Professional Web Applications Themes

How to boot a "copied" (9.1) System Folder? - Mac Portable

My PowerBook's hard drive crashed. I replaced it with a new one and successfully copied the data (including the old system files: OS 9.2.2 and OS X 10.2.6) from the backup drive onto the new drive using a desktop Mac via FireWire Target Disk Mode. Now the PB won't boot. All I get is the black apple on gray background (the PB was last running -- before the crash -- on OS X). I can't boot the OS CD on the PB because my CD-ROM drive, I suspect, is having problems. (I've replaced it with a new combo drive, and ...

  1. #1

    Default How to boot a "copied" (9.1) System Folder?

    My PowerBook's hard drive crashed. I replaced it with a new one and
    successfully copied the data (including the old system files: OS 9.2.2 and OS
    X 10.2.6) from the backup drive onto the new drive using a desktop Mac via
    FireWire Target Disk Mode.

    Now the PB won't boot. All I get is the black apple on gray background (the
    PB was last running -- before the crash -- on OS X).

    I can't boot the OS CD on the PB because my CD-ROM drive, I suspect, is
    having problems. (I've replaced it with a new combo drive, and haven't had
    the opportunity to confirm its functionality. It remains an unknown in the
    troubleshooting formula...)

    The only option I could see was to delete the system folders (9.2.2 and X)
    and copy the System Folder from the OS 9.1 CD onto the PB's HD via Target
    Disk Mode. PB wouldn't boot this copied system; just the gray screen with
    black apple.

    (BTW, I can't install OS 9.1 on the PB via Target Disk Mode; the installer
    says "You must boot the installer CD [on the PB] to install the OS there.")

    What are my options? How can I get this copied system to boot the PB? I tried
    resetting PRAM. Is there something I can do in the firmware screen to boot
    this OS? Since I can't boot the OS CD, I can't change the Startup Disk
    setting.

    I'm going to address the CD drive, but I'd like to find a way to boot the HD
    before I fix the CD.

    PowerBook G3/400

    Thanks,
    --
    Dave C.
    [email]dave-usenet3016mailblocks.com[/email]

    DaveC Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to boot a "copied" (9.1) System Folder?

    On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, DaveC wrote:
    > My PowerBook's hard drive crashed. I replaced it with a new one and
    > successfully copied the data (including the old system files: OS 9.2.2 and OS
    > X 10.2.6) from the backup drive onto the new drive using a desktop Mac via
    > FireWire Target Disk Mode.

    You would probably have better luck copying just OS 9 and trying to boot
    into that. OS X doesn't really like being copied about like that (and if
    you just copied the stuff accross in the finder you may have missed
    certain invisble folders like /bin and not been able to copy other items
    due to privilege issues)

    Fred

    Frederick Cheung Guest

  3. #3

    In article <0001HW.BB7D61BF00005C8309F3CC20news.individual.n et>, DaveC <dave-usenet3016mailblocks.com> writes:
    >My PowerBook's hard drive crashed. I replaced it with a new one and
    >successfully copied the data (including the old system files: OS 9.2.2 and OS
    >X 10.2.6) from the backup drive onto the new drive using a desktop Mac via
    >FireWire Target Disk Mode.
    >
    >Now the PB won't boot. All I get is the black apple on gray background (the
    >PB was last running -- before the crash -- on OS X).
    You cannot copy an OSX system folder this way. I have no idea if you can do
    that with an OS9 system folder under OSX, under OS9 it is no problem.
    >I can't boot the OS CD on the PB because my CD-ROM drive, I suspect, is
    >having problems. (I've replaced it with a new combo drive, and haven't had
    >the opportunity to confirm its functionality. It remains an unknown in the
    >troubleshooting formula...)
    That's bad.
    >The only option I could see was to delete the system folders (9.2.2 and X)
    >and copy the System Folder from the OS 9.1 CD onto the PB's HD via Target
    >Disk Mode. PB wouldn't boot this copied system; just the gray screen with
    >black apple.
    The first question is whether you PowerBook is old enough to boot from OS 9.1.
    Provided it is, you have to tell your PowerBook to use the folder in question.
    In addition, the folder has to be "blessed", that is, it should be marked by
    the system as such a folder.

