Professional Web Applications Themes

how to deny access to certain volume via file sharing (OS9)? - Mac Networking

Hi all - I have a Mac running OS9.2 at work. I connect to it from home by file sharing via TCP/IP. I want to set the permissions such that people connecting through file sharing never see a particular hard drive. However, on the file sharing control panel, I don't see any options like that! Under Sharing, it just says "allow user to connect to this computer" and "allow user to se all disks". But there is no list of volumes to allow or disallow, for that user. How can this be done? If possible please cc: replies to [email]mlevin77comcast.net[/email]. ...

  1. #1

    Default how to deny access to certain volume via file sharing (OS9)?

    Hi all -

    I have a Mac running OS9.2 at work. I connect to it from home by file
    sharing via TCP/IP. I want to set the permissions such that people
    connecting through file sharing never see a particular hard drive. However,
    on the file sharing control panel, I don't see any options like that! Under
    Sharing, it just says "allow user to connect to this computer" and "allow
    user to se all disks". But there is no list of volumes to allow or disallow,
    for that user. How can this be done? If possible please cc: replies to
    [email]mlevin77comcast.net[/email]. Thanks!

    Mike

    Mike Levin Guest

  2. #2

    In article <BB32DE5E.11032%mlevin77comcast.net>,
    Mike Levin <mlevin77comcast.net> wrote:
    >Hi all -
    >
    > I have a Mac running OS9.2 at work. I connect to it from home by file
    >sharing via TCP/IP. I want to set the permissions such that people
    >connecting through file sharing never see a particular hard drive. However,
    >on the file sharing control panel, I don't see any options like that! Under
    >Sharing, it just says "allow user to connect to this computer" and "allow
    >user to se all disks". But there is no list of volumes to allow or disallow,
    >for that user. How can this be done? If possible please cc: replies to
    >mlevin77comcast.net. Thanks!
    Each volume or folder can have file sharing turned off individually.
    With Sharing on for the machine, select the volume and look for sharing
    in the File menu.

    --
    Ron
    Ron Parsons Guest

  3. #3

    In article <jrp59-562CB7.08423610072003news.bellatlantic.net>, Ron
    Parsons <jrp59gte.net> wrote:
    > In article <BB32DE5E.11032%mlevin77comcast.net>,
    > Mike Levin <mlevin77comcast.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi all -
    > >
    > > I have a Mac running OS9.2 at work. I connect to it from home by file
    > >sharing via TCP/IP. I want to set the permissions such that people
    > >connecting through file sharing never see a particular hard drive. However,
    > >on the file sharing control panel, I don't see any options like that! Under
    > >Sharing, it just says "allow user to connect to this computer" and "allow
    > >user to se all disks". But there is no list of volumes to allow or disallow,
    > >for that user. How can this be done? If possible please cc: replies to
    > >mlevin77comcast.net. Thanks!
    >
    > Each volume or folder can have file sharing turned off individually.
    > With Sharing on for the machine, select the volume and look for sharing
    > in the File menu.
    File > Get Info > Sharing...

    or: select the volume, Command-I, and select Sharing in the pop-up menu.
    Philo D Guest

  4. #4

    in article 100720031016460777%4ad1qx6b02sneakemail.com, Philo D at
    [email]4ad1qx6b02sneakemail.com[/email] wrote on 7/10/03 10:16 AM:

    >>> I have a Mac running OS9.2 at work. I connect to it from home by file
    >>> sharing via TCP/IP. I want to set the permissions such that people
    >>> connecting through file sharing never see a particular hard drive. However,
    >>> on the file sharing control panel, I don't see any options like that! Under
    >>> Sharing, it just says "allow user to connect to this computer" and "allow
    >>> user to se all disks". But there is no list of volumes to allow or disallow,
    >>> for that user. How can this be done? If possible please cc: replies to
    >>> [email]mlevin77comcast.net[/email]. Thanks!
    >>
    >> Each volume or folder can have file sharing turned off individually.
    >> With Sharing on for the machine, select the volume and look for sharing
    >> in the File menu.
    >
    > File > Get Info > Sharing...
    >
    > or: select the volume, Command-I, and select Sharing in the pop-up menu.
    cool. I looked at it, but even though the "share this item" box is not
    checked, I can still connect to it via TCP/IP file sharing. What gives??

    Mike Levin Guest

  5. #5

    In article <BB357A62.112DB%mlevin77comcast.net>, Mike Levin
    <mlevin77comcast.net> wrote:
    > in article 100720031016460777%4ad1qx6b02sneakemail.com, Philo D at

    > >> Each volume or folder can have file sharing turned off individually.
    > >> With Sharing on for the machine, select the volume and look for sharing
    > >> in the File menu.
    > >
    > > File > Get Info > Sharing...
    > >
    > > or: select the volume, Command-I, and select Sharing in the pop-up menu.
    >
    > cool. I looked at it, but even though the "share this item" box is not
    > checked, I can still connect to it via TCP/IP file sharing. What gives??

    Probably you specified that the owner can see "all disks", which mean
    even those that are not shared. Look in File Sharing control panel
    under Users & Groups.
    Philo D Guest