Professional Web Applications Themes

how to erase messages in MT-NW - Mac Applications & Software

I must be doing it wrong. I'm trying to remove messages I'm not interested in but I can't seem to get rid of them all at once. I select the ones I want to keep and filter them to the top. I mark them as unread and mark all the others as read. I select "remove read" in the menu. All the ones I don't want disappear from the window, but when I close the window, only some have been removed. If I open the window again, many of them are still there. For example, if I start with 500 ...

  1. #1

    Default how to erase messages in MT-NW

    I must be doing it wrong. I'm trying to remove messages I'm not
    interested in but I can't seem to get rid of them all at once. I select
    the ones I want to keep and filter them to the top. I mark them as
    unread and mark all the others as read.
    I select "remove read" in the menu. All the ones I don't want
    disappear from the window, but when I close the window, only some have
    been removed. If I open the window again, many of them are still there.
    For example, if I start with 500 messages in the window, this
    procedure might remove 40 or 50 at most.
    This problem seems to occur only when there are a large number of
    messages in the newsgroup window. If there are a small number, I can
    erase the unwanted ones without seeing this behaviour.
    If anyone can tell me how to get rid of unwanted messages with one
    shot, I'd greatly appreciate it.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: how to erase messages in MT-NW

    The "remove read" marks all the hace been read Posts as Unread.
    Which is the Opposite of what you want to do.
    You ca set up filters to stop Lots of the junk that is on the news
    servers from ever being shown to you.
    Read the Help pages.

    MTNW ROCKS!
    Later,
    Silas

    In article <F_N9b.5974$bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    --
    The difference between OSX and XP is like night and day.
    You can use OSX all day without any problems,

  3. #3

    In article <F_N9b.5974$bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    It's hard to advise you, since this is not the customary behavior of MT-NW.
    How big are your message counts when the problem occurs? I've had 25k of
    100k+ open at a time, without experiencing the behavior you describe. Have
    you tried emailing Simon Fraser, the author, to report it? He doesn't seem
    to be doing any more new feature development lately, but was been very
    helpful when I encountered a bug, and issued a fix shortly after my report
    was verified.

    FWIW, here are some general you could try (in no particular order) in the
    meantime:

    * Go to the your groups window. Save. Refresh messages. Re-open your
    group.
    * Create a new group window. Re-subscribe to each group, to force full
    counts. Open, re-mark your selections as read.
    * Quit. Go to ~/Library/Preferences/. Delete MT-NW's preference file.
    Re-launch.
    * Restart your computer.
    * Fix permissions.

    Normally, the way to do that (when you're not experiencing a bug like that)
    is: Preferences > Newsreading options > Max number of messages to fetch.
    Set that number higher than the total in the group. Re-open the group, and
    you can mark all the unwanted ones in a single shot.

    --
    CC
    CC Guest

  4. #4

    In article <attbi.com>,
    CC Zona <invalid> wrote:
     [/ref]

    I'm not sure of the exact cut-off point. Typically, the newsgroups
    exhibit this behaviour when the number of messages hits three digits. It
    seems to go away when the number of messages is less than 100. The ones
    that gave me trouble tonight had message counts of 800+, 900+ and 1100+.
    I can delete all the messages in any of the newsgroups from the
    main window that has all my subscribed newsgroups.

    Thanks for the tips. I'll give them a try.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  5. #5

    In article <F_N9b.5974$bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    I set MT-NW's preferences to "use keypad shortcuts". The ENTER key tells
    it to mark every message in the window as read, and go to the next
    window. Very quick.

    Using the keypad shortcuts lets you read the news with one hand,
    reserving the other for holding a cuppa'.

    Isaac
    Isaac Guest

  6. #6

    In article <F_N9b.5974$bellglobal.com>, dotlyc <ca> wrote:

    As noted by someone else in this thread, there is no need to "remove
    read" as read messages won't show up next time in any case.

    However, there is a "Maximum articles to fetch" setting in the first
    NW panel. If that number is less than the number of unread articles
    in a group, then the second time that you open that newgroups *new*
    unread articles will be listed.

    Given that the subject lines are likely to be similar, they *look*
    like the same articles that you saw before, but there aren't.

    If the group had 900 unread (by you) messages in it, and the "max to
    fetch" was set to 500, then that is how it would appear.

    Two or three cycles of "mark read", close, open, repeat, should get
    you caught up in that group.

    This is the tipoff as to what is going on.

    If you have a fast connection, then setting the "Maximum articles to fetch"
    to something like 10,000 will work.

    Unless you encounter a newsgroup with 11,000 unread messages... :-)

    --
    Jim Glidewell
    My opinions only

  7. #7

    In article <sdc.cs.boeing.com>,
    net (Jim Glidewell) wrote:
     [/ref]

    Ah, the light bulb comes on. You are exactly right -- I had the
    "articles to fetch" set at 200 so that's why I wasn't making much
    progress. Thanks for solving the mystery.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc Guest

  8. #8

    In article <ICbab.7156$bellglobal.com>,
    dotlyc <ca> wrote:
     [/ref]

    > Ah, the light bulb comes on. You are exactly right -- I had the
    > "articles to fetch" set at 200 so that's why I wasn't making much
    > progress. Thanks for solving the mystery.[/ref]

    You know you can also just highlight a particular group and go to NEWS >
    You can also do the opposite and mark a whole newsgroup as UNREAD the
    same way just with the MARK as UNREAD option....
    --
    Slartibartfast
    Winner of the prestigious "Fijords" award;

  9. #9

    In article <giganews.com>,
    Slartibartfast <org> wrote:

    > > Ah, the light bulb comes on. You are exactly right -- I had the
    > > "articles to fetch" set at 200 so that's why I wasn't making much
    > > progress. Thanks for solving the mystery.[/ref]
    >
    > You know you can also just highlight a particular group and go to NEWS >
    > You can also do the opposite and mark a whole newsgroup as UNREAD the
    > same way just with the MARK as UNREAD option....[/ref]

    Yes, I was doing exactly that, but when I marked everything that I
    could see in the group window as READ and closed the newsgroup, there
    would still be hundreds left to read. It's because I was only getting
    them in batches of 200, so there all the others were still hanging
    around.

    --
    asd123
    asd123 Guest

  10. #10

    In article <LTOab.4102$bellglobal.com>,
    asd123 <invalid> wrote:

    > > You know you can also just highlight a particular group and go to NEWS >
    > > You can also do the opposite and mark a whole newsgroup as UNREAD the
    > > same way just with the MARK as UNREAD option....[/ref]
    >
    > Yes, I was doing exactly that, but when I marked everything that I
    > could see in the group window as READ and closed the newsgroup, there
    > would still be hundreds left to read. It's because I was only getting
    > them in batches of 200, so there all the others were still hanging
    > around.[/ref]

    Actually, I'm saying you don't even need to open a group up, just open
    you group list up and do the above....

  11. #11

    In article <giganews.com>,
    Slartibartfast <org> wrote:

    > Actually, I'm saying you don't even need to open a group up, just open
    > you group list up and do the above....[/ref]

    To be a bit more precise,

    1) Open Group Window (the one that shows all the groups to which you're
    subscribed)

    2) Select any one group (or multiple groups).

    3) Hit cmd-M (on Mac, anyway) to mark *all* messages in those groups as
    Read.

    4) Hit cmd-U to mark all messages in those group(s) as Unread.

    5) By doing (4) you recover all the messages in that group that are
    still on your particular news server. (Older old messages eventually
    are erased from most servers.)

    6) If you do (4) and start reading that group, you see the newest (most
    recent) messages first -- except for some complications involving how
    messages are threaded.
    AES/newspost Guest

  12. #12

    In article <stanford.edu>,
    AES/newspost <edu> wrote:

    What do you do on the PC version of MT-NW? :)
    Vincent Guest

  13. #13

    In article <verizon.net>,
    Vincent Vega <net> wrote:

    > What do you do on the PC version of MT-NW? :)[/ref]

    Take a high colonic, Vinney! Like you always do.

    --
    Enough <com>
    Enough Guest

  14. #14

    In article <stanford.edu>,
    AES/newspost <edu> wrote:

    > > Actually, I'm saying you don't even need to open a group up, just open
    > > you group list up and do the above....[/ref]
    >
    > To be a bit more precise,
    >
    > 1) Open Group Window (the one that shows all the groups to which you're
    > subscribed)
    >
    > 2) Select any one group (or multiple groups).
    >
    > 3) Hit cmd-M (on Mac, anyway) to mark *all* messages in those groups as
    > Read[/ref]

    I do use this procedure when I want to erase all the messages in
    the group. My problem was that there were some messages I did not want
    to erase. Therefore, I was going into the group window, marking the
    messages I wanted to save as unread and marking all the others as read,
    then closing the window.
    This is where I was getting tripped up because the window was only
    opening with the 200 messages I had set in the preferences. When I
    closed it, all of the 200 that I had marked as read were gone, but there
    were still all the others that I had not accessed. Setting the
    preferences to receive at a higher number of messages solved this
    problem.

    --
    asd123
    asd123 Guest