Professional Web Applications Themes

How much drive space for Linux? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

How much drive space should I set aside for Linux (the root partition)? I will have a full kde & gnome system, plus five or ten applications. Is 4 gigs enough? Thanks Jim (this is a repost...my other ISP never sent it out, so apologies if it appears again) re: How much drive space for Linux?...

  1. #1

    Default How much drive space for Linux?

    How much drive space should I set aside for Linux (the root partition)?
    I will have a full kde & gnome system, plus five or ten applications.
    Is 4 gigs enough?

    Thanks
    Jim

    (this is a repost...my other ISP never sent it out, so apologies if it
    appears again)

    re: How much drive space for Linux?
    Jim Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How much drive space for Linux?

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:54:19 -0700, Jim Kroger wrote:

    Should be plenty. I load all software groups and pick through to add
    other apps on Mandrake linux. You do need space for downloaded updates.

    df -h /
    /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/part7
    4.7G 2.7G 1.8G 61% /
    Bit Guest

  3. #3

    Jim Kroger wrote:

    With some recent distros (RH9, FC1, Suse9) I've found it took about
    2.5-3 GB for all the apps I wanted. If you could afford to give it ~5, I
    think you should be really good.

    --

    Mauriat (www.mjmwired.net)
    ----------------------------

    Mauriat Guest

  4. #4

    In article <com>,
    Mauriat <usenetNOSPAMmjmwired[dot]net> wrote:

    Thanks. That's what I'm wondering....if it fits in 3, why do I need the
    extra 2? I'll have a data partition for all data, temp stuff, etc...and
    separate swap partition.

    Thanks
    Jim
    Jim Guest

  5. #5

    At earth time Tue, 27 Jan 2004 20:54:19 -0700, the following transmission
    was received from the entity known as Jim Kroger:

    my root partition (basically all the stuff that's installed by the distro,
    with everything i've set up myself on another partition) is up to 4.1 G
    now, but i have a lot of apps installed. it's awkward to have applications
    split between partitions, so good to leave space if you can spare it.

    --
    http://www.niftybits.ukfsn.org/

    remove 'n-u-l-l' to email me. html mail or attachments will go in the spam
    bin unless notified with [html] or [attachment] in the subject line.

    Andy Guest

  6. #6

    Which version you are trying to setup ?
    Newer versions takes much space. RH -9 will demand for around 2.7 GB
    to setup everything I mean Gnome , Kde & other .
    You just keep root partition of size more than 3.5 Gb .

    For swap space keep the size of partition just greator than the double
    of your physical memory size(RAM).

    OR you can create a /boot partition for keeping kernel & other files
    and rest of your harddisk for your own purpose .
    vin Guest

  7. #7

    I just installed Mandrake 9.2. Installing everything except the games took
    1.8G.

    Jim Kroger wrote:

    --
    remove .spam from address to reply by e-mail.
    James Guest

  8. #8

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 00:10:38 -0700, Jim Kroger <com> wrote:

     [/ref]

    Do you ever install additional libraries/applications?
    TCS Guest

  9. #9

    Jim Kroger wrote:

    This may sound dumb, but _it depends_ on what you will be keeping in the
    root partition. If you have separate partitions for / and for /usr,
    /tmp, /var, then 500Megabytes for / should be OK. If they are all
    combined, 5Gigabytes may not be enough. On my system, / and /usr are
    combined (though they will not be on my new system). This machine is
    like this this morning (often /data1 and /data2 are about 30% full):

    Filesystem 1k-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda2 5365176 2837148 2255492 56% /
    /dev/sda1 49558 24411 22588 52% /boot
    /dev/sda3 2015824 197068 1798276 10% /data1
    /dev/sdb2 2015824 197524 1797820 10% /data2
    /dev/sdb1 5780400 1311696 4175076 24% /home
    /dev/sda5 1007880 277172 679512 29% /opt
    /dev/sda6 190387 4360 176198 3% /tmp
    /dev/sda7 192352 61444 120976 34% /var

    The way I run, /tmp and /var are not really large enough.
    /tmp is usually empty as you see. But if I download a Gigabyte long file
    using Mozilla, it puts it in /tmp first, and then copies it where I tell
    it to go, and I cannot actually do it. Usually I can run ncftp and do it
    directly, but some sites require an https login and you must use
    whatever browser you used to finish the job.

    /var slowly builds up, so I have a cron job that removes old stuff
    (up2date history in Red Hat, and tripwire stuff, for examples).

    There is a lot of stuff that gets loaded into /usr that should be in
    /usr/local or /opt. All of IBM's DB2 (hundreds of megabytes) is a case
    in point. There does not seem to be any practical place to move it. IBM
    is not the only offender like that.

