Professional Web Applications Themes

How to accept outputFilename with Adobe PDF driver in Adobe Acrobat 6 - Adobe Acrobat Windows

The below shows the VBA script. It ran fine as is with Acrobat 5.0 when I had "Acrobat PDFWriter". In the below script I replaced "Acrobat PDFWriter" whereever it showed up with "Adobe PDF". The script runs fine and it does bring up the Adobe PDF but then it asks me to manually input the name of the PDF file to create - instead of accepting the string as it did with PDFWriter. Thanks for your help. Peter -------------------------------------- Function test() Format_and_print_reports "CRE Loans Report" End Function Sub Format_and_print_reports(rptName As String) Dim cob As Date cob = getCOB() Dim iniFileName$, ...

  1. #1

    Default How to accept outputFilename with Adobe PDF driver in Adobe Acrobat 6

    --------------------------------------
    Function test()
    Format_and_print_reports "CRE Loans Report"
    End Function

    Sub Format_and_print_reports(rptName As String)
    Dim cob As Date
    cob = getCOB()

    Dim iniFileName$, outputFilename$
    iniFileName$ = getIniFileName$
    outputFilename$ = "G:\RISK\BRUCE\ADOBE\" & rptName & "_" & Format(cob, "mm_dd_yyyy") & ".pdf"
    SetPrivateProfileSetting iniFileName, 0, _
    "Adobe PDF", "PDFFileName", outputFilename$

    'Set_paper_size rptName, 5
    DoCmd.OpenReport rptName, acViewPreview
    Set Reports(rptName).Printer = getPrinter("Adobe PDF")
    Reports(rptName).Printer.PaperSize = acPRPSLetter
    Reports(rptName).Printer.Orientation = acPRORPortrait

    DoCmd.PrintOut
    DoCmd.Close acReport, rptName, acSaveNo
    SetPrivateProfileSetting iniFileName, 0, _
    "Adobe PDF", "PDFFileName", ""
    FileCopy outputFilename$, "Z:\" & Trim(rptName) & ".pdf"
    End Sub
    Peter_Qian@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    The method you were using was described in the PDFWriter API. You now
    need to be using the Distiller API, but it's not a simple change.

    You first print to file with the Adobe PDF printer, using standard
    techniques (not Acrobat specific any more). This makes PostScript.

    Then the Distiller API is used to conver the PostScript to PDF.

    Aandi Inston
    Aandi_Inston@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Aandi,

    Thanks for your help. Do you have a sample code to make this work or from where I can find related information?

    Peter Qian
    Peter_Qian@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    The Distiller API, like the PDFWriter API, is in the Acrobat SDK, so
    start there.

  5. #5

    The Distiller API, like the PDFWriter API, is in the Acrobat SDK, so start
    there.

    Do you mean that serious? 198 USD on a year by year basic to have a look on the Distiller API, a description how should be included in the software doentation? Times has changed.

    I don't need it and don't used it, but have a look at this:
    <http://www.rdpslides.com/psfaq/FAQ00053.htm>

    Best regards, Reinhard Franke
    Reinhard_Franke@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    >Do you mean that serious?

    Is it not true?

  7. #7

    Is it not true?

    Yes it is true, but very very expensive. And latest this come into view, if the SDK 5 is no longer available.

    Best regards, Reinhard

    PS: You may have a look at this discussion about Approval. Adobe should really start to think about their strategy.
    <http://forum.planetpdf.com/wb/default.asp?action=9&read=41152&fid=12>
    Reinhard_Franke@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    >Yes it is true

    Then would you suggest a different answer? Perhaps "give up, it's
    going to cost money?" That doesn't sound very useful.

  9. #9

    I gave a different, hopefully useful answer (#4)

    Reinhard
    Reinhard_Franke@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    That's your privilege, but I always prefer - for developers - to refer
    to first generation doentation, not derived examples or
    presentations.

  11. #11

    but I always prefer ...

    I know. I only wanted to point out, that some information you get normaly with buying a software and we have up to now (based on SDK 5) in the future are not available (for a normal user). And you don't can really want, that I use "Sendkeys" for everything.

    Have a nice evening, Reinhard
    Reinhard_Franke@adobeforums.com Guest