    You may try to boot your Powerbook holding down the "Alt"-key. Then you'll get
    a list of available bootable systems.
    >(BTW, I can't install OS 9.1 on the PB via Target Disk Mode; the installer
    >says "You must boot the installer CD [on the PB] to install the OS there.")
    >
    >What are my options? How can I get this copied system to boot the PB? I tried
    >resetting PRAM. Is there something I can do in the firmware screen to boot
    >this OS? Since I can't boot the OS CD, I can't change the Startup Disk
    >setting.
    You are aware of the fact that booting and pressing "c" will tell your
    PowerBook to boot from CD?

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann
    Immunbiologie
    Postfach 1169 Internet: [email]gartmannimmunbio.mpg.de[/email]
    D-79011 Freiburg, Germany
    [url]http://www.immunbio.mpg.de/home/menue.html[/url]
    Christoph Gartmann Guest

  4. #4

    DaveC <dave-usenet3016mailblocks.com> wrote:
    > My PowerBook's hard drive crashed. I replaced it with a new one and
    > successfully copied the data (including the old system files: OS 9.2.2 and OS
    > X 10.2.6) from the backup drive onto the new drive using a desktop Mac via
    > FireWire Target Disk Mode.
    Is the backup drive bootable? If so, you could copy its contents to the
    new drive using Carbon Copy Cloner, available via VersionTracker.

    > Now the PB won't boot. All I get is the black apple on gray background (the
    > PB was last running -- before the crash -- on OS X).
    Right. You can't make a bootable copy of OS X by drag copying the drive
    or individual folders. The copy of OS 9 should be OK.

    > I can't boot the OS CD on the PB because my CD-ROM drive, I suspect, is
    > having problems. (I've replaced it with a new combo drive, and haven't had
    > the opportunity to confirm its functionality. It remains an unknown in the
    > troubleshooting formula...)
    If you can get booted from anything, you should be able to set the
    startup system to the OS 9 system on the copied-to drive.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Stiller Guest

  5. #5

    The OS 9.1 system folder I copied to the PB's HD shows it is "blessed" (has
    Smiley Face icon) when viewed from desktop Mac via FireWire Target Disk Mode.

    What makes this OS not visible by the PB's firmware (such that it doesn't
    show up as a boot option when holding the Option key down during boot -- see
    #4 below)?

    To answer a few questions posed by replies to my original post:

    1. I copied an OS 9.1 system folder to the PB's HD, not an OS X folder.

    2. The PB *is* new enough to boot 9.1 (a G3 FireWire "Pismo")

    3. I tried holding down the C key at boot time; no joy.

    4. I also tried holding down the Option key at boot: I am shown the OS X
    option only. I click the "Continue" arrow, and then get the international
    "No" sign on the screen" (aka the "No joy" sign). I presume that this is
    because I copied backup files using finder copy which, I further presume,
    doesn't copy a lot of invisible files and renders any copied OS files
    impotent. (Since the backup of the original HD was made using Finder copy, I
    have no OS invisible files on the backup drive, so Carbon Copy Cloner isn't a
    solution for me -- now, anyway. Lessons learned for future use of CCC!)

    After holding down the Option key, if I click the "Check again" (circular
    arrow) button, no other boot options are presented to me. It (thinks it) sees
    only OS X.

    Other suggestions? How the heck can I copy OS 9.1 to this HD and get the darn
    thing to boot?

    Thanks,

  6. #6

    On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:01:00 -0700, DaveC wrote
    (in message <0001HW.BB7E71CC0018349D05E51530news.individual.n et>):
    > The OS 9.1 system folder I copied to the PB's HD shows it is "blessed" (has
    > Smiley Face icon) when viewed from desktop Mac via FireWire Target Disk Mode.
    Oops... this is not true. I checked the folder again and it has no "Smiley
    Face" on it. (Sorry for the confusion.)

    What's required to get this folder to be "blessed"? I copied it directly off
    of the OS 9.1 install CD (not a copy).

    Thanks,

  7. #7

    In article <0001HW.BB7E7554001908F705E57330news.individual.n et>,
    DaveC <dave-usenet3016mailblocks.com> wrote:
    > On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:01:00 -0700, DaveC wrote
    > (in message <0001HW.BB7E71CC0018349D05E51530news.individual.n et>):
    >
    > > The OS 9.1 system folder I copied to the PB's HD shows it is "blessed" (has
    > > Smiley Face icon) when viewed from desktop Mac via FireWire Target Disk
    > > Mode.
    >
    > Oops... this is not true. I checked the folder again and it has no "Smiley
    > Face" on it. (Sorry for the confusion.)
    >
    > What's required to get this folder to be "blessed"? I copied it directly off
    > of the OS 9.1 install CD (not a copy).

