Professional Web Applications Themes

HOW??? Partition-setup-download - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Is it me or is working with Linux a subject that is not explained well anywhere. I built my pc and I understand a lot about it but this stuff is twisting my mind. I bought the "Teach Yourself Linux in 24 Hours" book a few years ago. I thought, back then, that the bok made no sense as far as setup. But after time I got repartitioned and installed. But I could go no her because I had a junk video card which could not display the linux screen. So I gave up. Now I am trying again. The ...

  1. #1

    Default HOW??? Partition-setup-download

    Is it me or is working with Linux a subject that is not explained well
    anywhere.
    I built my pc and I understand a lot about it but this stuff is
    twisting my mind. I bought the "Teach Yourself Linux in 24 Hours" book
    a few years ago. I thought, back then, that the bok made no sense as
    far as setup. But after time I got repartitioned and installed. But I
    could go no her because I had a junk video card which could not
    display the linux screen. So I gave up.

    Now I am trying again. The book still makes no sense. I don't recall
    the proceedure I used before. So I repartitioned the best I could.
    This is my result...

    DISK 1
    PARTITION TYPE SIZE STATUS PRI/LOG

    * WindowsME FAT32 8016MB Active Primary
    * Extended 4000MB None Primary
    * LinuxExt 2000MB None Logical
    * LinuxSwap 2000MB None Logical
    * Unallocated 7500MB None Primary

    I don't think this is all there is to it so let me know what else I
    need.
    Next, my book w/accompanying cd, uses Mandrake version. I would rather
    use Redhat cause I hear its the best. Is this nessessary or should I
    stick with what I have. If I should use Redhat, is there a free
    download site anywhere? Or is there another version that I could
    download for free?

    And finally(for now), is there a recommended web site that does a
    better job of explaining this topic?

    Thanks...
    Daryl Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: HOW??? Partition-setup-download

    Daryl Helwig <net> wrote:

    The FAQ and other doents on www.tldp.org are not enough?

    Linux can work with every video card or no video card at all, using
    the command line interface trough a serial port. I have many machine
    without a video or keyboard connected and they work flawlessy.

    AFAIK that's enough. Since your linux partition is beyond the first 8
    Gb of disk you need a new version of LILO or Grub to boot it, otherwise
    it could give you some trouble.

    That point is debatable.

    You can get the ISO images from www.linuxiso.org, or you can cough up
    some money and buy the distribution (and printed doentation that
    is worth his weigth in gold) from www.redhat.com.

    Davide
    Davide Guest

  3. #3

    Daryl Helwig <net> wrote:

    It's you. Consider that everyone else using linux has no particular
    problem.

    Silly. Read the Partition HOWTO.

    Silly. Mandrake is better than RH and RH is better than mandrake. It
    depends on your tastes and capabilities. You are a hopeless
    incompetent, so you should use a recent mandrake.

    Yes, there is one everywhere.

    Silly. It is free.

    Any one. Try one.

    Peter
    Peter Guest

  4. #4

    Davide Bianchi <net> wrote in message news:<bl79sp$8orig$news.uni-berlin.de>...

    What happened on my old machine was that when I started Linux and the
    first screen came up (the Wizard), the screen was HUGE. I could only
    see a fraction of it on my screen and I could not scroll or otherwise
    control anything. A low life video card was the only guess I had. I
    finally gave up.

    On this setup, after I partitioned my drive as shown in the above
    post, I then ran the Linux setup I have and everything went ok. After
    the setup, my system started Linux automatically and in the startup
    process it froze. So I hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE to shut down and restart.
    The shut down looked like something was actually happening with Linux.
    There was all kinds of processes executed and finally it shut down.

    I guess my next step is to load the LILO and see if that makes a
    differance.

    You've given me some good info to study further. Thanks. If you have
    more help to offer I will appreciate it.
    Daryl Guest

  5. #5

    Daryl Helwig wrote:

    .... you cant learn it in 24 hours
    ..
    \\\ http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html ///
    mjt Guest

  6. #6

    On 28 Sep 2003 18:04:39 -0700,
    Daryl Helwig <net> wrote:

    > What happened on my old machine was that when I started Linux and the
    > first screen came up (the Wizard), the screen was HUGE. I could only
    > see a fraction of it on my screen and I could not scroll or otherwise
    > control anything. A low life video card was the only guess I had. I
    > finally gave up.

