Professional Web Applications Themes

How to get blank CD-R icon in Finder X? - Mac Portable

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 23:27:01 -0700, DaveC <dave-usenet3016mailblocks.com> wrote: >I don't understand why the Apple article says I should see one behavior, and >I see another. Someone already answered this one (select "open in Finder"). >And a related question: is there supposed to be a Burn icon in the OS X Dock? >I see references to this icon throughout OS X Help, but the only Apple >burning app I see is Disc Burner, a Classic app. The Burn icon doesn't appear in the Dock until you start dragging the CD-R icon you created by opening the disc in the ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: How to get blank CD-R icon in Finder X?

    wrote:
    >I don't understand why the Apple article says I should see one behavior, and
    >I see another.
    Someone already answered this one (select "open in Finder").
    >And a related question: is there supposed to be a Burn icon in the OS X Dock?
    >I see references to this icon throughout OS X Help, but the only Apple
    >burning app I see is Disc Burner, a Classic app.
    The Burn icon doesn't appear in the Dock until you start dragging the CD-R
    icon you created by opening the disc in the Finder. It's like dragging a
    volume, where the Trash icon changes to Eject; if you drag a CD-R filesystem
    you've created and filled, it changes to Burn.
    Jay Maynard Guest

  2. #2

    In article <michelle-07AA89.09105313092003news.west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <michellemichelle.org> wrote:
    > And that is very poor UI design; who would think that the way to burn a
    > CD is to drag it to the trash?
    Well anybody used to ejecting disks by dragging them to the trash, which
    was in and of itself bad UI design, but something many mac users know.

    Fortunately, there's also File-> Burn Disc...
    Mark Haase Guest

  3. #3

    In article <michelle-07AA89.09105313092003news.west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <michellemichelle.org> wrote:
    > And that is very poor UI design; who would think that the way to burn a
    > CD is to drag it to the trash?
    Huh? I've burned lots of CDs on my Mac, never once dragged one to the
    trash to initiate the burn.
    David Turley Guest

  4. #4

    Michelle Steiner <michellemichelle.org> writes:

    > And that is very poor UI design; who would think that the way to
    > burn a CD is to drag it to the trash?
    It's not the trash when you're dragging it.

    It was significantly worse in OS 9, when the icon didn't change.

    -- David
    David C. Guest

  5. #5

    In article <michelle-3F5424.12522513092003news.west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <michellemichelle.org> wrote:

    > > Huh? I've burned lots of CDs on my Mac, never once dragged one to the
    > > trash to initiate the burn.
    >
    > If you want to burn it from the Finder, that's how you do it.
    Look again. (hint: ctrl)
    David Turley Guest

  6. #6

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 11:59:00 GMT,
    Enough (enoughidontcare.com) wrote:
    > Hormone problems?

    You have hormone problems now? I'm sorry to hear that, but I've
    always suspected it. There's treatment for that now you know.

    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev A. Kupf Guest

  7. #7

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 13:46:23 +0100, Bev A. Kupf wrote
    (in message <slrnbm8orf.lk2.bevakupfebv.mimnet.northwestern.e du>):
    > On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 11:59:00 GMT,
    > Enough (enoughidontcare.com) wrote:
    >> Hormone problems?
    >>

    > You have hormone problems now? I'm sorry to hear that, but I've
    > always suspected it. There's treatment for that now you know.

    He has problems, though I would suggest hormonal ones are the least of them.

    Andy

    Andy Mulhearn Guest

  8. #8

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    >And that is very poor UI design; who would think that the way to burn a
    >CD is to drag it to the trash?[/ref]

    Right; Apple should change the trash to an incinerator.
    --
    Matthew T. Russotto net
    of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of

  9. #9

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:46:05 -0500, Matthew Russotto
    <speakeasy.net> wrote:
    >>And that is very poor UI design; who would think that the way to burn a
    >>CD is to drag it to the trash?[/ref][/ref]

    Poor or not, at least it's consistent: the way to unmount filesystems on
    MacOS for years was to drag them to the Trash. This stretches all the way
    back to the very beginning, when that's how you ejected a floppy.

    Heh. That would probably confuse more folks...who'd want to drag a Firewire
    hard disk to an incinerator to unmount it?!
    Jay Guest

  10. #10

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    >And that is very poor UI design; who would think that the way to burn a
    >CD is to drag it to the trash?[/ref]

    Except, of course, as the previous poster noted, when you select the CD
    Image icon and start to move it, the Trash icon isn't a Trash icon
    anymore -- it changes to the Burn icon. I guess it saved Apple a slot in
    the Dock.

    --
    Gordon Alley <*>
    <mailto:net>

  11. #11

    In article <texas.rr.com>,
    "Gordon B. Alley" <net> wrote:

    > >And that is very poor UI design; who would think that the way to burn a
    > >CD is to drag it to the trash?[/ref]
    >[/ref]

    Doesn't anybody ctrl-click any more? Works for me.
    David Guest

  12. #12

    In article <news.adelphia.net>,
    David Turley <com> wrote:

    > >[/ref]
    >
    > Doesn't anybody ctrl-click any more? Works for me.[/ref]

    So I guess that makes at least three ways to burn the CD-R: menu
    command, drag to burn icon in dock, and contextual menu (I never noticed
    that last one).

    And BTW, if you are going to include the lines identifying me as a
    poster in your quote, please don't cut off the part that I actually
    contributed to the thread. :-) Here's the post that I sent (the last
    paragraph was the point of my post):

    --
    Gordon Alley <*>
    <mailto:net>