    Removed by Administrator
    Louis M. Pecora Guest
    Moderated Post

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to find applets or apps put there by Web browsing?

    In article <160720031608242085%pecoraanvil.nrl.navy.mil>, Louis M.
    Pecora <pecoraanvil.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
    > A friend of mine told me getting an app called Spybot for his PC and it
    > found a bunch of applications/applets (not sure which) which run in the
    > 'badckground' and report on his web browsing and other things,
    > including using some of his computer power for 'someone' else at
    > another site (who, he didn't know). I thought the Mac might be
    > impervious to this, but he said don't bet on it.
    The next time your friend gives you odds on a horse race, I advise you
    to take the bet. Although they are not technically impossible by any
    means, I have never heard of any spyware apps for the Mac.

    When replying by e-mail, use plain text ONLY to make sure I read it.
    Due to spam and viruses, I filter all mail with HTML or attachments.
    Jerry Kindall Guest

  3. #3

    In article <160720031608242085%pecoraanvil.nrl.navy.mil>, Louis M.
    Pecora <pecoraanvil.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
    > A friend of mine told me getting an app called Spybot for his PC and it
    > found a bunch of applications/applets (not sure which) which run in the
    > 'badckground' and report on his web browsing and other things,
    > including using some of his computer power for 'someone' else at
    > another site (who, he didn't know). I thought the Mac might be
    > impervious to this, but he said don't bet on it.
    >
    > Do we have to worry about something like this? (What's running now on
    > my Mac that I don't know about?) I use OS 10.2 (Jaguar)
    >
    > If so, is there anything than can detect these things, inform us of
    > what they are doing, and remove them if we want?
    >
    > Thanks.
    You could see what's running with Process viewer, it's in your
    utilities folder. It'll show background processes too

    There are going to be loads of things running but spyware won't be able
    to get to run as "root" so you only have to worry about the ones run by
    you. (the others are bits of the system)

    I haven't come across spyware for mac yet, but I have a PC laptop, and
    something installed itself in as spyware. (Gator IIRC) A google search
    for spyware will find some removers and more info.

    Hopefully noone will tell me I'm being hopelessly nave as I've got
    broadband and leave my Mac on permanently. No ill effects so far (after
    more than a year)
    Pique Guest

  4. #4

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 16:08:24 -0400, "Louis M. Pecora"
    <pecoraanvil.nrl.navy.mil> wrote:
    >A friend of mine told me getting an app called Spybot for his PC and it
    >found a bunch of applications/applets (not sure which) which run in the
    >'badckground' and report on his web browsing and other things,
    >including using some of his computer power for 'someone' else at
    >another site (who, he didn't know). I thought the Mac might be
    >impervious to this, but he said don't bet on it.
    >
    >Do we have to worry about something like this? (What's running now on
    >my Mac that I don't know about?) I use OS 10.2 (Jaguar)
    >
    >If so, is there anything than can detect these things, inform us of
    >what they are doing, and remove them if we want?
    >
    >Thanks.
    I just ran spybot on my pc and one of the problems it found were
    cookies from certain websites which use the cookies to track you and
    either sell or otherwise make available your information to other
    advertisers, or spam you with things they think you will be interested
    in. You can protect yourself by blocking cookies to certain domains.

    Chris
    If life seems jolly rotten
    There's something you've forgotten,
    and thats to laugh and smile and dance and sing!
    Chrisr Guest

  5. #5

    In article <160720032247418333%pkill_check_the_newsgroup.com >, Pique
    <pkill_check_the_newsgroup.com> wrote:
    > You could see what's running with Process viewer, it's in your
    > utilities folder. It'll show background processes too

    Good idea. Thanks. I suspected that the Unix underpinnings would make
    things tougher to get installed, but I wasn't sure about Java applets
    and such which I can imagine might run 'from a browser' and send back
    info on me to whomever put it there. Maybe that doesn't make sense.

    --
    Lou Pecora
    - My views are my own.

  6. #6

    In article <hdbchvodiops7lgpb27mkn494btvna340c4ax.com>, Chrisr
    <crex.no-spam.bellatlantic.net> wrote:
    > I just ran spybot on my pc and one of the problems it found were
    > cookies from certain websites which use the cookies to track you and
    > either sell or otherwise make available your information to other
    > advertisers, or spam you with things they think you will be interested
    > in. You can protect yourself by blocking cookies to certain domains.
    That's what I was thinking of. But what domains? Seems that's hard to
    know in advance. Thanks.

    --
    Lou Pecora
    - My views are my own.

  7. #7

    Louis M. Pecora wrote:
    > A friend of mine told me getting an app called Spybot for his PC and it
    > found a bunch of applications/applets (not sure which) which run in the
    > 'badckground' and report on his web browsing and other things,
    > including using some of his computer power for 'someone' else at
    > another site (who, he didn't know). I thought the Mac might be
    > impervious to this, but he said don't bet on it.
    >
    > Do we have to worry about something like this? (What's running now on
    > my Mac that I don't know about?) I use OS 10.2 (Jaguar)
    >
    > If so, is there anything than can detect these things, inform us of
    > what they are doing, and remove them if we want?
    >
    > Thanks.

    First, it is unwise to feed the trolls. Ignor them and they fade away.

    Secondly, Netbarrier is a nice packet-sniffing firewall addendom to
    IPFW. Specifically it can block cookies reporting your machine type and
    referal pages.

    Having a hosts-deny file won't block packets originating from your
    machine- so cookies will continue to report.

    Some browsers have nice cookie rules, too. "only allow from originating
    URL" and the like.

    cheers

    wheat Guest

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Matthew Russotto Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. #9

    In article <bf6io1$dos$1geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>, wheat
    <harvest-thismail.utexas.edu> wrote:

    > First, it is unwise to feed the trolls. Ignor them and they fade away.
    Yeah, just like to take a shot every now and then at that . But
    you're right. I usually ignore him/her.

    --
    Lou Pecora
    - My views are my own.

  10. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Louis M. Pecora Guest
    Moderated Post

  11. #11

    In article <170720032323108846%pkill_check_the_newsgroup.com >, Pique
    <pkill_check_the_newsgroup.com> wrote:
    > I just found today something you can run in terminal - tcpdump, it
    > seems to need to be run by root - so you could use
    > sudo tcpdump
    > I didn't have anything suspicious using my connection when I ran it .
    Oh, that's a good one. Thanks. Didn't know it existed.

    --
    Lou Pecora
    - My views are my own.

  12. #12

    Louis M. Pecora wrote:
    > In article <bf6io1$dos$1geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>, wheat
    > <harvest-thismail.utexas.edu> wrote:
    >

    >>First, it is unwise to feed the trolls. Ignor them and they fade away.
    >

    > Yeah, just like to take a shot every now and then at that . But
    > you're right. I usually ignore him/her.

    "It".
    That is where trolls come from- if they were a practicing him or her,
    then that energy would go elsewhere.
    It is sort of a spontaneous thing, like mold in the shower.

    wheat Guest

  13. #13

    In article <bf92ja$p29$1geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>, wheat
    <harvest-thismail.utexas.edu> wrote:
    > "It".
    > That is where trolls come from- if they were a practicing him or her,
    > then that energy would go elsewhere.
    > It is sort of a spontaneous thing, like mold in the shower.
    An enlightening view. Thanks.

    :-)

    --
    Lou Pecora