Professional Web Applications Themes

How to boot to Linux when MBR points to Win partition? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello, I copied an old HD with Linux RH8.0 and Win98 to a bigger disk. On my all HD Linux had 3 pimary partitions - one for /boot, one for / and one for swap and Win98 had another primary partition. On a new disk I made one extended partition for Linux - with 3 logical partitions. I had problem with booting, so I put in MBR original boot record by issuing command: FDISK /MBR. I have Partition Magic 5.0 on my Win98 partition, so I thought with help of this software I could correct Lilo problem. Now I can ...

  1. #1

    Default How to boot to Linux when MBR points to Win partition?

    Hello,

    I copied an old HD with Linux RH8.0 and Win98 to a bigger disk. On my
    all HD Linux had 3 pimary partitions - one for /boot, one for / and
    one for swap and Win98 had another primary partition. On a new disk I
    made one extended partition for Linux - with 3 logical partitions. I
    had problem with booting, so I put in MBR original boot record by
    issuing command: FDISK /MBR. I have Partition Magic 5.0 on my Win98
    partition, so I thought with help of this software I could correct
    Lilo problem. Now I can boot Win, PM is seeing Linux partitions, but
    PQ Boot (multi boot part of Partition Magic) cannot boot to Linux (PM
    5.0 does not recognize ext3, my Linux partitions are ext3)
    My question:
    Is there a way/software to boot to Linux when MBR is pointing to Win
    partition?

    Thanks,

    Zalek
    Zalek Guest

  2. #2

    Zalek Bloom wrote:

    Use your linux bootdosk. You did make one didn't you?
    If not you can use the first installation CD to boot the system
    then make a bootdisk or fix /etc/lilo.conf so you can choose
    which OS to boot.

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/

  3. #3

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 18:15:36 GMT, Zalek Bloom <com> wrote:

    .... use your emergency boot disk you created; use CD#1 for the
    distro in use to boot the system and re-write grub (or lilo);
    or download knoppix.net to fix it
    ..
    "All snakes who wish to remain in Ireland will please raise
    their right hands." - Saint Patrick
    mjt Guest

  4. #4

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 18:15:36 GMT, Zalek Bloom <com> wrote:

    Where is your boot loader located (choices are MBR, a primary partition,
    or extended partition, not a logical partition)?

    On my laptop I have standard MBR, and LILO on my primary /boot partition
    which is tagged to boot (no swap). Note that FAT32 over 1024 cyl would
    be type c instead of b):

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 1 653 5245191 b Win95 FAT32
    /dev/hda2 * 654 655 16065 83 Linux /boot
    /dev/hda3 656 1099 3566430 f Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/hda5 656 943 2313328+ 83 Linux /
    /dev/hda6 944 968 200781 83 Linux /var
    /dev/hda7 969 1099 1052226 b Win95 FAT32

    http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/ http://www.berniesfloral.net/
    http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/ http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/
    David Guest

  5. #5

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 18:49:23 GMT, mjt
    <com> wrote:

    >... use your emergency boot disk you created; use CD#1 for the
    >distro in use to boot the system and re-write grub (or lilo);
    >or download knoppix.net to fix it[/ref]

    Michael,

    Emergency boot disk didn't work - I created Linux on HD by copying
    files from an old HD to the new one.
    I think when I rewrote lilo by issuing "/sbin/lilo -C /.." command,
    lilo created /etc/lilo.conf file on my new HD by collecting info from
    the old HD - because linux boot correctly only if the old disk was
    connected (I verified that boot was to the new HD).

    I tried to boot from distro CD#1 and got a message:
    "an error occurred trying to mount some or all of your system. Some of
    it may be mounted under /mnt/sysimage".
    After that I got a Linux, but without lilo command. I found my
    partitions and mounted them. I checked that I have /sbin/lilo file,
    but when I issued "/newdisk/sbin/lilo" command - the message was the
    is an invalid command. To be sure I entered /newdisk/sbin directory.
    issued ls lilo* command - I saw lilo and entered lilo - again I got a
    message "an invalid command".

    I have a cd Knoppix, but when I issued lilo command I got some message
    about read-only files. May be latter I will play more with Knoppis.

    What I need is some software in MBR that will start Linux.

    Zalek
    Zalek Guest

  6. #6

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 19:22:30 +0000 (UTC), com (David
    Efflandt) wrote:

    >Where is your boot loader located (choices are MBR, a primary partition,
    >or extended partition, not a logical partition)?[/ref]

    I don't know - when I boot my PC it is going to Win partition, so I
    think it is located on firest logical linux partition.

    It goes like this (I qute from the memory):
    /dev/hda1 Primary FAT32
    /dev/hda2 Extended Linux
    /dev/hda5 logical Linux /boot
    /dev/hda6 logical Linux /

    Zalek

    Zalek Guest

  7. #7

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 00:01:49 GMT, Zalek Bloom wrote:

    try
    chroot /mnt/sysimage
    cd /etc
    cat lilo.conf to verify it is the correct one, then
    lilo -v and fix any error messages

    Bit Guest

  8. #8

    Zalek Bloom wrote:

    There you are. Basically lost. Your old lilo.conf as well as t he fstab
    points to /dev/hda1, /dev/hda2, /dev/hda3 or some (all primary partitions).
    Now ...

    Logical partitions start with hda5 as I think (hda4 the "container").
    So you have to boot knoppix to correct your lilo.conf and fstab on the old
    partition.
    Then chroot to the mounted root partition and re-run lilo.
    Don't forget to add some line for windoze like
    other=/dev/hda1
    label="windows"

    Btw., you simply umount/mount your existing partitions from a commandline as
    root (sudo su works fine on knoppix terminal window) at the old places or
    create new directories under /mnt, to make them writable.
    to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate your MS software
    (3 days grace period). [LinuxCounter#295241]
    Walter Guest

  9. #9

    On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 18:15:36 +0000, Zalek Bloom wrote:

    Hmmm... This sounds like something loadlin would handle. Boot into the 98
    non-gui menu where you get the dos command prompt. Then use loadlin with
    suitable options to start the kernel.

    sj

    Scott Guest

  10. #10

    Zalek Bloom wrote:
     [/ref][/ref]

    [long snip]
     [/ref]

    Not necessarily. I assigned type 0b to some logical FAT32 partition >
    1024 cyl (using Linux fdisk) and formatted it from some Windows a next
    time I booted that. Neither Win2K / Win98 / Linux nor OS/2 on that box
    have ever complained.

    I sometimes wonder what the functional difference is between 0b and 0c
    FAT32 types, but as none of my OS-es really care it seems to be of no
    importance.

    Philip

    Philip Guest