Professional Web Applications Themes

How to crop an image in Illustrator? - Adobe Illustrator Macintosh

How do I crop an image in illustrator? Is there more than one way?...

  1. #1

    Default How to crop an image in Illustrator?

    How do I crop an image in illustrator? Is there more than one way?
    Kevin_M_Walters@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to crop an image in Illustrator?

    You mean an embedded image? You can place it in a mask, but I don't believe you can actually crop it from within Ai.
    jonf@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    An image? Or artwork? And what do you mean by "crop"?

    Image or artwork - Draw a rectangle over the image/artwork, select both rectangle and image/artwork and go to Object - Clipping Mask - Make. The excess image will still be there but will be masked off. It cannot be cropped the same way it can in Photoshop.

    Image or artwork - Draw a rectangle over the image/artwork, and with just the rectangle selected go to Object - Crop Area - Make. The entire image/artwork will still be visible, but bleck cropmarks will appear to mark the area being cropped. When saved as EPS and placed in a page layout app, it will appear to be the cropped size. Saved as PDF, and opened in Acrobat or Reader, it will appear as only the cropped file.

    If by "crop" you want the excess portions of the image/artwork to be deleted, Illustrator can't do that to an image. But in certain cirstances - all filled objects, for example - it can. Draw a rectangle over the artwork, select artwork and rectangle, and go to the Pathfinder palette, second row, fourth button (Crop). Note that any strokes will be lost.

    All that said, Illustrator needs a really good cropping feature that respects strokes and takes care of images.
    Gary_Newman@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    All that said, Illustrator needs a really good cropping feature that respects
    strokes and takes care of images.

    Amen!
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I am trying to recreate an effect I stumbled on. I was able to embed an image and then create a clipping path that "cropped" the image area outside of the clipping path rectangle.

    However, the two items, (i.e., the image and the clipping path) were independent of each other so that the clipping path was stationary but I could move the cropped image within it (without moving the clipping rectangle).

    I can't recreate this effect. I've created a rectangle and selected the image and then Object--Clipping Path--Make. However, when I do this, the clipping rectangle and cropped image are "locked" together and I can't move the two elements individually of each other!

    How can I recreate the original effect?

    Thanks!
    Kevin_M_Walters@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    That's a mask. Follow Gary's first advice above. Did you try any of those yet?
    jonf@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    yes, i tried the clipping mask, but the image and clipping rectangle are "locked together."

    how can i make them independent of one another, so that the image can be moved underneath the stationary clipping mask rectangle?
    Kevin_M_Walters@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    You did it correctly to move the mask or the image independently select the direct select tool and select one or the other and you will be able to reposition them that way.
    Wade_Zimmerman@adobeforums.com Guest