Professional Web Applications Themes

How to check the log-on users? - Windows Server

Hi, is it possible to know which users are log on to a w2k3 server from the server? Elsie...

  1. #1

    Default How to check the log-on users?

    Hi, is it possible to know which users are log on to a w2k3 server from the
    server?

    Elsie

    Elsie Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to check the log-on users?

    Elsie,

    You can the "Event Viewer" | Security to know who has logged on to a
    specific server.
    You can also use "NET SESSIONS" from command-line to see all the Netbios
    connections active (=access to share folder).

    In the MMC "Computer Management"|Share folders, you will also be able to see
    who is accessing what files.

    Rgds,
    Chris
    "Elsie" <com> wrote in message
    the

    Chris Guest

  3. #3

    "Elsie" <com> wrote in message
    the

    Elsie,

    There is a common misconception at work here.
    Unless you are talking about a terminal session, then you are never actually
    logged onto a Server. A Domain controller authenticates you so that you an
    login to the PC you are using.
    If your question is actually can you see which users have been authenticated
    by which servers and when, then yes you can - in a Windows 2000 Active
    Directory you will need to check each DC for the last logon time for each
    user object in its copy of the directory.
    If you are using Windows Server 2003 and you have raised the domain
    functionality level to Windows Server 2003 then the new LastLogonTimestamp
    attribute is ted to all DCs from each user account object so you need
    only query one DC (assuming tion is complete and the directory has
    converged)

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "Elsie" <com> wrote in message
    the

    Mike Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks for the replies. I am a newbie with servers.

    Another question:

    If my company has a NT 4 domain and we added in a w2k3 server as workgroup,
    how do I add in the users from the domain to the workgroup?

    Currently, I just go to the MMC and add in the users, in this case, the
    users have to come down and key in their passwords. The other way I can
    think of is to allow the users to change passwords upon logon. So I can just
    use a standard password and get the users to change their passwords later.

    The w2k3 server is sharing database files for our ERP system, so the users
    connect to these files by mapping network drive. If I use a standard
    password, I.e., '123', for each user, I think they cannot connect to the
    network drive.

    Is there another method?

    Elsie

    "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > the
    >
    > Elsie,
    >
    > There is a common misconception at work here.
    > Unless you are talking about a terminal session, then you are never[/ref]
    actually
    an
    authenticated
    need
    > the
    >
    >[/ref]

    Elsie Guest

  5. #5

    "Elsie" <com> wrote in message
    workgroup,
    just

    Yes - don't waste time and confuse your users by having a stand alone server
    in a workgroup with one set of user accounts and password and a Domain with
    the "real" set .
    Why not make the Windows Server 2003 system a MEMBER (not a domain
    controller) in your NT 4.0 Domain ?
    That way it already has access to the account database of the NT 4.0 Domain
    and user can access resources on there by just being logged onto the Domain.
    Never use a common password for anything.
    If the server is a member of the domain the users will al have their own
    password that they use to authenticate to the domain and you just then need
    to set access controls on either the share or the files/folders for the data
    on that file server.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "Elsie" <com> wrote in message
    workgroup,
    just [/ref][/ref]
    from

    > > Elsie,
    > >
    > > There is a common misconception at work here.
    > > Unless you are talking about a terminal session, then you are never[/ref]
    > actually
    > an
    > authenticated [/ref]
    each [/ref]
    LastLogonTimestamp
    > need [/ref]
    has [/ref][/ref]
    from

    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Mike Guest

  6. #6

    I didn't know how the w2k3 server was setup, all I know is that the ip
    address for it has the same 1st 3 sets of numbers as my domain's DNS and
    that the user name and password for each user to access this server must be
    the same as the ones when logging into the domain. (hope I am making sense)

    how do I make this server a member of the domain? and how do I identify it
    as a member and not as a workgroup?

    > workgroup,
    > just [/ref]
    later. [/ref]
    users

    > Yes - don't waste time and confuse your users by having a stand alone[/ref]
    server
    with
    Domain
    Domain.
    need
    data
    > workgroup,
    > just [/ref]
    later. [/ref]
    users [/ref]
    > from
    > > actually [/ref][/ref]
    you
    > > authenticated [/ref][/ref]
    Active [/ref]
    > each [/ref]
    > LastLogonTimestamp [/ref][/ref]
    you [/ref]
    > has [/ref]
    > from
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Elsie Guest

  7. #7

    "Elsie" <com> wrote in message
    be
    sense)

    Start ... Help and Support and enter join a domain as the search
    criteria.
    The result entitled Join a domain : system provides step by step
    instructions.
    This will make the server a member server in the domain.

    However you need a better basic understating of Windows authentication etc.
    I would suggest you do some addition study around Active Directory and
    Windows Server 2003.
    There is lots of material available under the step by steps and how it works
    and as well as the technical doentation on the Windows 2000 Server and
    Windows Server 2003 pages at www.microsoft.com

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    "Elsie" <com> wrote in message
    be
    sense)
    > > workgroup, [/ref][/ref]
    the [/ref][/ref]
    can [/ref][/ref]
    can [/ref]
    > later. [/ref]
    > users [/ref][/ref]
    the

    > > Yes - don't waste time and confuse your users by having a stand alone[/ref]
    > server
    > with
    > Domain
    > Domain.