    Beginning somewhere around OS 9, Apple did something so that a copy of
    the System folder from the install disk will not boot a computer even if
    it appears to be blessed.

    If you copy your backup copy of OS 9.2.2 to the PB, can you get that
    System folder to show as blessed? If not, try blessing it by opening
    and closing the System suitcase inside the System folder. Sometimes
    removing the Finder and then putting it back into the System folder will
    also bless the System folder.

    If you have any disk utility disks such as Norton's or DiskWarrior that
    would normally be able to boot the PB, you can copy a System folder from
    one of those disks.

    Finally, you can make a blank disk image on the desktop machine and
    install a copy of OS 9.1 to the disk image. From there you should be
    able to copy that System folder to the PB via Target Disk Mode.

    --
    Matt Broughton
    Only relatives are absolute.

  8. #8

    > Finally, you can make a blank disk image on the desktop machine and
    > install a copy of OS 9.1 to the disk image. From there you should be
    > able to copy that System folder to the PB via Target Disk Mode.
    I'm willing to try this, but I don't see how that differs from what I tried
    (see below). The PB seems stuck (Startup Disk parameter?) on OS X being the
    OS to boot, even though there is no System Folder or other visible remnant of
    OS X on the internal HD.

    This is my latest attempt:

    Using my desktop Mac, I installed (not copied) OS 9.1 onto an external
    FireWire drive.

    I connected this drive to the PowerBook, and powered on the PB. Nothing. I
    tried Cmd-Opt-Shift-Delete: nothing flashing folders w/ question marks on
    them. I held down the Option key: nothing but the (partial) OS X option (that
    doesn't boot).

    I even threw out the old system folders (before installing a new OS 9.1), so
    there is only one System folder on the PB's HD, which contains the new 9.1
    installation.

    Is there *anyway* to get this #*)&^% computer to boot OS 9.1 w/o a CD-ROM
    drive???

    I will try your suggestion to create a disk image, install the OS there, then
    copy that to the PB's internal HD. I'll report my success.

    Thanks,

  9. #9

    In article <0001HW.BB7E8A17000168A609F24530news.individual.n et>, DaveC <dave-usenet3016mailblocks.com> writes:
    >This is my latest attempt:
    >
    >Using my desktop Mac, I installed (not copied) OS 9.1 onto an external
    >FireWire drive.
    >
    >I connected this drive to the PowerBook, and powered on the PB. Nothing. I
    >tried Cmd-Opt-Shift-Delete: nothing flashing folders w/ question marks on
    >them. I held down the Option key: nothing but the (partial) OS X option (that
    >doesn't boot).
    I am not sure whether this PowerBook is able to boot from firewire.
    >I even threw out the old system folders (before installing a new OS 9.1), so
    >there is only one System folder on the PB's HD, which contains the new 9.1
    >installation.
    >
    >Is there *anyway* to get this #*)&^% computer to boot OS 9.1 w/o a CD-ROM
    >drive???
    Try to zap the PRAM. PRAM stores the information from where to boot. Once this
    has been cleared the PB should start looking for a bootable system folder and
    hopefully find your OS 9.1 folder.

    I had to realize that once you have the OSX boot option in PRAM you are no
    longer able to boot OS9. The Mac will find the OSX system or part of it and
    boot from that one even if it is a corrupted OSX. The same for the option key
    during boot, OS9 system folders are not displayed if there is OSX on the same
    disk and OSX set in PRAM.

  10. #10

    In article <0001HW.BB7E7554001908F705E57330news.individual.n et>,
    DaveC <dave-usenet3016mailblocks.com> wrote:
    > What's required to get this folder to be "blessed"? I copied it directly off
    > of the OS 9.1 install CD (not a copy).
    IIRC, you can bless a System folder by moving the Finder app out of it,
    and then putting it back in.

    --
    -- Karl J. von Laudermann -- karlvonl(at)rcn.com --
    -- <http://www.geocities.com/~karlvonl/> --

  11. #11

    Also, when you get the flashing question mark, how long did you wait
    before giving up? Sometimes the machine takes a while to find the System
    folder, until you fix this by actually choosing it from the Startup Disk
    control panel.

