Professional Web Applications Themes

How much memmory? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

How much memmory should I have to run PE?...

  1. #1

    Default How much memmory?

    How much memmory should I have to run PE?
    Keith8 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How much memmory?

    Keith,
    More is better. 1 Gigabyte is a good number. Less than 512 Megabytes will probably slow you down, particularly when you are working on large images, or multilayer images. Some people think 2 Gigabytes is the right number. Kinda depends on what kind of work you are doing in Photoshop. I ran PSE on a machine with 128 megs for awhile. When working on large images, it was constantly swapping out to disk. It was veeeerrrrryyyyyy slow.
    Bert
    Bert Bigelow Guest

  3. #3

    Having a dedicated scratch disk that is not your startup volume will also help. You should have this scratch disk/partition/volume be empty of other files that you care about because a scratch disk will become very fragmented very quickly. If your primary scratch disk is your startup volume access to it will be a lot slower. Photoshop/Elements often go straight to scratch disk for complex processing, even if you still have some ram available. But as Bert said, as far as ram, the correct answer to your question is "more".
    Elena Murphy Guest

  4. #4

    Elena,
    I think our thread creator came, posted, and left, never to return.
    Oh well. We tried to help.
    Bert Bigelow Guest

  5. #5

    Do I really need to buy more memory? How much more? Here's my problem: I'm trying to merge two images into one. After everything is set up and I click "okay" the program trys and then comes back with a failure message that I have insufficient memory. Well, it's a good Dell Pentium with 256 Mb of memory -not to mention the virtual memory of almost 30,000 Mb. I don't mind adding more memory, but will it really fix the problem? And if 256 or 30,256 is not enough, how much is?? I need to make this merge routine work so thanks an awful lot.

    John Taylor
    adobejohnny@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    You don't say what system you're running; there's some variation among versions of Windows in how memory is managed. I think it's XP that usually takes care of this on its own, but I know from using Elements on my Mac OS 9 that the amount of memory in the computer doesn't always equate to the amount given to Elements, and I have to change that manually.

    Post back with some OS info, and maybe someone can tell you if this might be what you're running into.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Adobe Johnny,

    It helps to have a recently defragmented hard drive so that contiguous space is available for the program, as well as no other programs running.
    Nancy_S@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    In reading the file at <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/12dde.htm>
    it implies that photoshop cannot use more than 2 Gigs of ram!!! I currently have no computer set up with more but I do have one with 2 G's. A Tyan with a 2466 mb running 2400+x2MP's Win 2k. PC2100 registered ram. The motherboard will accept up to 4 G's of Reg ram. There is some confussion as to whether I would see anything over 3.8G's but I don't understand the photoshop restriction. Adobe indicates that it will not run at all if I have more than 2 G's installed!!! This is from their support knowledgebase and not an anonymous forum remark. Can anyone explain or correct this issue? The issue of maximum file size is separate. The exact quote "Photoshop can run only on computers with 2 GB or less of installed physical RAM."
    george_mestas@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    I'm sure this will generate some responses, but it's never come up before that I remember. If you wait until tomorrow, an Adobe person tries to check in. He might be able to give you more information.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    This has got to be because of the compiler(s) used to write the software.
    There's a 2 GB limit that requires some addressing tricks to go to 4 GB and
    if not all of the pieces of your software are written to handle it then
    you're stuck with a 2 GB limit. Otherwise the addresses "rollover" and
    you'll get page faults and all kinds of other errors.

    Adobe will fix it soon since the 64 bit processors make any limit useless
    and old.

    <com> wrote in message
    currently have no computer set up with more but I do have one with 2 G's. A
    Tyan with a 2466 mb running 2400+x2MP's Win 2k. PC2100 registered ram. The
    motherboard will accept up to 4 G's of Reg ram. There is some confussion as
    to whether I would see anything over 3.8G's but I don't understand the
    photoshop restriction. Adobe indicates that it will not run at all if I have
    more than 2 G's installed!!! This is from their support knowledgebase and
    not an anonymous forum remark. Can anyone explain or correct this issue? The
    issue of maximum file size is separate. The exact quote "Photoshop can run
    only on computers with 2 GB or less of installed physical RAM."

    Redmondite Guest

  11. #11

    Default Re: How much memory?

    so far no one has answered this. I would think Adobe should clarify this since it is from their actual files on improving photoshop speed.
    george_mestas@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    AS MUCH AS THAT DADGUM COMPUTER CAN HOLD...
    (running XP Home, with over 1 gig, still not nuff).
    respectfullly
    squidly

    <com> wrote in message
    so far no one has answered this. I would think Adobe should clarify this
    since it is from their actual files on improving photoshop speed.

    ---
    tested and scanned thru AVG

    Guest

  13. #13

    This was posted a long time ago in "forum years" and I forgot all about it. In the meantime I read about the 2GB limit somewhere else, too. I've sent an e-mail to somebody who might be able to give an answer.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest