moon rose into the night's
    sky, Z-bone ed back his head and howled:

    Are limited to using Aspen Graphics specifically due to an employer
    requirement, or by a lack (or perceived lack) of a comparable app for
    the Mac platform? Version Tracker lists a few apps for stock traders
    that may well be suitable replacements for you if you "can" use anything
    you want.
    Just Guest

  9. #9

    In article <com>, David
    DeCristoforo <net> wrote:

    > Not suprising since Microsoft now owns VPC[/ref]

    Actually, VPC was made incompatible with the G5 back in version 4.0,
    when Connectix harnessed the PowerPC's hardware little-endian mode to
    improve performance on the G3 and G4. The G5 processor does not
    support this mode. So if you want to blame someone, blame IBM; they're
    the ones that omitted this functionality from the processor. (But
    don't blame them too much. As far as I know, Virtual PC is the only
    Macintosh application that uses this functionality. It's hard to
    justify abuse for leaving out something only one application ever
    used.)

    Microsoft has stated that they will release a version of Virtual PC
    that will run on the G5 in a few months. They will have to do the
    byte-swapping in software now, which means that cycle for cycle, VPC
    will probably be slower on the G5 than on the G4. If we're lucky, they
    will find other places that the G5 can speed up the emulation and we'll
    break even. Maybe Panther will help too.

    Remember, the engineers working on VPC at Microsoft are mostly the same
    ones who were working on it at Connectix. They are no slouches
    technically and I don't think the different signature on their paycheck
    will suddenly make them incompetent.

    When replying by e-mail, use plain text ONLY to make sure I read it.
    Due to spam and viruses, I filter all mail with HTML or attachments.
    Jerry Guest

  10. #10

    On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 00:26:56 -0700, Jerry Kindall <invalid> wrote:

    I wouldn't question their competence, but I do question the
    motivations of their manager's manager's manager, for instance.
    It's a good product, and it'd be a shame to see it go the way of
    so many of the other things Microsoft has bought up to kill.

    Dave Hinz

    Dave Guest

  11. #11

    In article <bj7bt5$gg9r8$news.uni-berlin.de>, Dave Hinz
    <net> wrote:

    > I wouldn't question their competence, but I do question the
    > motivations of their manager's manager's manager, for instance.
    > It's a good product, and it'd be a shame to see it go the way of
    > so many of the other things Microsoft has bought up to kill.[/ref]

    Yes, I'm sure Microsoft spent a buttload of money and hired a bunch of
    people to keep Macintosh users from buying Windows licenses... ;)

  12. #12

    Dave Hinz <net> wrote:

    > I wouldn't question their competence, but I do question the
    > motivations of their manager's manager's manager, for instance.
    > It's a good product, and it'd be a shame to see it go the way of
    > so many of the other things Microsoft has bought up to kill.[/ref]

    As long as they support MacOS with Office X - why should they kill VPC?
    Microsoft doesn't sell computers, they sell software.
    --
    Per Erik Rønne
    Per Guest

  13. #13

    On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 08:37:38 -0700, Jerry Kindall <invalid> wrote:

    > Yes, I'm sure Microsoft spent a buttload of money and hired a bunch of
    > people to keep Macintosh users from buying Windows licenses... ;)[/ref]

    Large companies have done stranger things before, to get to an ultimate
    goal. I used to work for a very, very, very large company whose name
    sounds a lot like "GE", who spent an awful lot of money moving a
    particular division from England to the US, only to shut it down entirely
    shortly thereafter. Not saying it's some sort of Evil-Bill conspiracy,
    I'm saying that if it turns out to be that sort of a deal, it'd be a
    shame.

    Dave Hinz

    Dave Guest

  14. #14

    > Yes, I'm sure Microsoft spent a buttload of money and hired a bunch of

    That's not what they're doing. When you buy VPC you are also buying a
    license of Windows or DOS or Linux, whichever OS you want to run. So in
    fact it is a good thing for them to do. What a better way to increase your
    market share than to sell a product that allows someone on a different
    platform to run your OS.

    Just my $.02.

    Scott
    Scott Guest

  15. #15

    On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 17:45:15 +0200, Per Rønne <dk> wrote:

    > As long as they support MacOS with Office X - why should they kill VPC?
    > Microsoft doesn't sell computers, they sell software.[/ref]

    Well...they just killed IE for OS X (no loss, in my opinion), so their
    level of commitment to the platform is, if anything, decreasing.

    Like I said, not saying it's *going* to happen, just saying it'd be a
    shame if it *did* happen, and it's not unthinkable by any means.

    Dave Guest

  16. #16

    On 4 Sep 2003 16:22:15 GMT, Dave Hinz <net> wrote:

    >Well...they just killed IE for OS X (no loss, in my opinion), so their
    >level of commitment to the platform is, if anything, decreasing.[/ref]

    Not really the same thing. IE was free software, so it cost them
    money to maintain it. VPC is purely commercial and *expensive*
    commercial at that, so it will *make* them money instead of cost them
    money.

    In fact, with OEM pricing, they'll probably make more money from a Mac
    user with VPC and Windoze than they'd make from someone with an Intel-
    or AMD-based box.

    =IML=

    Remove the "removethis" to reply

    ** Help stop Internet SPAM! Join the **
    ** Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial E-mail **
    ** (CAUCE). Visit http://www.cauce.org **
    Ira Guest

  17. #17

    In article <bj7orn$fvajs$news.uni-berlin.de>,
    Dave Hinz <net> wrote:

    >> As long as they support MacOS with Office X - why should they kill VPC?
    >> Microsoft doesn't sell computers, they sell software.[/ref]
    >
    >Well...they just killed IE for OS X (no loss, in my opinion), so their
    >level of commitment to the platform is, if anything, decreasing.
    >
    >Like I said, not saying it's *going* to happen, just saying it'd be a
    >shame if it *did* happen, and it's not unthinkable by any means.[/ref]

    Pretty much anything Microsoft does is geared towards increasing
    operating system sales. VPC increases their OS sales, since most people
    will buy a copy of a Windows OS with it. So they make money out of it.

    IE for Mac was shooting themselves in the foot; it gave people an excuse
    *not* to buy a Microsoft OS, so of course they've killed it. Sound
    business sense, from their point of view.

    Tim

    Tim Guest