Professional Web Applications Themes

How to do 8 up on a page - Adobe Indesign Windows

Hi, I've designed a business card but the service provider has asked for it 8 to a page on A4 - The only way i can see is to export as eps and get it into illustrator to align it, but then there are no crop marks. CAn anyone help me with this please ? thanks, Mac...

  1. #1

    Default How to do 8 up on a page

    mac_mceldon@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to do 8 up on a page

    You don't need no stinking Illustrator!

    You just need to make a new layout in InDesign in the size the service provider requests on an A4 page. Use guides to layout the 8-up configuration of the cards on the sheet. Add trim marks by drawing thin lines and stepping and repeating (Edit > Step and Repeat). Copy your existing business card art into this layout and place it in the first card position. Use Step and Repeat to make the other copies.
    Steve_Werner@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Why bother with the lines?

    Just export to PDF with crop marks and place that in the new doent.
    Use step and repeat to get eight of them on the page an the align
    palette to make sure everything is spaced properly.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  4. #4

    Why bother with crop marks?

    Send PDF files of the business cards (with bleed if needed), and let the
    service provider do the imposition the way they need it - if they are
    able to do imposition.
    Here at our printing facility we do the imposition by ourself so we can
    adjust the imposition in regard of changed paper size because of
    spontaneous printing machine switching or to provide the marks our
    printers need.

    Jens
    Jens Guest

  5. #5

    I like that even better and was going to mention it but didn't see the
    point. I've done plenty of business cards and have yet to do the imposition.

    It's really the printers job.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  6. #6

    I've done plenty of business cards and have yet to do the imposition

    Entirely depends upon the printer and what sort of a work flow you have. I have a master file with cards 10 up, pages are all based on masters which are designated a letter of the alphabet for ease of navigation but otherwise the same. As requests come up I copy single business cards into a press-ready file that is set up in strips of four. The guides to snap the cards into place and the crops the printer will use to trim are on the master page of that file. I ship the cards out as a pre-press PDF when I have a multiple of four approved for print.
    M_Blackburn@adobeforums.com Guest