    I happen to keep /boot as a separate partition for historical reasons,
    but if you have a modern system, you need not do that. I like it because
    I can keep everyone else from writing in there more easily.

    Have you run both kde and gnome before? I suggest, in any case, to try
    both and see which you like best. Then do not install the other unless
    yours is actually run as a multi-user system and the other users do not
    agree on what they want.

    It is enough for some users. I had Red Hat Linux on a P166 on a 4.2GB
    hard drive (that died about a month ago: machine bought in mid 1996). I
    do not know about more recent distributions, but they may well fit as
    well. And that 4.2GBytes was for everything, not just the root
    partition; i.e., swap, /boot, /, /home, /tmp, and /var. But all I ever
    ran on there was Samba, nfs, setiathome, ssh.

    /V\ Registered Machine 73926.
    ^^-^^ 9:40am up 21 days, 21:05, 2 users, load average: 2.17, 2.14, 2.10

    Jean-David Guest

  10. #10

    Jim Kroger wrote:

    > Thanks. That's what I'm wondering....if it fits in 3, why do I need the
    > extra 2? I'll have a data partition for all data, temp stuff, etc...and
    > separate swap partition.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Jim[/ref]

    A kernel recompile can take upwards of 300MB. If you ever install extra
    libraries or new apps, space gets eaten up pretty quickly (i.e. updating
    gnome or KDE). Of course if you exclusively do all compiles and
    downloads etc. on a separate partition, I guess you don't need the extra
    space. Your computer, your choice.

    --

    Mauriat (www.mjmwired.net)
    ----------------------------

    Mauriat Guest

  11. #11

    In <zianet.com>, on 01/27/2004
    at 08:54 PM, Jim Kroger <com> said:

    The Devil is in the details. It depends on what you're installing and
    on whether you want source code. Not counting /home, SUSE Linux
    Professional is taking up 2 GiB on one machine and over 3 GiB on
    another; I suspect that yours will be considerably smaller. Why not do
    a trial install, see what it takes, then repartition for the real
    thing?

    In my case I had a spare machine, so that was easy, and my current
    production machine doesn't have any space left, so I had to stick with
    2 GiB or cut back on /home. I expect to spread out more the next time
    I upgrade the machine. I suspect that if you only have a dozens
    applications then you'll need a lot less space then I do. OTOH, if you
    start looking at what else is available, . . .

    Unsolicited bulk E-mail will be subject to legal action. I reserve
    the right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive E-mail.

    Reply to domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me. Do
    not reply to lspace.org

    Shmuel Guest

  12. #12

    In article <40181597$5$fuzhry+tra$patriot.net>
    lspace.org.invalid (Seymour J.) writes:

    >The Devil is in the details. It depends on what you're installing and
    >on whether you want source code. Not counting /home, SUSE Linux
    >Professional is taking up 2 GiB on one machine and over 3 GiB on
    >another; I suspect that yours will be considerably smaller. Why not do
    >a trial install, see what it takes, then repartition for the real
    >thing?[/ref]

    I've just installed Slackware 9.1 (kernel 2.4.22) on a laptop with
    a 12GB drive. Love that disk space - my existing laptop has a 1.3GB
    drive, and although Slack 3.5 (2.0.34) fit quite nicely (the full
    installation took 400 megs), Slack 7 (2.2.13) took nearly a gig, so
    I had to choose my packages and it's still kinda tight, even though
    I put everything into a single partition (plus swap, of course).

    On the new machine I decided to try partitioning a bit more.
    When I googled for information on partitioning, I got all sorts
    of conflicting signals. Some people recommend all sorts of
    partitions, some say just set up / and /usr/local. Someone
    says that allocating your swap partition first will lead to
    pain and suffering, while someone else says the same fate will
    befall you if you set up swap last. I'm beginning to think
    that the only rule is that there are no rules.

    In the end, I set up a 256M swap partition, 2GB for /, and the
    rest for /home, and tried doing a full install. It failed; 2GB
    is not enough. I tried again with 3GB for / and it seems to be
    working OK; df reports that / is 70% full.

    I guess the solution is to read all you can, then ignore it and
    do it by trial and error...

    --
    /~\ invalid (Charlie Gibbs)

    Charlie Guest

  13. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Ed Guest
    Moderated Post

  14. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Johan Guest
    Moderated Post

  15. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Jean-David Guest
    Moderated Post

  16. #16

    In article <invalid>,
    Charlie Gibbs <invalid> wrote:

    That sounds about right for Slack 9.1 - I think mine took about 2.2GB with
    the default full install (KDE + Gnome) on Reiser. This is probably one of
    the smaller full installations of a mainstream distro.

    Richard.

    Richard Guest