Professional Web Applications Themes

How to create Dual boot XP Pro and Linux - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi, I have a computer running XP pro. It has two physical hard drives, 60 gig, and 120 gig. All use NTFS. The 120 gig is partitioned into 90 gig and 30 gig. Is it possible to install Linux on the 90 gig partition, and have a dual boot computer? I only want to install and run Linux on the second phyical hard drive. Is there anything I will need to do with the file system? Will Linux be able to access the other partitions, currently used by XP? Can anyone recommend any good web pages or FAQ on this? ...

  1. #1

    Default How to create Dual boot XP Pro and Linux

    Hi,

    I have a computer running XP pro. It has two physical hard drives,
    60 gig, and 120 gig. All use NTFS. The 120 gig is partitioned
    into 90 gig and 30 gig.

    Is it possible to install Linux on the 90 gig partition, and
    have a dual boot computer? I only want to install and run
    Linux on the second phyical hard drive.

    Is there anything I will need to do with the file system?
    Will Linux be able to access the other partitions, currently
    used by XP?

    Can anyone recommend any good web pages or FAQ on this?

    Thanks
    Roger Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to create Dual boot XP Pro and Linux

    Get Partition Magic or another good partition software package. XP's boot
    manager is only good for other MS systems.

    --
    Nick
    -----------
    "Roger Redford" <com> wrote in message

    Nick Guest

  3. #3

    Roger Redford wrote:

    .... yes

    ..... you'll have to shrink the partition(s) to make room
    for Linux style partitions

    ..... ntfs is read-only, fat32 can be read/write by Linux

    http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/
    ..
    \\\ http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html ///
    Brain, n.: The apparatus with which we think that we think.

    mjt Guest

  4. #4

    In comp.os.linux.misc Roger Redford <com> wrote:
    : Hi,

    : I have a computer running XP pro. It has two physical hard drives,
    : 60 gig, and 120 gig. All use NTFS. The 120 gig is partitioned
    : into 90 gig and 30 gig.

    : Is it possible to install Linux on the 90 gig partition, and

    Sure.

    : have a dual boot computer? I only want to install and run
    : Linux on the second phyical hard drive.

    : Is there anything I will need to do with the file system?

    Yup. Linux doesn't grok NTFS so you'll be reformatting that
    partition into ext3 or whatnot.

    : Will Linux be able to access the other partitions, currently
    : used by XP?

    See above. Sort of is the answer. read-only NTFS works pretty
    well in Linux but don't even think about writing to it.

    : Can anyone recommend any good web pages or FAQ on this?

    It's in all sorts of places.
    http://riki-lb1.vet.ohio-state.edu/mqlin/computec/software/ntlinux.dualboot.html
    looks OK. This is very routine.

    If you need to share files back and forth then you'll have
    to find a common file system- ancient yucky FAT is OK though
    it throws away much of your disk so you may want to create
    a small partition for sharing. Or maybe look at ext2 since there's
    a Windows driver for it.

    Stan

    --
    Stan Bischof ("stan" at the below domain)
    www.worldbadminton.com

  5. #5

    Sorry, I'm a newbie with dual boots.

    The drive is already partitioned. Do I need to partition it again?
    Could I use Fdisk? Do I need to create a boot manager?

    I'm hoping to learn the whole procedure. Is there a website somewhere
    to explain it all?

    Roger Guest

  6. #6

    com (Roger Redford) wrote in message news:<google.com>...

    Yes, that is perfectly OK.

    Indeed it will be able to access the other partitions, but take note
    that the NTFS partitions should be considered as READ ONLY. You will
    also want to make some additional partitions within your 90gb
    partition, but your Linux distribution will guide you through this. In
    essence you will need:

    1. A partition for "swap space". Using Microsoft terminology, this is
    a paging file - but rather than use a file it has its own partition. I
    just make mine 1gb nowadays. People use all sorts of rules for swap
    space - twice the memory installed and all that. Personally I think
    these rules only applies when 1Gb of RAM was considered A LOT. There
    is the thought that you want it at least as big as your installed RAM
    so it can hold a full core dump. Again, my preference is to set
    coredump size to 0 and just not care. So hey. Its just a number. Don't
    make it too small and don't make it too big. ;)

    2. A partition to hold boot files (/boot) - I just make mine 100Mb,
    and thats plenty.

    3. Any number of partitions as you see fit, but as a minimum the root
    partition (/). In Microsoft terminology, this would be C:\ - again,
    personally, I only have 2 partitions here. The obligatory / and my own
    /scratch. / will take up 90% of the remaining space, with /scratch
    taking up the rest. But hey - thats me. ;)

    Oh, once you done all of that and its installed and everything, sling
    yer hooks over here:

    http://www.tldp.org

    :D

    Xyerp Guest

  7. #7

    Sorry but I've only done it with 98 and XP. You need a third party boot
    manager for non Microsoft operating systems. You buy these.

