Professional Web Applications Themes

how to change 31-character limit? - Mac Applications & Software

I finally upgraded to OS X and thought unlike OS 9, there would not be a 31 character limit. Yet, when I download binary files with long names, they are truncated and I can't manually rename them either. I heard OS X has a 255 character limit, so I must be doing something wrong. Is there a way around this that I'm missing? G3 OS 10.2.8...

  1. #1

    Default how to change 31-character limit?

    I finally upgraded to OS X and thought unlike OS 9, there would not be a
    31 character limit. Yet, when I download binary files with long names,
    they are truncated and I can't manually rename them either. I heard OS X
    has a 255 character limit, so I must be doing something wrong. Is there
    a way around this that I'm missing?

    G3
    OS 10.2.8

    socal Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: how to change 31-character limit?

    In article <BQ_gb.5708584$easynews.com>, socal local
    <> wrote:

    Yes, use an OS X-smart tool to do your downloading. If you're using
    Thoth, for example, make sure that you have the preferences set to use
    long names in OS X; otherwise, it will truncate the names for
    compatibility with older systems (it's on the Miscellaneous pane of
    Thoth's Preferences dialog). Microsoft apps are also
    "long-filename-stupid," using the old APIs for file access. The last
    time I checked, MT-Newswatcher and Hogwasher were still using the old
    APIs, but it's been quite a while, so that might have changed.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  3. #3

    In article <BQ_gb.5708584$easynews.com>,
    socal local <> wrote:

    Mac OS X doesn't have this limit, but some applications still enforce
    it. So the problem's in whatever application you're using for
    downloads. The fix is either to look through its preference settings
    and see if there's some way around it, or else to use a different
    application.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  4. #4

    > MT-Newswatcher and Hogwasher were still using the old

    Hogwasher is still 31.

    Tim Guest

  5. #5

    In article <081020031403154898%com.invalid>,
    sbt <com.invalid> wrote:

    No change yet in MT-NW as of 3.3b1, the last release.

    --
    CC
    CC Guest

  6. #6

    In article <attbi.com>, CC Zona
    <invalid> wrote:

    > No change yet in MT-NW as of 3.3b1, the last release.[/ref]

    So is MS Office. :(
    Whytoi Guest

  7. #7

    In article <BQ_gb.5708584$easynews.com>,
    socal local <> wrote:

    They're truncated either because that's how they were posted (the poster
    used software that doesn't support long filenames), or because the
    software you used to download or decode them doesn't understand long
    filenames.

    You *should* be able to rename the files in the Finder, unless they
    somehow got locked or were marked as belonging to another user.
    Wayne Guest

  8. #8

    Wayne C. Morris wrote:

    I'm certain they weren't posted truncated, because I can see the file
    name exceeds 31 characters in the Subject line. I thought renaming in
    Finder would work too, but when I try, I get an error message saying
    something like the name is too long.

    Even downloading under Safari, the file gets truncated. Considering this
    program is only for OS X, isn't there a way to get it to show the full
    file name?

    socal Guest

  9. #9

    In article <%tghb.5753072$easynews.com>,
    socal local <> wrote:

    Safari shouldn't have this problem. I just tried creating a file with a
    64-character file name on my web site, and Safari downloaded it with the
    correct name.

    Could you post an example file name that you're trying to download, as
    it appears before you download it? Or (better yet) say where you're
    trying to get these files from?

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  10. #10

    In article <tph-0EB7B9.14223809102003localhost>, Tom Harrington
    <no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

    > Safari shouldn't have this problem. I just tried creating a file with a
    > 64-character file name on my web site, and Safari downloaded it with the
    > correct name.
    >
    > Could you post an example file name that you're trying to download, as
    > it appears before you download it? Or (better yet) say where you're
    > trying to get these files from?[/ref]

    Anything I try to download with Safari gets its full name as
    well...almost. If I try to save it to an HFS-formatted volume, it gets
    truncated because the long-filename APIs require HFS+ (or UFS) -- the
    HFS directory structure doesn't support long names.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  11. #11

    sbt wrote:

    Here is the source of my problem. I have an external LaCie firewire HD
    that I set my downloads to and was planning on sharing it with my PC. I
    wasn't sure if a PC could read an HFS+ drive, so I formatted it as OS
    Standard (hence the truncation). Sure enough, when I downloaded directly
    to my Desktop (OS Extended built-in HD), I get the full file name. Which
    brings me to my next question....would a Windows PC be able to read a
    hard drive formatted in HFS+? Thanks.

    socal Guest

  12. #12

    In article <1aAhb.5806065$easynews.com>, socal local
    <> wrote:

    > Here is the source of my problem. I have an external LaCie firewire HD
    > that I set my downloads to and was planning on sharing it with my PC. I
    > wasn't sure if a PC could read an HFS+ drive, so I formatted it as OS
    > Standard (hence the truncation). Sure enough, when I downloaded directly
    > to my Desktop (OS Extended built-in HD), I get the full file name. Which
    > brings me to my next question....would a Windows PC be able to read a
    > hard drive formatted in HFS+? Thanks.
    >[/ref]
    Not ordinarily. There might be add-on software modules that will allow
    it, but they don't come standard with Windows (at least not with the
    WinXP that came on my Toshiba). I'm actually surprised that your PC
    could read the HFS-formatted one.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  13. #13

    sbt wrote:

    Well, actually I didn't hook up my PC yet with the hard drive but was
    planning to once I get a IEEE 1394 card. The hard drive comes with 2
    firewire ports and I'm pretty certain I read that it could be shared
    with both systems. I'm just not sure what the proper format it would
    have to be and if the PC could read HFS+. Thanks.

    socal Guest

  14. #14

    In article <sUAhb.2667910$easynews.com>, socal local
    <> wrote:

    > Well, actually I didn't hook up my PC yet with the hard drive but was
    > planning to once I get a IEEE 1394 card. The hard drive comes with 2
    > firewire ports and I'm pretty certain I read that it could be shared
    > with both systems. I'm just not sure what the proper format it would
    > have to be and if the PC could read HFS+. Thanks.[/ref]

    It can be used on both systems, but not simultaneously.

    Send only plain text messages under 32K to the Reply-To address.
    This mailbox is filtered aggressively to thwart spam and viruses.
    Jerry Guest

  15. #15

    socal local <> wrote:

    > Well, actually I didn't hook up my PC yet with the hard drive but was
    > planning to once I get a IEEE 1394 card. The hard drive comes with 2
    > firewire ports and I'm pretty certain I read that it could be shared
    > with both systems. I'm just not sure what the proper format it would
    > have to be and if the PC could read HFS+. Thanks.[/ref]

    Windows can't read HFS+ on its own. There's a utility you can buy for
    Windows that will enable this, though I can't think of its name right
    now.

    I think it'd be a lot more convenient for you to just put the Firewire
    drive on either the Mac or the PC, and network the two computers to
    transfer files. If you put the disk on the Mac, you wouldn't need to
    care whether the PC could read it, because the Mac could share the disk
    as an SMB volume.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  16. #16

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 16:13:12 GMT, upon awakening from a drug-induced
    coma, socal local woke up in a cold sweat and exclaimed:

    > Well, actually I didn't hook up my PC yet with the hard drive but was
    > planning to once I get a IEEE 1394 card. The hard drive comes with 2
    > firewire ports and I'm pretty certain I read that it could be shared
    > with both systems. I'm just not sure what the proper format it would
    > have to be and if the PC could read HFS+. Thanks.[/ref]

    Check out the web site I've listed below. Using their tutorials, I was
    able to network my PowerBook into my Windows XP desktop PC. From my
    Mac, I can read files on the PC and write files to the PC as well. I
    can get online using WinXP's internet connection sharing feature also.
    I'd suggest doing something similar with your system. You can even use
    wireless LAN cards to network them together (I wish I had!).

    http://www.macwindows.com/tutorial.html
    Just Guest