  12. #12

    In article <0001HW.BB7E8A17000168A609F24530news.individual.n et>,
    DaveC <dave-usenet3016mailblocks.com> wrote:
    > > Finally, you can make a blank disk image on the desktop machine and
    > > install a copy of OS 9.1 to the disk image. From there you should be
    > > able to copy that System folder to the PB via Target Disk Mode.
    >
    > I'm willing to try this, but I don't see how that differs from what I tried
    > (see below). The PB seems stuck (Startup Disk parameter?) on OS X being the
    > OS to boot, even though there is no System Folder or other visible remnant of
    > OS X on the internal HD.
    >
    > This is my latest attempt:
    >
    > Using my desktop Mac, I installed (not copied) OS 9.1 onto an external
    > FireWire drive.
    As you have installed OS 9.1 onto an external disk, you could copy that
    System folder over to the PowerBook. Installing to an external disk
    produces the same results as installing to a disk image.

    > I connected this drive to the PowerBook, and powered on the PB. Nothing. I
    > tried Cmd-Opt-Shift-Delete: nothing flashing folders w/ question marks on
    > them. I held down the Option key: nothing but the (partial) OS X option (that
    > doesn't boot).
    Does the PB support booting from a firewire disk? I always get confused
    as to when that became available.
    > I even threw out the old system folders (before installing a new OS 9.1), so
    > there is only one System folder on the PB's HD, which contains the new 9.1
    > installation.
    >
    > Is there *anyway* to get this #*)&^% computer to boot OS 9.1 w/o a CD-ROM
    > drive???

    Perhaps this might be a case where resetting the open firmware may help.
    You can follow the directions in Apple KB article at
    You will need to reinstall any firmware updates that you previously
    installed after resetting the open firmware.

    The other thought I had (excuse me if I forgot some of what you already
    said you tried) would be to make sure that there are no peripherals
    connected to the PB after you have a bootable OS 9.1 system folder on
    it. This would include removing the replacement CD-ROM drive and/or
    perhaps the defective CD-ROM drive. I have had my computer get hung up
    trying to startup for no apparent reason. After I removed all USB
    devices, it worked fine.

  13. #13

    On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 7:57:36 -0700, Karl von Laudermann wrote
    (in message <karlvonl-B7CFB3.10573606092003reader1.news.rcn.net>):
    > IIRC, you can bless a System folder by moving the Finder app out of it,
    > and then putting it back in.
    I did this. No joy.

  14. #14

    On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 8:32:28 -0700, Matt Broughton wrote
    (in message <walterwego-E98C0F.10322806092003corp.supernews.com>):
    > As you have installed OS 9.1 onto an external disk, you could copy that
    > System folder over to the PowerBook. Installing to an external disk
    > produces the same results as installing to a disk image.
    I installed OS 9 (clean install) onto a 500 MB disk image. Then copied it to
    the PB's internal HD via FireWire Target Disk Mode. Tried booting. No joy.
    > Does the PB support booting from a firewire disk? I always get confused
    > as to when that became available.
    I don't know either. Too burned out on this problem to do much more research
    on Apple's Support site. Maybe later...
    > Perhaps this might be a case where resetting the open firmware may help.
    > You can follow the directions in Apple KB article at
    > <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42642>
    > You will need to reinstall any firmware updates that you previously
    > installed after resetting the open firmware.
    I think I'll try this next. I've saved all firmware updates.
    > The other thought I had (excuse me if I forgot some of what you already
    > said you tried) would be to make sure that there are no peripherals
    > connected to the PB after you have a bootable OS 9.1 system folder on
    > it. This would include removing the replacement CD-ROM drive and/or
    > perhaps the defective CD-ROM drive. I have had my computer get hung up
    > trying to startup for no apparent reason. After I removed all USB
    > devices, it worked fine.
    Tried:
    Booting with no peripherals. No joy.
    Booting from external FireWire HD. No joy.

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks,

  15. #15

    On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 8:00:00 -0700, Karl von Laudermann wrote
    (in message <karlvonl-5400CF.11000006092003reader1.news.rcn.net>):
    > Also, when you get the flashing question mark, how long did you wait
    > before giving up? Sometimes the machine takes a while to find the System
    > folder, until you fix this by actually choosing it from the Startup Disk
    > control panel.
    Waited half an hour, once.