    > On this setup, after I partitioned my drive as shown in the above
    > post, I then ran the Linux setup I have and everything went ok. After
    > the setup, my system started Linux automatically and in the startup
    > process it froze. So I hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE to shut down and restart.
    > The shut down looked like something was actually happening with Linux.
    > There was all kinds of processes executed and finally it shut down.[/ref]

    How long was it froze? While it's frozen try hitting CTRL+ALT+2, if you
    get a console, log in as root and type "init 3", which should stop X,
    from there you can try to get X up yourself.

    Edit /etc/inittab

    Look for the line that sets the default, the default is probably 5,
    change it to 3. The next time you start up it won't start in graphical
    mode.

    id:5:initdefault:

    becomes

    id:3:initdefault:

    Use xf86config to set up X,
    use startx to start XWindows.

    You might want to try:

    startx `which twm`
    startx `which fvwm`

    The first of which should be installed by default.

    After you get Xwindows working you can edit /etc/inittab to start in X
    again.

    HTH,

    Michael C.
    --
    com http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    Michael Guest

  7. #7

    Default Re: HOW??? Partition-setup-download44/

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:

    > It's you. Consider that everyone else using linux has no particular
    > problem.[/ref]

    It's Peter. It's all his fault (which makes as much sense as blaming
    confusing doentation on a newbies' native ability). The partitioning
    HOWTO is not on the installatioin CD's. Looking up "Linux partitioning
    HOWTO" on www.google.com yields hundreds of hits, of varying quality.

    The "Linux Doentation Project" is at www.tldp.org. Go there for a lot
    of really good docs. I'd start from
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html

    > Silly. Read the Partition HOWTO.[/ref]

    Or actually ask for help (which you did). There are plenty of guides
    available, and your installation notes should have some notes.

    But this looks reasonable. Using "fdisk -l" under Linux will give you a
    lot more detailed information about how it's all laid out.

    > Yes, there is one everywhere.[/ref]

    Which answers nothing. www.redhat.com lists a lot of mirror sites: Pick
    one near you. I like rpmfind.net, which has good local bandwidth for
    Boston. But since you'd typically need all 3 CD's at least to do a full
    install, and that takes a *long* time to download, it might well be
    worth actually paying for a copy with the RedHat support you'll get from
    the company. Given you lack of experience, I think you'll find it well
    worth the money.

    *IGNORE* Peter. I swear, he spends his time with newbies like Geoghan
    spent time with altarboys. And it's just as confusing for them, because
    they never did anything *wrong* besides listen to him.

    Nico Guest

  8. #8

    > The "Linux Doentation Project" is at www.tldp.org. Go there for a lot

    Which holds a good partitioning HOWTO indeed

    >> Silly. Read the Partition HOWTO.[/ref]
    >
    > Or actually ask for help (which you did). There are plenty of guides
    > available, and your installation notes should have some notes.
    >
    > But this looks reasonable.[/ref]

    I don't agree.
    for starters, I prefer multiple partitions, but that's the biggest
    problem. Add the unallocatd space to the extended partition.
    Otherwise you're stuck to making only two extra partitions out of it.
    Inside the extended partition, you can create multiple partitions.

    But not more info that would be really relevant here. Well, except
    perhaps the partition type of the extended partition which should
    either be 0x0F or 0x85

    >> Yes, there is one everywhere.[/ref]
    >
    > Which answers nothing. www.redhat.com lists a lot of mirror sites: Pick
    > one near you. I like rpmfind.net, which has good local bandwidth for
    > Boston. But since you'd typically need all 3 CD's at least to do a full
    > install, and that takes a *long* time to download, it might well be
    > worth actually paying for a copy with the RedHat support you'll get from
    > the company. Given you lack of experience, I think you'll find it well
    > worth the money.[/ref]

    Especially if it comes with a book.

    No. Peter usually gives sound advise, although sometimes stated rude.
    His main message is usually to read up on your questions. Fairly often
    that is where people fail. There is a *lot* of good information on
    most subjects. It might take some time to find it though. www.tldp.org
    makes it fairly easy to find the good stuff though.

    Eric
    Eric Guest

  9. #9

    Daryl Helwig on Sunday 28 September 2003 11:27 wrote:

    From your partitioning scheme, it is obvious that you still don't have
    a handle on the basics of Linux. You need more study. For starters
    begin with the HOWTOs here: www.tldp.org The Linux Doentation
    Project. Particularly, the Partitioning and Multi-OS booting HOWTOs.

    Since your book is Mandrake specific, go with Mandrake, which has the
    reputation of being the most newbie friendly. The most current
    version is 9.1, IIRC. After a year or so with Mandrake, you will
    better be able to decide whether Red Hat is for you or if another
    distro would be more suitable. You may just stick with Mandrake.
    Many do.

    Almost all Linux distros are free downloads.

    --
    Stefan Patric
    com