Professional Web Applications Themes
  1. #1

    Default How to copy records from one database to another one ?

    Hi,

    I'm new to Filemaker Pro and I cannot figure out how to copy a record or a
    group of records from one database to another one. I tried to export the
    record(s) but, as I had to re-map the fields, I found it very
    time-consuming.

    Note : the 2 databases have exactly the same design. Actually, it is the
    same database which has been used on 2 different machines and now I need to
    consolidate the data.

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    Jesus Gonzalez
    (jesgon@belgacom.net)

    Jesus Gonzalez Guest

  2. #2

    * Jesus Gonzalez <gonzalezjesus@hotmail.com>:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm new to Filemaker Pro and I cannot figure out how to copy a record or a
    > group of records from one database to another one. I tried to export the
    > record(s) but, as I had to re-map the fields, I found it very
    > time-consuming.
    >
    > Note : the 2 databases have exactly the same design. Actually, it is the
    > same database which has been used on 2 different machines and now I need to
    > consolidate the data.

    -snipped-

    Find the records you want to copy in db A and go to db B and import
    using the matching fields parameter,

    Filemaker uses the current found set in a DB as the group to import or
    export.

    Also when importing the - after the import, the current found set is the
    imported records

    groovy eh

    loulou
    Lou Lesko Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks a lot, Lou, for your quick answer.
    I followed your instructions, and it worked perfectly.
    You're great !

    Jesus Gonzalez

    "Lou Lesko" <lou@NOSPAMlouislesko.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > * Jesus Gonzalez <gonzalezjesus@hotmail.com>:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm new to Filemaker Pro and I cannot figure out how to copy a record or
    > > group of records from one database to another one. I tried to export the
    > > record(s) but, as I had to re-map the fields, I found it very
    > > time-consuming.
    > >
    > > Note : the 2 databases have exactly the same design. Actually, it is the
    > > same database which has been used on 2 different machines and now I need
    > > consolidate the data.
    > >
    > -snipped-
    >
    > Find the records you want to copy in db A and go to db B and import
    > using the matching fields parameter,
    >
    > Filemaker uses the current found set in a DB as the group to import or
    > export.
    >
    > Also when importing the - after the import, the current found set is the
    > imported records
    >
    > groovy eh
    >
    > loulou

    Jesus Gonzalez Guest

  4. #4

    thanks for the additional information, "NeoLuddite".

    Best regards,

    Jesus

    "NeoLuddite" <see_signature_for_address@invalid.com> a écrit dans le message
    de
    > In article <slrnbfqkma.9in.lou@sdf.lonestar.org>,
    > Lou Lesko <lou@NOSPAMlouislesko.com> wrote:
    >
    > > * Jesus Gonzalez <gonzalezjesus@hotmail.com>:
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I'm new to Filemaker Pro and I cannot figure out how to copy a record
    or a
    > > > group of records from one database to another one. I tried to export
    the
    > > > record(s) but, as I had to re-map the fields, I found it very
    > > > time-consuming.
    > > >
    > > > Note : the 2 databases have exactly the same design. Actually, it is
    the
    > > > same database which has been used on 2 different machines and now I
    need to
    > > > consolidate the data.
    > > >
    > > -snipped-
    > >
    > > Find the records you want to copy in db A and go to db B and import
    > > using the matching fields parameter,
    > >
    > > Filemaker uses the current found set in a DB as the group to import or
    > > export.
    > >
    > > Also when importing the - after the import, the current found set is the
    > > imported records
    >
    > You should also know that the records will be imported in the current
    > sort order.
    >
    > This is often useful if you want permanently (until new records are
    > added) set the sort in a DB. Just create a clone of the existing DB,
    > sort the records in the original they way you want them and import into
    > the clone copy.
    >
    > --
    > Real Address-> neoluddite0comcast.net <- replace 0 with @
    > Bill Gates couldn't innovate his way out of a paper bag.

    Jesus Gonzalez Guest