  16. #16

    On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 5:30:05 -0700, Christoph Gartmann wrote
    (in message <bjck0d$k26$1n.ruf.uni-freiburg.de>):
    > Try to zap the PRAM. PRAM stores the information from where to boot. Once
    > this
    > has been cleared the PB should start looking for a bootable system folder and
    > hopefully find your OS 9.1 folder.
    I've reset PRAM so many times the P, R, Opt, and Cmd keys have their letters
    worn off :-)
    > I had to realize that once you have the OSX boot option in PRAM you are no
    > longer able to boot OS9. The Mac will find the OSX system or part of it and
    > boot from that one even if it is a corrupted OSX. The same for the option key
    > during boot, OS9 system folders are not displayed if there is OSX on the same
    > disk and OSX set in PRAM.
    This is why I suspect that resetting Open Firmware is my only option left.

    Thanks,

  17. #17

    << Beginning somewhere around OS 9, Apple did something so that a copy of
    the System folder from the install disk will not boot a computer even if
    it appears to be blessed. >>

    Walter & DaveC-

    Another related factor I haven't seen here, is that somewhere about that time,
    the newer Macs did not have a boot ROM, and require a ROM image to be in the
    System Folder. If installation is done on a machine that has a boot ROM, the
    image may not be installed. I wonder if that might be one reason DaveC's
    copied System won't boot? If so, installing a copy of a ROM image may solve
    the problem, as it did once for me.

    In the case above, OS X was not involved, and I have had problems similar to
    DaveC's. I don't recall how I managed it, but after getting the machine to
    boot in OS 9 the first time, everything worked again. I don't think it matters
    yet whether the System is blessed. First, you have to get the machine to
    "think OS 9", then you can worry about blessing!!

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie Guest

  18. #18

    On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 18:28:31 -0700, Fred McKenzie wrote
    (in message <20030906212831.10745.00000504mb-m29.aol.com>):
    > I wonder if that might be one reason DaveC's
    > copied System won't boot? If so, installing a copy of a ROM image may solve
    > the problem, as it did once for me.
    Sounds like a creative solution. Where do I get a copy of this PowerBook's
    ROM image?

    Thanks,

  19. #19

    In article <0001HW.BB7FFD5B00006F5509F369C0news.individual.n et>,
    DaveC <dave-usenet3016mailblocks.com> wrote:
    > On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 18:28:31 -0700, Fred McKenzie wrote
    > (in message <20030906212831.10745.00000504mb-m29.aol.com>):
    >
    > > I wonder if that might be one reason DaveC's
    > > copied System won't boot? If so, installing a copy of a ROM image may solve
    > > the problem, as it did once for me.
    >
    > Sounds like a creative solution. Where do I get a copy of this PowerBook's
    > ROM image?

    I think he is talking about a file "Mac OS ROM" that gets installed on
    the newer models. It would be located in the System Folder. You can
    easily check to see if that file was installed on the Firewire disk
    installation you did. I believe the presence/absence of that file would
    depend on the desktop model you were using to run the installer and the
    type of install you did, ie, a Universal install to boot *any* Mac or an
    install for "this" computer.

    I hadn't thought about this before but I went back and checked a disk
    image of an OS 9.1 install I did for a 7300. It contained no "Mac OS
    ROM" file in the System folder. My B&W G3 has that file in the OS 9.1
    System folder.

  20. #20

    On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 10:14:02 -0700, Matt Broughton wrote
    (in message <walterwego-53713F.12140207092003corp.supernews.com>):
    > I hadn't thought about this before but I went back and checked a disk
    > image of an OS 9.1 install I did for a 7300. It contained no "Mac OS
    > ROM" file in the System folder. My B&W G3 has that file in the OS 9.1
    > System folder.
    That was the trick! I found the Mac OS ROM file on the OS 9.1 CD and
    installed on the PB's HD via Target Disk Mode.

    PB has booted for the first time since I started this "HD crash / data
    recovery / HD replace / CD-ROM drive fail / OS install (or so I thought) / no
    boot" dance about 3-4 weeks ago.

    Thanks to all who contributed ideas and the end solution.

    Yeaaaa!!!
    --
    Dave C.
    [email]dave-usenet3016mailblocks.com[/email]

    DaveC Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast