Professional Web Applications Themes

how to boot to CD on a locked out box? - Sun Solaris

hay all, i just got a sparc ultra 5 dropped in my lap by a friend who has had it sitting in a closet for a while and never used it. i've never even touched a sun system before, but i'm curious, and just want to poke around a bit. the box has a brand new install of solaris 8 on it, but we don't know the root's password... i just DLed the 3 ISOs for solaris 9, and want to install from the ground up (so i can see what's going on, and what goes where). is there a ...

  1. #1

    Default how to boot to CD on a locked out box?

    hay all,

    i just got a sparc ultra 5 dropped in my lap by a friend who has had
    it sitting in a closet for a while and never used it.

    i've never even touched a sun system before, but i'm curious, and just
    want to poke around a bit.

    the box has a brand new install of solaris 8 on it, but we don't know
    the root's password... i just DLed the 3 ISOs for solaris 9, and want
    to install from the ground up (so i can see what's going on, and what
    goes where).

    is there a trick to getting it to boot to cd?

    i've googled around, and all i see are "from the ok> prompt, type boot
    cdrom -s"

    i can't even get a propmt up at all, it just goes straight to the
    solaris 8 graphical login (where we don't know any uisername /
    password combos).

    is there a key i need to hold down during boot to enter BIOS and
    change the boot order, or to make it boot to CD?

    at the beginning of boot it has a "boot : disk" message that i'm
    assuming means it's booting from the HD... how do i wipe this box and
    start fresh?
    my_name_isobel Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: how to boot to CD on a locked out box?

    Approximately 9/26/03 15:28, my_name_isobel uttered for posterity:

    You need to put a bootable CD-ROM in there. You should be able
    to pick up a set of Solaris 8 CD-ROM's off eBay cheap. Or 9.
    Or make a bootable from the iso images.

    With a bootable CD-ROM in the drive, then you can enter
    "boot cdrom" from the OK prompt and it will boot from the
    cdrom unless something is busted and you are missing a
    boot error message.

    Even if the CD-ROM is bad, it is just an IDE unit, with
    pretty good detail at sunsolve.sun.com or docs.sun.com
    for the hardware manual. The same cdrom is used in the
    ultra 10.

    Once the CD boots the read only solaris, it creates a mount
    point of /a

    You then mount your hard drive on /a and erase the password
    field.

    Gory details on commands available at the google public library.

    There is no bios. It is an OpenBoot PROM.

    Even if the boot device is set, you can still tell it to
    boot from the CD rom.

    Boot disk is the norm. "disk" is an alias in the OBP for
    the root drive's hardware address. Under normal cirstances
    you want this, so it automatically boots without manual
    intervention.

    As it starts to boot, hit the Stop A key [or pull the keyboard
    cable momentarily] and it will go to the OK prompt.

    Sorry, can't recall the syntax of the probe-ide command so
    you can check whether or not the cdrom is alive.

    Lon Guest

  3. #3

    my_name_isobel wrote:
    [...]
    Hello my_name_isobel,
    while you see the boot messages (initializing memory etc.) you can press
    stop-A to get the ok prompt. Then you can type "boot cdrom".

    Hope that helps,
    Lothar

    --
    Lothar Armbrüster | de