Professional Web Applications Themes

how to config tasks to be run at boot time? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

i am using debian, is there any gui program for tasks run level config, or any ways to config it. thanks:)...

  1. #1

    Default how to config tasks to be run at boot time?

    i am using debian, is there any gui program for tasks run level config,
    or any ways to config it. thanks:)

    pc_newbie Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: how to config tasks to be run at boot time?

    pc_newbie <aycomputermail.net> wrote:
    > i am using debian, is there any gui program for tasks run level config,
    > or any ways to config it. thanks:)
    Just edit the links. If you want gui you can use ksysv. There probably
    is a debian command line tool too. I'm almost sure I've seen it.

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  3. #3

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > pc_newbie <aycomputermail.net> wrote:
    >
    >>i am using debian, is there any gui program for tasks run level config,
    >>or any ways to config it. thanks:)
    >

    > Just edit the links. If you want gui you can use ksysv. There probably
    > is a debian command line tool too. I'm almost sure I've seen it.
    >
    > Peter
    thanks , but what is command line tool for that?

    pc_newbie Guest

  4. #4

    "pc_newbie" <aycomputermail.net> wrote in message
    > Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    >
    > > pc_newbie <aycomputermail.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >>i am using debian, is there any gui program for tasks run level config,
    > >>or any ways to config it. thanks:)
    > >

    > > Just edit the links. If you want gui you can use ksysv. There probably
    > > is a debian command line tool too. I'm almost sure I've seen it.
    Are you thinking of update-rc.d? I takes care of removing or adding
    links for the respective runlevels.

    flupke Guest

  5. #5

    pc_newbie <aycomputermail.net> wrote:
    > Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > > pc_newbie <aycomputermail.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >>i am using debian, is there any gui program for tasks run level config,
    > >>or any ways to config it. thanks:)
    > >
    > > Just edit the links. If you want gui you can use ksysv. There probably
    > > is a debian command line tool too. I'm almost sure I've seen it.
    > >
    > thanks , but what is command line tool for that?
    Isn't that what I asked? What stops you editing the links? Anyway, now
    that I recall, I think I remember that debian doesn't use runlevels
    (being stuck in "2" always), so it would be useless. You configure
    stuff by installing or uninstalling the services. The scripts check
    whether they are there or not and do the appropriate thing.

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  6. #6

    Peter writes:
    > I think I remember that debian doesn't use runlevels (being stuck in "2"
    > always), so it would be useless.
    The Debian default (which I do not agree with) is for 2, 3, 4, and 5 to be
    the same, but nothing prevents the admin from setting the runlevels up
    however she wants.

    The command-line tool for editing the links is update-rc.d.
    --
    John Hasler
    [email]johndhh.gt.org[/email] (John Hasler)

  7. #7

    John Hasler <johndhh.gt.org> wrote:
    > Peter writes:
    > > I think I remember that debian doesn't use runlevels (being stuck in "2"
    > > always), so it would be useless.
    > The Debian default (which I do not agree with) is for 2, 3, 4, and 5 to be
    > the same, but nothing prevents the admin from setting the runlevels up
    > however she wants.
    Indeed, my memory is faulty on the issue because I always set up
    the different run levels myself on debian.
    > The command-line tool for editing the links is update-rc.d.
    Thank you.

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  8. #8

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > John Hasler <johndhh.gt.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Peter writes:
    >>
    >>>I think I remember that debian doesn't use runlevels (being stuck in "2"
    >>>always), so it would be useless.
    >

    >>The Debian default (which I do not agree with) is for 2, 3, 4, and 5 to be
    >>the same, but nothing prevents the admin from setting the runlevels up
    >>however she wants.
    >

    > Indeed, my memory is faulty on the issue because I always set up
    > the different run levels myself on debian.
    >

    >>The command-line tool for editing the links is update-rc.d.
    >

    > Thank you.
    >
    > Peter

    yes, runlevel in debian is useless, i just uninstalled the service
    instead. is there any good tools for debian admin?

    pc_newbie Guest