Professional Web Applications Themes

How to configure Inforprint 4000 under AIX - AIX

Hi, We have IBM infoprint 4000 Model IS1 AFP printer with TCP/IP connection, our objective is to print through AIX non afp files, we have been told by IBM that we need infoprint manager to do this so we got the infoprint manager from IBM, however I have gone through all the guides of Infoprint 4.1 but cannot find any thing how to configure this IBM infoprint 4000 printer under AIX 4.3.3, though I have installed the infoprint software on AIX but there is no afp driver available for this printer. Any help hints or tips will be of great ...

  1. #1

    Default How to configure Inforprint 4000 under AIX

    Hi,
    We have IBM infoprint 4000 Model IS1 AFP printer with TCP/IP
    connection, our objective is to print through AIX non afp files, we
    have been told by IBM that we need infoprint manager to do this so we
    got the infoprint manager from IBM, however I have gone through all
    the guides of Infoprint 4.1 but cannot find any thing how to configure
    this IBM infoprint 4000 printer under AIX 4.3.3, though I have
    installed the infoprint software on AIX but there is no afp driver
    available for this printer. Any help hints or tips will be of great
    help to solve this puzzle.
    Thanks

    abbasi2 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to configure Inforprint 4000 under AIX

    Here's the trick: The 4000-IS1 will not be configured under your base
    AIX system, it will only be configured within Infoprint Manager for
    AIX. Once you have Infoprint Manager properly configured (expect to
    take some time doing this, it's a rather complicated software package
    -- you'll do a *lot* of reading, which is one reason that IBM
    recommends that you have one of their "install teams" do the initial
    installation and configuration for you) you'll be able to send print
    jobs to IPM using Infoprint Submit or Infoprint Select (there are
    other ways, too, including lpr - *if* you have everything set up
    correctly), and IPM will convert the data stream from Postscript or
    PDF into AFP/IPDS and send it to the printer. If your print data uses
    a large variety of fonts, be sure to check out and activate the
    FontSave facility within IPM, it will save you some headaches. I
    don't recall if the 4000-IS1 supports "Print on Demand" mode or not
    (where all of the pages of a print job are saved on the controller
    hard drive before the job is printed), but if it does support POD, use
    it. Your overall print performance should be much better with POD
    than without (especially if you print multiple copies).

    Rick Ekblaw
    Rick Ekblaw Guest

  3. #3

    Originally posted by Rick Ekblaw
    > Here's the trick: The 4000-IS1 will not be configured under your base
    > AIX system, it will only be configured within Infoprint Manager for
    > AIX. Once you have Infoprint Manager properly configured (expect to
    > take some time doing this, it's a rather complicated software package
    > -- you'll do a *lot* of reading, which is one reason that IBM
    > recommends that you have one of their "install teams" do the initial
    > installation and configuration for you) you'll be able to send print
    > jobs to IPM using Infoprint Submit or Infoprint Select (there are
    > other ways, too, including lpr - *if* you have everything set up
    > correctly), and IPM will convert the data stream from Postscript or
    > PDF into AFP/IPDS and send it to the printer. If your print data uses
    > a large variety of fonts, be sure to check out and activate the
    > FontSave facility within IPM, it will save you some headaches. I
    > don't recall if the 4000-IS1 supports "Print on Demand" mode or not
    > (where all of the pages of a print job are saved on the controller
    > hard drive before the job is printed), but if it does support POD, use
    > it. Your overall print performance should be much better with POD
    > than without (especially if you print multiple copies).
    >
    > Rick Ekblaw
    Hi, Thanks for the reply, I do have installed the inforprint manager
    however am unable to run the gui using ipguiadvadm command, it seems
    this command is not installed with the pacakge, also when I was
    installing the package it asked for the high/midium/low speed printer
    engine future installation but when I choose either of it it says
    license not found so where do I put the license in it? I do receive I
    cd that says low speed license but its windows readable not AIX. Thanks
    in advance for the help.

    abbasi2 Guest

  4. #4

    abbasi2 <member33165dbforums.com> wrote in message news:<3132645.1058765232dbforums.com>...
    > Hi, Thanks for the reply, I do have installed the inforprint manager
    > however am unable to run the gui using ipguiadvadm command, it seems
    > this command is not installed with the pacakge, also when I was
    > installing the package it asked for the high/midium/low speed printer
    > engine future installation but when I choose either of it it says
    > license not found so where do I put the license in it? I do receive I
    > cd that says low speed license but its windows readable not AIX. Thanks
    > in advance for the help.
    I'm running IPM version 3.2, not the 4.1 version you are running, so
    the procedure might be a bit different. When I installed IPM 3.2, I
    was prompted to put my license keys in the appropriate boxes, and my
    license keys were supplied on a sheet of paper, tied to my customer
    number. I'd suggest that you contact your IBM sales representative
    and make sure that the proper features were ordered for your Infoprint
    Manager software (the Infoprint 4000 requires a high speed license).

    Rick Ekblaw
    Rick Ekblaw Guest