Professional Web Applications Themes

How to get blank CD-R icon in Finder X? - Mac Applications & Software

I perused Apple Support's tech library, and article 61339 says that if I insert a blank CD-R, it should show up as a disc icon on the desktop. I can then drag stuff to it and burn it when I'm done. But when I insert a CD-R, I get the Actions dialog box: "What application do you want to open", or "ignore the disc for now" options. If I choose to ignore the disc now, no icon shows up on the desktop; I have to eject the disc and reinsert it in order to use it (the Actions dialog appears ...

  1. #1

    Default How to get blank CD-R icon in Finder X?

    I perused Apple Support's tech library, and article 61339 says that if I
    insert a blank CD-R, it should show up as a disc icon on the desktop. I can
    then drag stuff to it and burn it when I'm done.

    But when I insert a CD-R, I get the Actions dialog box: "What application do
    you want to open", or "ignore the disc for now" options.

    If I choose to ignore the disc now, no icon shows up on the desktop; I have
    to eject the disc and reinsert it in order to use it (the Actions dialog
    appears again).

    I can burn discs using the Actions dialog to open Disk Copy or Toast, but I'd
    like to know how to do it in the Finder.

    I don't understand why the Apple article says I should see one behavior, and
    I see another.

    And a related question: is there supposed to be a Burn icon in the OS X Dock?
    I see references to this icon throughout OS X Help, but the only Apple
    burning app I see is Disc Burner, a Classic app.

    Ideas?

    PowerBook G3/400; OS X 10.2.6
    --
    Dave C
    com

    DaveC Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to get blank CD-R icon in Finder X?

    In article <individual.net>,
    DaveC <com> wrote:

    The article says the following:
     [/ref]

    Well yes; that's what the article says will happen.

    One of the options you can choose is "Open Finder" and there is a check
    box to make this a default so that you won't have to see that dialog
    again.

    You can also set the default in the CDs and DVDs panel in system
    preferences.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  3. #3

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 23:27:01 -0700, DaveC <com>
    wrote:

    Someone already answered this one (select "open in Finder").

    The Burn icon doesn't appear in the Dock until you start dragging the CD-R
    icon you created by opening the disc in the Finder. It's like dragging a
    volume, where the Trash icon changes to Eject; if you drag a CD-R filesystem
    you've created and filled, it changes to Burn.
    Jay Guest

  4. #4

    In article <conmicro.cx>,
    conmicro.cx (Jay Maynard) wrote:

    And that is very poor UI design; who would think that the way to burn a
    CD is to drag it to the trash?

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  5. #5

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    Well anybody used to ejecting disks by dragging them to the trash, which
    was in and of itself bad UI design, but something many mac users know.

    Fortunately, there's also File-> Burn Disc...
    Mark Guest

  6. #6

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    Huh? I've burned lots of CDs on my Mac, never once dragged one to the
    trash to initiate the burn.
    David Guest

  7. #7

    In article <news.adelphia.net>,
    David Turley <com> wrote:

    > Huh? I've burned lots of CDs on my Mac, never once dragged one to the
    > trash to initiate the burn.[/ref]

    If you want to burn it from the Finder, that's how you do it.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  8. #8

    In article <rdc-nyc.rr.com>,
    Mark Haase <net> wrote:

    So there is. I wonder why I never noticed it before.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  9. #9

    Michelle Steiner <org> writes:

    It's not the trash when you're dragging it.

    It was significantly worse in OS 9, when the icon didn't change.

    -- David
    David Guest

  10. #10

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    > If you want to burn it from the Finder, that's how you do it.[/ref]

    Look again. (hint: ctrl)
    David Guest

  11. #11

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    > So there is. I wonder why I never noticed it before.[/ref]

    Hormone problems?

    --
    Enough <com>
    Enough Guest

  12. #12

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 11:59:00 GMT,
    Enough (com) wrote:

    You have hormone problems now? I'm sorry to hear that, but I've
    always suspected it. There's treatment for that now you know.

    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  13. #13

    On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 13:46:23 +0100, Bev A. Kupf wrote
    (in message <mimnet.northwestern.edu>):

    > You have hormone problems now? I'm sorry to hear that, but I've
    > always suspected it. There's treatment for that now you know.
    >[/ref]

    He has problems, though I would suggest hormonal ones are the least of them.

    Andy

    Andy Guest

  14. #14

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    >And that is very poor UI design; who would think that the way to burn a
    >CD is to drag it to the trash?[/ref]

    Right; Apple should change the trash to an incinerator.
    --
    Matthew T. Russotto net
    of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of

  15. #15

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:46:05 -0500, Matthew Russotto
    <speakeasy.net> wrote:
    >>And that is very poor UI design; who would think that the way to burn a
    >>CD is to drag it to the trash?[/ref][/ref]

    Poor or not, at least it's consistent: the way to unmount filesystems on
    MacOS for years was to drag them to the Trash. This stretches all the way
    back to the very beginning, when that's how you ejected a floppy.

    Heh. That would probably confuse more folks...who'd want to drag a Firewire
    hard disk to an incinerator to unmount it?!
    Jay Guest

  16. #16

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    >And that is very poor UI design; who would think that the way to burn a
    >CD is to drag it to the trash?[/ref]

    Except, of course, as the previous poster noted, when you select the CD
    Image icon and start to move it, the Trash icon isn't a Trash icon
    anymore -- it changes to the Burn icon. I guess it saved Apple a slot in
    the Dock.

    --
    Gordon Alley <*>
    <mailto:net>

  17. #17

    In article <texas.rr.com>,
    "Gordon B. Alley" <net> wrote:

    > >And that is very poor UI design; who would think that the way to burn a
    > >CD is to drag it to the trash?[/ref]
    >[/ref]

    Doesn't anybody ctrl-click any more? Works for me.
    David Guest

  18. #18

    David Turley <com> wrote:

    > >[/ref]
    >
    > Doesn't anybody ctrl-click any more? Works for me.[/ref]

    So I guess that makes at least three ways to burn the CD-R: menu
    command, drag to burn icon in dock, and contextual menu (I never noticed
    that last one).

    And BTW, if you are going to include the lines identifying me as a
    poster in your quote, please don't cut off the part that I actually
    contributed to the thread. :-) Here's the post that I sent (the last
    paragraph was the point of my post):

    --
    Gordon Alley <*>
    <mailto:net>