Professional Web Applications Themes

how hard to replace titanium internal hard drive? How to cloneold hard drive onto it? - Mac Portable

Hi all - I have a 2001 titanium laptop with a 20 Gig hard drive. The thing is getting too full and I'm toying with the idea of getting a bigger one and replacing it. Questions: 1) how hard is it to do myself? Is it easy to ruin/break something or is it pretty simple to do it right? 2) are there instructions somewhere on-line? 3) are there different brands of drives I can buy? If so, any suggestions for good ones or ones to avoid? and 4) I don't want to re-install the OS, software, preferences, GUI behavior, etc. ...

  1. #1

    Default how hard to replace titanium internal hard drive? How to cloneold hard drive onto it?

    Hi all -

    I have a 2001 titanium laptop with a 20 Gig hard drive. The thing is
    getting too full and I'm toying with the idea of getting a bigger one and
    replacing it. Questions: 1) how hard is it to do myself? Is it easy to
    ruin/break something or is it pretty simple to do it right? 2) are there
    instructions somewhere on-line? 3) are there different brands of drives I
    can buy? If so, any suggestions for good ones or ones to avoid? and 4) I
    don't want to re-install the OS, software, preferences, GUI behavior, etc.
    Is it possible to clone my internal drive onto the new one somehow so that
    when I swap it, I get my old file system and computer behavior back
    *exactly* as it was, plus a bunch of free space? Or are there invisible
    files kept in specific sectors or other weird disk-specific properties that
    will not work? Is there any way to put things on a new drive to have an
    exact copy of the old files? Thanks in advance for any info. If possible,
    please cc: replies to [email]mlevin77comcast.net[/email].

    Mike

    Mike Levin Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: how hard to replace titanium internal hard drive? How toclone old hard drive onto it?

    in article 1fxoit8.138okjhp8o3lsN%flavio_matanitakethisbitout mac.com,
    Flavio Matani at [email]flavio_matanitakethisbitoutmac.com[/email] wrote on 7/6/03 9:30
    AM:
    > can't help you with the changing the drive, but when you manage to do
    > it, Carbon Copy Cloner (don't have the URL at hand, check macupdate.com)
    > can transfer your old system -in fact, the whole of your old drive's
    > content, to your new one.
    great idea. I looked it up but only saw an OSX version. Do you have any idea
    where I can get one (maybe an older version) for OS9?

    Mike

    Mike Levin Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: how hard to replace titanium internal hard drive? How to clone old hard drive onto it?

    In article <BB2C737E.10C32%mlevin77comcast.net>,
    Mike Levin <mlevin77comcast.net> wrote:
    > Hi all -
    >
    > I have a 2001 titanium laptop with a 20 Gig hard drive. The thing is
    > getting too full and I'm toying with the idea of getting a bigger one and
    > replacing it. Questions: 1) how hard is it to do myself? Is it easy to
    > ruin/break something or is it pretty simple to do it right? 2) are there
    > instructions somewhere on-line?
    You can find a service manual for this Mac at
    <http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/manuals.html>. It will include
    disassembly/replacement instructions, with pictures.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    Macaroni, Automated System Maintenance for Mac OS X.
    Version 1.4: Best cleanup yet, gets files other tools miss.
    See [url]http://www.atomicbird.com/[/url]
    Tom Harrington Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: how hard to replace titanium internal hard drive? How to clone old hard drive onto it?

    In article <BB2DE6F5.10CFE%mlevin77comcast.net>, Mike Levin
    <mlevin77comcast.net> wrote:
    > in article 1fxoit8.138okjhp8o3lsN%flavio_matanitakethisbitout mac.com,
    > Flavio Matani at [email]flavio_matanitakethisbitoutmac.com[/email] wrote on 7/6/03 9:30
    > AM:
    >
    > > can't help you with the changing the drive, but when you manage to do
    > > it, Carbon Copy Cloner (don't have the URL at hand, check macupdate.com)
    > > can transfer your old system -in fact, the whole of your old drive's
    > > content, to your new one.
    >
    > great idea. I looked it up but only saw an OSX version. Do you have any idea
    > where I can get one (maybe an older version) for OS9?
    for os9 and earlier, to copy a drive simply drag everything to the new
    drive. doesn't get any simpler than that. there is no need for special
    cloning software.

    as for they physical swap, its not too bad, but do look at the service
    manual if possible. its easier than swapping a drive in an ibook.
    nospam Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: how hard to replace titanium internal hard drive? How to clone old hard drive onto it?

