Professional Web Applications Themes

how to go about a project - Coldfusion Database Access

Here is my dilemma, I am about to start a project using ColdFusion and SQL Server 2000. Right now, there is a site does on the fly charting for different city statistics. That all works great. Where I come in is that I have to develop a part of the site where people who do not know really anything about databases. I have to make a site that will allow someone (not anyone) come in and update the database with knew statistics. There are about 50+ tables and each has anywhere from 10's to 100's of records already in them. ...

  1. #1

    Default how to go about a project

    Here is my dilemma,

    I am about to start a project using ColdFusion and SQL Server 2000. Right now,
    there is a site does on the fly charting for different city statistics. That
    all works great. Where I come in is that I have to develop a part of the site
    where people who
    do not know really anything about databases. I have to make a site that will
    allow someone (not anyone) come in and update
    the database with knew statistics. There are about 50+ tables and each has
    anywhere from 10's to 100's of records already in them. Now when I do this, I
    have to use stored procedures. I was thinking about how I was going to go about
    doing it, but all I am coming up with is writing a stored procedure for every
    table and then on the page, depending on what table they want to update, call
    that sp. Now I am no where near an expert on either ColdFusion or stored
    procedures, but I do know some things and I pick up on things relatively fast.
    I'm not looking for a solution, but some ideas on what route I want to take, or
    ways so that I do not have to write 50+ stored procedures. If you need any more
    information or there is something I left out, ask away. I'll keep checking this
    post.

    Thanks in advance for everyone's help,

    Ryan

    sdtke212 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: how to go about a project

    Ryan,

    Without knowing the complete structure of the database and relationships of
    the tables, I can only give an overview.

    I would assume that there would be a "main" table and then the other tables
    would be related to this table via a forieng key. But some tables could be
    related to related tables of the "main" table.

    So I would also assume that when the user needs to update/insert into these
    tables it would be associated to a single record.
    So you need to give the user the functionality to select a record of updating.
    Once the record is selected a query would return all information (whether
    direct or related). This would then be displayed in a form. The user would
    then update any/all fields and submit the form.

    The "action" page that this form is submitted to would then call the stored
    procedure to update the required tables.

    Thus in acuallity you would only need one stored procedure. Of cause this is
    all dependant upon the tables relationships in the database. But it will give
    you a starting point and something to work on.

    Ken

    The ScareCrow Guest

  3. #3

    Ken,

    I don't have access to the database right now but off the top of my head and
    from what I remember, the person who orginally designed the database did not do
    the best of jobs. I do not believe any of the tables are related to one
    another, just 50+ tables in one database. There is also no updating of the
    fields, just inserting new fields.

    One of the ways I thought of going was through I believe a CFGRID. I would
    query the database and have all or maybe the most recent 5 rows displayed in
    the grid. Then allow the user the insert the information they needed and submit
    the form.

    Maybe I should mention before that I had this entire site done previously
    using PHP. Although when doing it before, I could just write the queries right
    in the code and the insert queries were generated retrieving the field names
    into an array, and then looping through the array and through each loop,
    appending a field name to the query. Worked great. However, I am not sure how
    this would work using stored procedure's and from the little knowledge I have
    about them, if it is even possible.

    Thanks for the advice,

    Ryan

    sdtke212 Guest

  4. #4

    I do not believe any of the tables are related to one another

    I would really hope not.

    Before I can advise you any further, you will need to examine the database and
    determine how the tables are used in the actual application. If they are all
    independant tables, then you will not have much choice but to develop a sp for
    each table.

    But if the tables are used in a single application then I would have to assume
    that they are related to each other in some way, maybe not the correct way but
    some way.

    There is also no updating of the fields, just inserting new fields
    If this is the case then all you will need is a form(s) to insert new records
    into the tables. I would also assume that in the sp you will need to check if
    the record already exists in the table and if so, do not insert it.

    Ken

    The ScareCrow Guest