Professional Web Applications Themes

How to add two 3c905-tx cards? - SCO

Hi, I'm running SCO UNIX 3.2v4.21 and have installed two network cards, 3c905-tx (PCI). I Can't get both of these cards running, only one of them. How can I find the base address for my second card? If I configure ro run with one card I can see the base address for that card, 0xfcc0, but I can't find the base address for the second card. I dont't have any diagnostic utility disc to check base address. When running netconfig and setting upp the two cards I must type the base address for each card, the first I know and ...

  1. #1

    Default How to add two 3c905-tx cards?

    Hi,

    I'm running SCO UNIX 3.2v4.21 and have installed two
    network cards, 3c905-tx (PCI).
    I Can't get both of these cards running, only one of them.

    How can I find the base address for my second card?

    If I configure ro run with one card I can see the base
    address for that card, 0xfcc0, but I can't find the base
    address for the second card.

    I dont't have any diagnostic utility disc to check base address.

    When running netconfig and setting upp the two cards
    I must type the base address for each card, the first I
    know and can type in. But when addning the second card,
    3H1 driver, I don't know which base address I shall type in,
    I have tried some addresses but the OS didn't find the card...

    Please help.

    Thanks in advance.

    Greetings Fredrik.

    Freddan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to add two 3c905-tx cards?

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 12:30:15 GMT, "Freddan"
    <com> wrote:

    I think you have to buy (yet) another license to use TWO network cards
    with SUNIX. Apparently it's a bargain at only $699! What a great
    OS!! Not at all for complete idiots with no appreciation for money,
    foresight or self respect... nope...
    --
    FyRE < "War: The way Americans learn geography" >
    FyRE Guest

  3. #3

    FyRE <demon.ku.oc.x> wrote:
     [/ref]

    The previous reply is a lie or this person just wants to instill fud.

    I cannot give you any real insight into solving your problem, but you
    could try reading the AHA llidoc doent and especially the section
    about installing multiple 3c509 cards. It might give you some ideas.

    Have you installed net382e? In the end, you might have to scrounge up
    some old INTEL Pro 100's and install those. You might find that the
    drivers for the Pro 100s were better than the 3c905. Other than that,
    finding an old manually jumpered ISA 10 mbit card may be your next option.

    Rob
    Robert Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks,

    I used the base address 0xfc80.

    Greetings Freddan.

    "Robert Side" <com> skrev i meddelandet
    > [/ref]
    >
    > The previous reply is a lie or this person just wants to instill fud.

    > I cannot give you any real insight into solving your problem, but you
    > could try reading the AHA llidoc doent and especially the section
    > about installing multiple 3c509 cards. It might give you some ideas.
    >
    > Have you installed net382e? In the end, you might have to scrounge up
    > some old INTEL Pro 100's and install those. You might find that the
    > drivers for the Pro 100s were better than the 3c905. Other than that,
    > finding an old manually jumpered ISA 10 mbit card may be your next option.
    >
    > Rob[/ref]

    Freddan Guest

  5. #5

    FyRE wrote:

    > I think you have to buy (yet) another license to use TWO network cards
    > with SUNIX.[/ref]

    ## SIMPLY NOT TRUE ##

    Great comment, honest !

    Now that all the world know that you HATE SCO, stick to something else.

    Best,
    Roberto
    --
    Roberto Zini - Technical Support Manager - email:r.zini<AT>strhold.it
    Technical Support Manager -- Strhold Evolution Division R.E. (ITALY)

    Roberto Guest

  6. #6

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:12:55 +0200, Roberto Zini <com>
    wrote:

    [...]

    >Great comment, honest ![/ref]

    Thanks, nice to see I'm not the only one to see it ;-)

    I think you meant:

    More accurate, don't you think?

  7. #7

    FyRE wrote:

    >>Great comment, honest ![/ref]
    >

    > Thanks, nice to see I'm not the only one to see it ;-)
    >

    > I think you meant:
    >

    > More accurate, don't you think?[/ref]

    Well, I'm not use to "flame war" so I'm not going to start a new one
    but, after reading your comments in this group, it seems that you're
    completely against SCO (and this is your respectable opinion) and I've
    also noticed that some of your comments are totally unrelated to the
    subject of the thread and this makes 'em completely useless.

    The original poster uses an early 90s system and this is his/her
    funeral; if an upgrare is not an option, so be it but you comments about
    paying as to use a second NIC are simply not true.

    Please understand: I'm __NOT__ against Linux as well as I'm __NOT__
    against SCO (we made our living selling SCO's products since 1986) and
    I've got a great respect for all the efforts people put into this
    newsgroup daily.

    It's only that I don't like comments like yours, which reminds me of
    "Your system s; mine is better" threads I've seen in other newsgroups.

    You're against SCO, this is your opinion and a big "thank you" for
    letting us know about that is in order; I'm part of this world, I'm not
    against SCO (at the moment :-) so your second statement is simply not
    true (which makes 2 in a single post, nice one :-).

    Now, if you want to actively contribute to the group, be my guest: if
    not, well, stick to something else.

    Best,
    Roberto

  8. #8

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 13:27:05 +0200, Roberto Zini <com>
    wrote:

    [...]

    If you're actually supporting SCO then you are at best extremely
    naive! Can you not see that the management of the company you are
    blindly suporting has absolutely no interest in you, or any other
    vendor? They are actively killing your revenue stream with their
    actions.

    I can see why you would try to put on a brave face in front of
    customers, since you are, after all, making money by giving them a
    very very bad deal, but I'm surprised you're actually trying to fool a
    technical newsgroup with this charade.

    I'm not claiming any other particular system is "better". Although SCO
    is the worst option for virtually anything these days. Do you actually
    feel *good* after convincing some company to pay ludicrous amounts of
    money for a dead OS, which is vastly out-performed by the competition?
    It reminds me of the news stories of travelling criminals who fool
    little old ladies into paying all their life savings to have their
    (perfectly good) roof tiles replaced. In short, advising anyone to buy
    SCO software is unethical and possibly unlawful (as SCO continue to
    distribute their software with lots of GPL'ed code although they claim
    the GPL is illegal).

    Not just me, Roberto. I'm a member of a community, and unless you've
    been living under a rock (along with McBride and his cohorts, one
    presumes) you'll realise SCO have enraged a huge number of people, and
    companies. The fact they've been contributing to open source projects,
    yet now claim the community have "stolen" from them, the fact they
    refuse to provide ANY evidence of this theft, the blatant stock price
    manipulation, the daily lies to the more gullible members of the
    media... etc... etc... etc...

    The second statement is far closer to the truth than you probably like
    to admit to yourself. SCO are second only to Microsoft in the opinion
    of most of the open source world. They are the worst type of corporate
    s, trying to ride the coat-tails of a successful operating system
    (Linux) by leeching off of its users after their own market has
    failed.

    So I should ask YOUR permission before posting? Only messages
    containing grovelling praise for SCO maybe? Sorry Roberto, but you
    can't bury your head in the sand here. This is a public forum and I'm
    entitled to my opinion, no matter what happens in your country...

    --
    FyRE < "War: The way Americans learn geography" >
    FyRE Guest

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Roberto Guest
    Moderated Post

  10. #10

    --snip--

    I agree with Roberto. I am one of many whos is stuck using SCO for the time
    being. We are working on porting to Linux currently, but in the mean time,
    we are still using SCO. This group has been invaluable for me and I just
    hate seeing it turn into a bunch of immature children slamming people for
    using an OS they don't like. I don't want to defend SCO. I just want this
    ng to continue being a helpful, professional resource for people who need
    it. I am not trying to be some cyber cop, I just wanted to voice my
    opinion.

    It seems like every other post is clogged with an argument about why SCO
    s. It really degenerates from the point of the ng which is finding
    technical support regarding how to fix specific problems.

    > Man, I like this one ![/ref]

    Not all Americans are ignorant about geography. Although it sad that my 5
    year old knows more geography than your average adult.

    BTW, here is my $0.02.

    Justin

    Justin Guest