Professional Web Applications Themes

How to crop a circle - Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator

Can you tell me how to crop a circle? I know how to crop a square and a rectangle. But I do not know how to crop a circle or ellipse or arc. Thank you. Jo continued...

  1. #1

    Default How to crop a circle

    Can you tell me how to crop a circle?

    I know how to crop a square and a rectangle.
    But I do not know how to crop a circle or ellipse or arc.

    Thank you. Jo

    Young, Josephine Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to crop a circle

    I don't think one can crop a circle. Images can only be rectangles, I think.
    I've gotten the cropped effect with transparency. You select your oval area,
    copy and paste into a new file with a transparent background. Save in a file
    format that accepts transparency. Or, you could select your oval area, then
    select inverse, and fill with the background color you will be using on your
    layout. Everything in the rectangle outside the oval shape disappears.

    "Young, Josephine" <young707-no-spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Can you tell me how to crop a circle?
    >
    > I know how to crop a square and a rectangle.
    > But I do not know how to crop a circle or ellipse or arc.
    >
    > Thank you. Jo

    2real4me Guest

  3. #3

    Thank you for your reply. Actually what I want to do and crop and cut a
    bunch of donut shape images from a photo.
    Can you tell me how to select the "oval area" to remove the image outside
    the OD (outside diameter)?
    Can you tell me how to select the "oval area" to remove the image inside the
    ID (inside diamter)?
    Thank you for your advise. Jo

    "2real4me" <2real4me@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    news:bvZRa.578$ye5.97238@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net.. .
    > I don't think one can crop a circle. Images can only be rectangles, I
    think.
    > I've gotten the cropped effect with transparency. You select your oval
    area,
    > copy and paste into a new file with a transparent background. Save in a
    file
    > format that accepts transparency. Or, you could select your oval area,
    then
    > select inverse, and fill with the background color you will be using on
    your
    > layout. Everything in the rectangle outside the oval shape disappears.
    >

    > "Young, Josephine" <young707-no-spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Can you tell me how to crop a circle?
    > >
    > > I know how to crop a square and a rectangle.
    > > But I do not know how to crop a circle or ellipse or arc.
    > >
    > > Thank you. Jo

    Young, Josephine Guest

  4. #4

    Use elliptical marquee tool and hold the shift key down to select multiple
    oval areas together.

    To keep the oval areas and discard the remainder of the image, copy your
    multi-selection of ovals, open a new image and paste the selection. You will
    have only your oval cutouts and nothing else.

    To discard the oval areas and keep the remainder of the image: After you
    have made your multiple-ovals selection, select "inverse". Then copy the
    inverted selection, open a new image and paste. You will have the image
    minus the oval cutouts.

    > Thank you for your reply. Actually what I want to do and crop and cut a
    > bunch of donut shape images from a photo.
    > Can you tell me how to select the "oval area" to remove the image outside
    > the OD (outside diameter)?
    > Can you tell me how to select the "oval area" to remove the image inside
    the
    > ID (inside diamter)?
    > Thank you for your advise. Jo
    >
    > "2real4me" <2real4me@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > news:bvZRa.578$ye5.97238@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net.. .
    > > I don't think one can crop a circle. Images can only be rectangles, I
    > think.
    > > I've gotten the cropped effect with transparency. You select your oval
    > area,
    > > copy and paste into a new file with a transparent background. Save in a
    > file
    > > format that accepts transparency. Or, you could select your oval area,
    > then
    > > select inverse, and fill with the background color you will be using on
    > your
    > > layout. Everything in the rectangle outside the oval shape disappears.
    > >

    > > "Young, Josephine" <young707-no-spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > Can you tell me how to crop a circle?
    > > >
    > > > I know how to crop a square and a rectangle.
    > > > But I do not know how to crop a circle or ellipse or arc.
    > > >
    > > > Thank you. Jo

    2real4me Guest

  5. #5

    Use elliptical marquee tool and hold the shift key down to select multiple
    oval areas together.

    To keep the oval areas and discard the remainder of the image, copy your
    multi-selection of ovals, open a new image and paste the selection. You will
    have only your oval cutouts and nothing else.

    To discard the oval areas and keep the remainder of the image: After you
    have made your multiple-ovals selection, select "inverse". Then copy the
    inverted selection, open a new image and paste. You will have the image
    minus the oval cutouts.

    "Young, Josephine" <young707-no-spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Thank you for your reply. Actually what I want to do and crop and cut a
    > bunch of donut shape images from a photo.
    > Can you tell me how to select the "oval area" to remove the image outside
    > the OD (outside diameter)?
    > Can you tell me how to select the "oval area" to remove the image inside
    the
    > ID (inside diamter)?
    > Thank you for your advise. Jo
    >
    > "2real4me" <2real4me@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > news:bvZRa.578$ye5.97238@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net.. .
    > > I don't think one can crop a circle. Images can only be rectangles, I
    > think.
    > > I've gotten the cropped effect with transparency. You select your oval
    > area,
    > > copy and paste into a new file with a transparent background. Save in a
    > file
    > > format that accepts transparency. Or, you could select your oval area,
    > then
    > > select inverse, and fill with the background color you will be using on
    > your
    > > layout. Everything in the rectangle outside the oval shape disappears.
    > >

    > > "Young, Josephine" <young707-no-spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > Can you tell me how to crop a circle?
    > > >
    > > > I know how to crop a square and a rectangle.
    > > > But I do not know how to crop a circle or ellipse or arc.
    > > >
    > > > Thank you. Jo

    2real4me Guest

  6. #6

    Thank you for your reply.
    Can you tell me is there any way I can make this oval as circle and set the
    exact diameter?
    Thank you. Jo

    news:kFHSa.34188$ye5.7959853@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.n et...

    Young, Josephine Guest

  7. #7

    On the marquee tools options bar:

    Fixed Aspect Ratio to set a height-to-width ratio. Enter values (decimal
    values are valid) for the aspect ratio. For example, to draw a marquee twice
    as wide as it is high, enter 2 for the width and 1 for the height.

    Fixed Size to specify set values for the marquee's height and width. Enter
    pixel values in whole numbers.

    I copied the above instructions from Photoshop Help under "Using the Marquee
    Tools." I hope this gets you started.

    > Thank you for your reply.
    > Can you tell me is there any way I can make this oval as circle and set
    the
    > exact diameter?
    > Thank you. Jo
    >
    > "2real4me" <2real4me@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > news:kFHSa.34188$ye5.7959853@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.n et...
    > > Use elliptical marquee tool and hold the shift key down to select
    multiple
    > > oval areas together.
    > >
    > > To keep the oval areas and discard the remainder of the image, copy your
    > > multi-selection of ovals, open a new image and paste the selection. You
    > will
    > > have only your oval cutouts and nothing else.
    > >
    > > To discard the oval areas and keep the remainder of the image: After you
    > > have made your multiple-ovals selection, select "inverse". Then copy the
    > > inverted selection, open a new image and paste. You will have the image
    > > minus the oval cutouts.
    > >

    > > "Young, Josephine" <young707-no-spam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > Thank you for your reply. Actually what I want to do and crop and cut
    > > > bunch of donut shape images from a photo.
    > > > Can you tell me how to select the "oval area" to remove the image
    > outside
    > > > the OD (outside diameter)?
    > > > Can you tell me how to select the "oval area" to remove the image
    inside
    > > the
    > > > ID (inside diamter)?
    > > > Thank you for your advise. Jo