Professional Web Applications Themes

How to force a spot color to overprint? - Adobe Indesign Windows

I have a 4 color job that we want to overprint some black fills with a metallic copper ink (type). How do I force the spot color to overprint and not knock out of the 4-color black underneath? Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default How to force a spot color to overprint?

    Terry_Walker@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to force a spot color to overprint?

    You'll need to set the attributes of those objects with the attributes
    palette. There's no automatic way to set a color to overprint globally.

    It could be scripted, so you might want to visit the scripting forum.

    Bob
    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    Yes but this is text and not an object. Would you change it to outlines or a graphic and then select overprint fills in the attributes palette?
    Terry_Walker@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    To globally overprint text of a certain spot color, set up a Character Style whose only defined attribute is the desired color, with "Overprint Fill" selected. Then, apply that character style to each text element you want to overprint. (Or, if you already have character and/or paragraph styles set up for the text you want to overprint, turn on "Overprint Fill" for the styles in question.)
    Greg_Gaspard@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    You can make text overprint as well. Just select the text with the text tool and select Overprint Fill in the Attributes palette. You can check your separations using the Separations Preview (Window drop-down tab, Output, Seps Preview. Hope this helps.

    Sue
    Sue_Punnett@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Or, you can always select the text with the text selection tool, bring up the "Attributes" pallete, and select "Overprint Fill".

    (on edit: What Sue said...)
    Greg_Gaspard@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    And you can set up object styles that can include overprint of fill and stroke, but this whole thing does point out a fairly major deficiency in InDesign:

    Overprint should be able to be assigned as a colour attribute in Swatches.
    M_Blackburn@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Ok, thanks, I don't know why I wasn't getting that result earlier. Selecting text, then overprint fill, then with separations preview turned on, my text disappears (black background underneath) and is black on screen, when I turn the preview off it goes back to copper 876 color. Why is that?
    Terry_Walker@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Black is darker than the metallic copper and ID cannot simulate the reflectivity and opacity of the metallic ink, so black wins. Turn the inks on and off in the Separations Preview to see how the overprint is working in terms of the knockout (or lack thereof) of the underlying Black ink.
    Greg_Gaspard@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    > Overprint should be able to be assigned as a colour attribute in Swatches.

    One of those little niceties that PM had.

    It could be a problem though if you're not careful with it.

    Bob
    Bob Guest