    Tom Harrington <tphpcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:
    > You can find a service manual for this Mac at
    > <http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/manuals.html>. It will include
    > disassembly/replacement instructions, with pictures.
    I have seem web sites that appeared very similar to the above. Maybe
    they are all the same. In any case, I have never been able to download
    anything useful. Sometimes, the owner manuals are complete, sometimes
    not. Yet the service manuals are always corrupted. Either they
    download as zero length files, or they are arbitrarily truncated in the
    middle of the file.

    Has anyone been able to get anything useful? Is it a game of
    "whack-a-mole", in which Apple active pursues these sites?
    Not Exactly Thrilled Guest

  6. #6

    Default Re: how hard to replace titanium internal hard drive? How to clone old hard drive onto it?

    In article <usenetOnly-21BCBB.10142307072003newstest2.earthlink.net>,
    Not Exactly Thrilled <usenetOnlyearthlink.net> wrote:
    > Tom Harrington <tphpcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:
    >
    > > You can find a service manual for this Mac at
    > > <http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/manuals.html>. It will include
    > > disassembly/replacement instructions, with pictures.
    >
    > I have seem web sites that appeared very similar to the above. Maybe
    > they are all the same. In any case, I have never been able to download
    > anything useful. Sometimes, the owner manuals are complete, sometimes
    > not. Yet the service manuals are always corrupted. Either they
    > download as zero length files, or they are arbitrarily truncated in the
    > middle of the file.
    >
    > Has anyone been able to get anything useful? Is it a game of
    > "whack-a-mole", in which Apple active pursues these sites?
    Apple seems to shut them down. As of last night I was able to get a
    manual from the above-mentioned site, though.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    Macaroni, Automated System Maintenance for Mac OS X.
    Version 1.4: Best cleanup yet, gets files other tools miss.
    See [url]http://www.atomicbird.com/[/url]
    Tom Harrington Guest

  7. #7

    Default Re: how hard to replace titanium internal hard drive? How to clone old hard drive onto it?

    In article <tph-378D69.11244607072003localhost>,
    Tom Harrington <tphpcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:
    > In article <usenetOnly-21BCBB.10142307072003newstest2.earthlink.net>,
    > Not Exactly Thrilled <usenetOnlyearthlink.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Tom Harrington <tphpcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:
    > >
    > > > You can find a service manual for this Mac at
    > > > <http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/manuals.html>. It will include
    > > > disassembly/replacement instructions, with pictures.
    > >
    > > I have seem web sites that appeared very similar to the above. Maybe
    > > they are all the same. In any case, I have never been able to download
    > > anything useful. Sometimes, the owner manuals are complete, sometimes
    > > not. Yet the service manuals are always corrupted. Either they
    > > download as zero length files, or they are arbitrarily truncated in the
    > > middle of the file.
    > >
    > > Has anyone been able to get anything useful? Is it a game of
    > > "whack-a-mole", in which Apple active pursues these sites?
    >
    > Apple seems to shut them down. As of last night I was able to get a
    > manual from the above-mentioned site, though.
    There is also a tutorial with pictures of this hard drive replacement
    process at xlryourmac.com. It's easy to follow. The best way to do the
    software clone is to first put the new disk in an external firewire
    case, clone the old one using Carbon Copy Cloner (versiontracker.com)
    and then install the new drive internally, keeping the old one as a
    spare/backup in the ext. FW case. I've done this several times and it's
    straightforward.


    ----== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    [url]http://www.newsfeed.com[/url] The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
    Charles Bouldin Guest

  8. #8

    Default Re: how hard to replace titanium internal hard drive? How to clone old hard drive onto it?

    Not Exactly Thrilled <usenetOnlyearthlink.net> wrote:
    > Inospam <nospamnospam.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > > for os9 and earlier, to copy a drive simply drag everything to the new
    > > drive. doesn't get any simpler than that. there is no need for special
    > > cloning software.
    >
    > I'm confused. How do you get both drives connected to a PB at the same
    > time? Can the new drive be temporarily mounted in a firewire enclosure?
    yes

    of course it has to be one that takes notebook 2.5 drives



    --
    flavio matani
    guitar tuition and performing
    homepage.mac.com/flavio_matani/guitar/
    Flavio Matani Guest

Similar Threads

  1. Where is that hard drive?
    By Chuck in forum Ubuntu
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: February 5th, 07:08 AM
  2. USB Hard Drive
    By Digital Directory Usa in forum PHP Development
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 23rd, 06:19 PM
  3. 120 GB hard drive on old P75
    By Carl D. Blake in forum Debian
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 21st, 04:00 PM
  4. I need help installing a internal hard drive in my Mac g4.
    By Healthy Stealthy ; in forum Mac Applications & Software
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 18th, 11:06 PM
  5. new hard drive--now what?
    By atomseed webforumsuser@macromedia.com in forum Macromedia Dreamweaver
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 17th, 11:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139