Professional Web Applications Themes

How to color-code HTM and HTML files like ASP files? - Macromedia Dreamweaver

You'll need to change your doent types to have DWMX recognize HTML files as ASP files, and remove HTM and HTML files from the HTM group. See here: Changing and adding file extensions recognized by Dreamweaver MX [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/dreamweaver/ts/doents/add_ext_mx.htm[/url] -- Mike ------------------- Michael Langner Macromedia Technical Support [email]supportinfomacromedia.com[/email] 1-415-252-9080 "ronhornbaker" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote: > With ColdFusion Studio, I could easily set a pref to display HTM and HTML files with the same color coding as ASP, so that embedded ASP code in .htm files would display properly. I can't figure out how to do the same with DWMX. Has anyone done it? ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: How to color-code HTM and HTML files like ASP files?

    -------------------

    --

    MLangner-MMTS Guest

  2. #2

    Ummmm... you just referenced the same article I said I found, tried, and it didn't work. Still not working here.

    ronhornbaker webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    if on a multi-user os- did you change the files in the correct
    configuration folder for You as a User??

    if you changed the administrative config file- that will either do nothing
    or trigger an error msg about no default doc types when you start up.

    check the note below for where the folder is.

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/dreamweaver/extend/extending_dwmx_errata/e[/url]
    xtending_dwmx_errata10.html

    > Ummmm... you just referenced the same article I said I found, tried, and it
    > didn't work. Still not working here.

    Certified Dreamweaver MX Developer

    Alan Ames Guest

  4. #4

    Yes, I'm editing the right files, in the right user directory.

    All I have to do to reproduce the hard startup crash referenced above is edit the MMDoentTypes.xml file, moving the ".htm" extension from the first doenttype tag to the third one (ASP-VB). Editing the extensions.txt file in any location appears to have no effect, and doesn't affect the crash behavior.

    I'm running Win2K Pro on a Dell laptop with gobs of resources.

    ronhornbaker webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    > hard startup crash referenced above
    I'm using a newsreader and the NNTP forums. there's no other referenced
    info or other posts under ronhornbaker.

    Is there another thread or subject line?

    anyway- you have some sort of crash on startup? every time?

  6. #6

    Hmmm, I was starting to wonder why MM techs were missing key details I'd already covered. I'm using the web forums. Here's a link:

    [url]http://webforums.macromedia.com/dreamweaver/messageview.cfm?catid=189&threadid=651352[/url]

    Let me know if you can't see the entire thread history there.

    And thanks for your help, in advance - my team is trying to switch from CF Studio to DWMX, but we can't unless htm files get color-coded like asp.

    -Ron

    ronhornbaker webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  7. #7

    Problem is fixed, but I fixed it in an undoented (afaik) method. I edited both the CodeColoring.xml and ASPVBScript.xml files, simply copying the content between the <scheme> tags from the latter file into the former file's HTML scheme tag. Worked like a charm. Now all my HTML and HTM files will show color-coded ASP, but what's the harm in that? :-)

    Hope this helps others. And I hope MM makes it easier in the future - users shouldn't have to resort to hand-editing xml files for something as simple as changing recognized extensions for file code coloring. Look at the way CF Studio has done it all these years.

    Regards,

    Ron Hornbaker
    Pres/CTO, [url]http://www.humankindsystems.com/[/url]
    Founder and Editor, [url]http://www.bookcrossing.com/[/url]
    Former Allaire partner and Kansas City CFUG leader

    ronhornbaker webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  8. #8

    Just to repeat myself and emphasize - I can cause DreamWeaverMX v6.1 to crash HARD on startup by simply removing the ".htm" extension from the winfileextension parameter of the first doenttype tag in MMdoentTypes.xml.

    Can anyone else reproduce this behavior? Removing any other extension from the list, such as ".html", has no ill effect.

    How can I get .htm files to color code as anything besides HTML if I can't edit it out of that list?

    Frustrated,
    Ron

    ronhornbaker webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  9. #9

    Did you try adding the HTML doent type to the doctypes attribute of
    the VBScript scheme in the CodeColoring/ASP VBScript.xml file? So, change:

    doctypes="VBScript"

    to be:

    doctypes="VBScript,HTML"

    HTH,
    Randy

    > With ColdFusion Studio, I could easily set a pref to display HTM and HTML files with the same color coding as ASP, so that embedded ASP code in .htm files would display properly. I can't figure out how to do the same with DWMX. Has anyone done it?
    Randy Edmunds Guest

  10. #10

    That did the trick - thanks, Randy!

    Is that doented somewhere? If not, it should be. Hope MM is listening.

    -Ron

    ronhornbaker webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest