Professional Web Applications Themes

How to get the number of retrieved columns when doing a SQL Query - ASP.NET Data Grid Control

Hello everyone, i just implement an own search site in MS CRM 1.2, which searches in a MS-SQL database. My question is, how to get the number of retrieved columns by a SQL-query?? Any suggestions for me? Thx... Greets, Roman...

  1. #1

    Default How to get the number of retrieved columns when doing a SQL Query

    Hello everyone,

    i just implement an own search site in MS CRM 1.2, which searches in a
    MS-SQL database.

    My question is, how to get the number of retrieved columns by a SQL-query??

    Any suggestions for me?

    Thx...

    Greets,

    Roman
    Roman Klimkowicz Guest

  2. #2

    hi,
    i only heard number of retrieved rows ..

    SELECT COUNT(column) FROM tablename

    but i never heard if u can count number of columns..
    isn't it like, as u do SQL query, u will already know what columns u are
    retrieving?

    why do u need to count the columns that u r retrieving when u already
    know the columns that u r going to retrieve?

    regards,
    xianxian

    xianxian Guest

  3. #3

    xianxian schrieb:
    > hi,
    > i only heard number of retrieved rows ..
    >
    > SELECT COUNT(column) FROM tablename
    >
    > but i never heard if u can count number of columns..
    > isn't it like, as u do SQL query, u will already know what columns u are
    > retrieving?
    >
    > why do u need to count the columns that u r retrieving when u already
    > know the columns that u r going to retrieve?
    >
    > regards,
    > xianxian
    >
    > *** Sent via Developersdex [url]http://www.developersdex.com[/url] ***
    Sorry I did not mean column but the row :-) - My fault .. too much work
    ;-)

    Anyway .. I know how to get the number of rows which where retrieved by
    firing a SQL-query in SQL code but I need a .NET Method oder workaround
    to read this value...

    Any suggestions?

    Sorry for the false description in my initial post.

    Greets,

    Roman
    Romantschik Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: How to get the number of retrieved columns when doing a SQL Qu

    Hi,

    Can you more specific to problem. so i can try to provide solution.

    Regards,
    Sachin Saki
    ..NET Developer, Capgemini - INDIA

    "Romantschik" wrote:
    > xianxian schrieb:
    > > hi,
    > > i only heard number of retrieved rows ..
    > >
    > > SELECT COUNT(column) FROM tablename
    > >
    > > but i never heard if u can count number of columns..
    > > isn't it like, as u do SQL query, u will already know what columns u are
    > > retrieving?
    > >
    > > why do u need to count the columns that u r retrieving when u already
    > > know the columns that u r going to retrieve?
    > >
    > > regards,
    > > xianxian
    > >
    > > *** Sent via Developersdex [url]http://www.developersdex.com[/url] ***
    >
    > Sorry I did not mean column but the row :-) - My fault .. too much work
    > ;-)
    >
    > Anyway .. I know how to get the number of rows which where retrieved by
    > firing a SQL-query in SQL code but I need a .NET Method oder workaround
    > to read this value...
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Sorry for the false description in my initial post.
    >
    > Greets,
    >
    > Roman

    Sachin Saki Guest

  5. #5

    If you retrieve your query result to a datatable, datatable.Rows.Count gives
    you row numbers.

    HTH

    "Romantschik" <klro0017yahoo.de> wrote in message
    > xianxian schrieb:
    > > hi,
    > > i only heard number of retrieved rows ..
    > >
    > > SELECT COUNT(column) FROM tablename
    > >
    > > but i never heard if u can count number of columns..
    > > isn't it like, as u do SQL query, u will already know what columns u are
    > > retrieving?
    > >
    > > why do u need to count the columns that u r retrieving when u already
    > > know the columns that u r going to retrieve?
    > >
    > > regards,
    > > xianxian
    > >
    > > *** Sent via Developersdex [url]http://www.developersdex.com[/url] ***
    >
    > Sorry I did not mean column but the row :-) - My fault .. too much work
    > ;-)
    >
    > Anyway .. I know how to get the number of rows which where retrieved by
    > firing a SQL-query in SQL code but I need a .NET Method oder workaround
    > to read this value...
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Sorry for the false description in my initial post.
    >
    > Greets,
    >
    > Roman

    Elton Wang Guest