Professional Web Applications Themes

How to change administrators - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

Sorry if this has been asked a billion times, but how can I change the administrator in contribute cs3? Help me please! I did a little searching and used the help feature, and haven't found anything....

  1. #1

    Default How to change administrators

    Sorry if this has been asked a billion times, but how can I change the administrator in contribute cs3?
    Help me please! I did a little searching and used the help feature, and haven't found anything.

    Skipper_22 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to change administrators

    When you want to remove the former administrator you need to create a new
    connection yourself using the (S)FTP connection data. Once you connected to the
    website as an administrator you can remove the former administrator and you are
    the main administrator.

    To create new administrators that do not have to know the connection data, you
    can simply send them a connection key with the administratior role.

    ThinkInk Guest

  3. #3

    It wont let me do an sftp connection.
    I contacted our hosting company and this is what they said:
    [Q]"Contribute uses secure FTP over SSH, whereas we provide "explicit" secure
    FTP. Because these are two different protocols, you will need to use standard
    FTP when connecting via Contribute."[/Q]
    Is there another way to change administrators. The old webmaster no longer
    works with us and didn't leave on good terms. So contacting that person isn't a
    real option. And I need to set up contribute for other users, so they and me
    can publish pages.
    Thanks!

    Skipper_23 Guest

  4. #4

    I also want to mention that, I'm using a different computer and a different
    contribute program (both cs3, a copy was purchased for the both of us), and the
    old information still shows up on my computer. Aaaarrggghh!!!

    Skipper_23 Guest

  5. #5

    Get yourself an FTP client other than Dreamweaver. Mine on the mac is
    cyberduck. Maybe someone can suggest a good one for PC.

    Connect to the site (if possible) using the FTP client. The FTP client should
    enable you to see the hidden folders that house the Contribute settings (these
    are normally hidden by Dreamweaver). Maybe there is a way to show them in
    Dreamweaver, but I'm too lazy to look.

    You should see a folder called "_mm" on the remote server. Inside the _mm
    folder there should be a file called "contribute.xml". This file will show you
    any and all of Contribute's settings for that specific site including
    admin_password. Now that you know the password, you could re-administer the
    site and change the password to your liking, or you could edit the xml file and
    re-save on the server it if permissions on the server allow. I wouldn't mess
    with anything that is outside of the single quotes. (ie
    <admin_password='nefariouswebguy123'>

    I had to do this once when I forgot my own administrator password.

    Hi Guest

  6. #6

    HI,
    I like to use FileZilla which you can get from http://filezilla-project.org/.
    I can't find the .xml file to find the password.
    All I see are the .csi files. I download the files and working with them
    locally change the extension from .csi to .txt and can read them. I
    changed the "<user_role value="Publisher" />" to" Administrator", changed the
    file back to a txt and then uploaded it after making a copy. It all
    seems to be OK although I still can't get in and add a template like I want to.
    I need the password. Any thoughts on where it might be?
    thank you

    mariomtn Guest

  7. #7

    Hi mariomtn,
    What you just have to do is create a new connection to the website (Main
    menu>Edit>My Connections) using the proper FTP-data connecting to the server
    and you can be the administrator, you do not have to go to all this trouble.

    ThinkInk Guest

  8. #8

    Hi Thinklnk,
    Thanks, that worked, I think. I'm able to do more than before, and got done what I wanted to. However it still seems some things are not doable but I haven't poked around too much.

    mariomtn Guest