    --
    Nick
    -----------
    news:<bm18co$43n$btinternet.com>... [/ref]
    boot [/ref][/ref]

    Nick Guest

  9. #9

    James Guest

  10. #10

    Forget it and leave Linux alone 'cause it makes you stupid.

    --
    sqr
    --

    news:<bm18co$43n$btinternet.com>... [/ref]
    boot [/ref][/ref]

    sqr Guest

  11. #11

    On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 21:31:21 +0000, sqr wrote:

    Please do not feed the troll. Thank you, drive through.

    Ed Guest

  12. #12

    Roger Redford wrote:

    Get MAndrake 9.1. It will resize your XP partitions for you
    automatically. Don't forget to defrag first though. The MDK install is
    simple and intuitive. Go for it! And just to be safe, install it on the
    partition that doesnt have windows. As far as I know redhat doesnt
    resize NTFS, but I might be wrong..

    SD Guest

  13. #13

    Nick wrote:
    or use LILO/Grub...

    Ori Guest

  14. #14

    "Ori" <com> wrote in message
    > or use LILO/Grub...[/ref]

    Or small bootable FAT partition (assuming you want XP to be on NTFS) with
    Win9x (assuming you have a <cough!> legit copy hanging around), NT boot.ini
    multi-boot mechanism and loadlin to get into linux via 9x. Google
    'multibooting solaris' for more info

    --
    John Stumbles
    -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

    John Guest

  15. #15

    Nick wrote:

    .... actually, the NT boot loader can boot Linux, but then
    again, who would want THAT HAPPENING ?? :)
    Beware of computerized fortune-tellers!

    mjt Guest

  16. #16

    John Stumbles wrote:

    .... solaris ?!?!?!??!? hey man, pass it around and put
    a clip on it first :)
    ..
    We are all worms. But I do believe I am a glowworm. - Winston Churchill

    mjt Guest

  17. #17

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 01:10:25 +0000, mjt pranced about and ed:

    > ... actually, the NT boot loader can boot Linux, but then again, who would
    > want THAT HAPPENING ?? :) ..[/ref]

    Anybody running NT. Once they're in linux they can eliminate the NT
    problem.

    --
    Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. The answer is NO!

    Sinister Guest

  18. #18

    On 2003-10-08, Roger Redford <com> wrote:
    Go to "www.winimage.com" and look for "Bootpart" on the menu; download
    "bootpart" ver 2.5 and see if it would work on your system.

    Bootpart is a freebie that sets up windows' boot.ini for booting an
    OS; the doc is in the help as in "bootpart /h".
    a Guest

  19. #19

    You may already have found the answer but, just in case, here's how I got my
    Win2000, Linux and WinXP multi-boot. In my case, I installed Win2000 first,
    then Linux and then WinXP on a spare partition.

    To install Linux after Windows follow this steps, (borrowed from a Linux
    forum)
    Hope this helps.

    ***************************************With BOTH NT *and* Linux installed on
    your hard disk, assuming LILO isinstalled in the boot sector of /dev/x
    .... Boot Linux using boot disk (logging in as root) Insert a
    DOS-formatted floppy and mount it on /mnt # mount /dev/fd0 /mnt -t vfat
    Create an image file of the /dev/x boot sector # dd if=/dev/x
    of=/mnt/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1 in your case assuming boot sector is in
    /hda5 # dd if=/dev/hda5 of=/mnt/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
    Unmount and eject the DOS floppy # umount /mnt Reboot into NT (Win2000)
    Insert the DOS floppy and copy/drag A:\BOOTSECT.LNX to C:\ Add the
    following line to C:\BOOT.INI boot selections C:\BOOTSECT.LNX="Linux"
    Eject the floppy and reboot You should now have the option to boot into
    Linux Note 1: You may have to remove the Read-Only attribute of BOOT.INI in
    order to edit the contents. Please remember to restore that attribute. Note
    2: BOOTSECT.LNX is specific to the location and size of the partition from
    which it was created. If you relocate the partition or change size you will
    have to create a new
    BOOTSECT.LNX************************************** *"John Stumbles"
    <postmaster[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    news:BI0ib.586$server.ntli.net... [/ref][/ref]
    boot
    > > or use LILO/Grub...[/ref]
    >
    > Or small bootable FAT partition (assuming you want XP to be on NTFS) with
    > Win9x (assuming you have a <cough!> legit copy hanging around), NT[/ref]
    boot.ini
    -+

    Hector Guest

  20. #20

    Hector wrote:

    you're responding to the rwong sub-thread
    ..
    .... My pants just went on a wild rampage through a
    Long Island Bowling Alley!!

    mjt Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast