Professional Web Applications Themes

how to load an IMAGE without reloading the whole page? - Macromedia Dreamweaver

HI Is it possible to load a new image onclick instead of reloading a whole new page? I've got a photo gallery that I want to make a bit more sophistocated and I'd love to be able to cycle through the whole set of pics all within the same window. Any suggestions????? Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default how to load an IMAGE without reloading the whole page?

    murdex webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Folks:

    If you have many images, or if your incoming images are large, however, this
    is a pretty bad solution.

    Check the ShowPic extension at the PVII site for a nice alternative.....

    [url]http://www.projectseven.com/[/url]

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Joe {RoastHorse}" <joeroast-horse.com> wrote in message
    > use DW swap image behaviour.
    >
    > joe
    >

    > "murdex" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > > HI
    > > Is it possible to load a new image onclick instead of reloading a whole
    > new page? I've got a photo gallery that I want to make a bit more
    > sophistocated and I'd love to be able to cycle through the whole set of
    pics
    > all within the same window. Any suggestions?????
    > >
    > > Thanks

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  3. #3

    > If you have many images, or if your incoming images are large, however,
    this
    > is a pretty bad solution.
    why's that?

    joe

    "Murray *TMM*" <forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
    > Folks:
    >
    > If you have many images, or if your incoming images are large, however,
    this
    > is a pretty bad solution.
    >
    > Check the ShowPic extension at the PVII site for a nice alternative.....
    >
    > [url]http://www.projectseven.com/[/url]
    >
    > --
    > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX
    > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
    > ==================
    > [url]news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver[/url] - THE BEST WAY TO GET
    > ANSWERS
    > ==================
    > [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url] - Template Triage!
    > [url]http://www.projectseven.com/go[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > [url]http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url] - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
    > ==================
    >
    > "Joe {RoastHorse}" <joeroast-horse.com> wrote in message
    > > use DW swap image behaviour.
    > >
    > > joe
    > >

    > > "murdex" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > > > HI
    > > > Is it possible to load a new image onclick instead of reloading a
    whole
    > > new page? I've got a photo gallery that I want to make a bit more
    > > sophistocated and I'd love to be able to cycle through the whole set of
    > pics
    > > all within the same window. Any suggestions?????
    > > >
    > > > Thanks

    Joe {RoastHorse} Guest

  4. #4

    Joe:

    Because the page will be enbered with the weight of all the images, not
    just the ones that load when the page is browsed.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > > If you have many images, or if your incoming images are large, however,
    > this
    > > is a pretty bad solution.
    >
    > why's that?
    >
    > joe
    >

    > "Murray *TMM*" <forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
    > > Folks:
    > >
    > > If you have many images, or if your incoming images are large, however,
    > this
    > > is a pretty bad solution.
    > >
    > > Check the ShowPic extension at the PVII site for a nice alternative.....
    > >
    > > [url]http://www.projectseven.com/[/url]
    > >
    > > --
    > > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    > > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX
    > > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
    > > ==================
    > > [url]news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver[/url] - THE BEST WAY TO
    GET
    > > ANSWERS
    > > ==================
    > > [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url] - Template Triage!
    > > [url]http://www.projectseven.com/go[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > > [url]http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url] - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
    > > ==================
    > >
    > > "Joe {RoastHorse}" <joeroast-horse.com> wrote in message
    > > > use DW swap image behaviour.
    > > >
    > > > joe
    > > >

    > > > "murdex" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > whole
    > > > new page? I've got a photo gallery that I want to make a bit more
    > > > sophistocated and I'd love to be able to cycle through the whole set
    of
    > > pics
    > > > all within the same window. Any suggestions?????

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  5. #5

    but the images do have to be the same size... i don't know if the showpic
    ext allows for different sizes?

    joe

    > only if you opt to preload them.
    >
    > joe
    >

    > "Murray *TMM*" <forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
    > > Joe:
    > >
    > > Because the page will be enbered with the weight of all the images,
    not
    > > just the ones that load when the page is browsed.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    > > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX
    > > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
    > > ==================
    > > [url]news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver[/url] - THE BEST WAY TO
    GET
    > > ANSWERS
    > > ==================
    > > [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url] - Template Triage!
    > > [url]http://www.projectseven.com/go[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > > [url]http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url] - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
    > > ==================
    > >
    > > "Joe {RoastHorse}" <joeroast-horse.com> wrote in message
    > however,
    > > > this
    > > >
    > > > why's that?
    > > >
    > > > joe
    > > >

    > > > "Murray *TMM*" <forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message

    > however,
    > > > this

    > alternative.....

    > > GET
    Technotes

    > > > whole
    > > of

    Joe {RoastHorse} Guest

  6. #6

    Here's an example of a slow page... all images loading before it works!
    [url]http://www.eleanorstravels.com/PreysFruit/index.htm[/url]
    It was an experiment.
    Eleanor

    "Joe {RoastHorse}" <joeroast-horse.com> wrote in message
    > use DW swap image behaviour.
    >
    > joe
    >

    > "murdex" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > > HI
    > > Is it possible to load a new image onclick instead of reloading a whole
    > new page? I've got a photo gallery that I want to make a bit more
    > sophistocated and I'd love to be able to cycle through the whole set of
    pics
    > all within the same window. Any suggestions?????
    > >
    > > Thanks

    E. T. Culling Guest

  7. #7

    On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:15:58 +0100, "Joe {RoastHorse}"
    <joeroast-horse.com> wrote:
    >but the images do have to be the same size... i don't know if the showpic
    >ext allows for different sizes?
    >
    >joe

    Yes, it does. Basically it builds the DIV that will contain the
    larger image to fit the specific larger image by using a spacer image
    that's sized correctly. Because you use the same spacer image for
    every larger image, your original file size is kept quite small.

    To see a PVII ShowPic gallery in action, have a look at the Gallery
    section in [url]http://www.montclairorchids.com[/url].

    Win
    --------------

    >"Joe {RoastHorse}" <joeroast-horse.com> wrote in message
    >> only if you opt to preload them.
    >>
    >> joe
    >>

    >> "Murray *TMM*" <forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
    >> > Joe:
    >> >
    >> > Because the page will be enbered with the weight of all the images,
    >not
    >> > just the ones that load when the page is browsed.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    >> > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX
    >> > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
    >> > ==================
    >> > [url]news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver[/url] - THE BEST WAY TO
    >GET
    >> > ANSWERS
    >> > ==================
    >> > [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url] - Template Triage!
    >> > [url]http://www.projectseven.com/go[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    >> > [url]http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    >> > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url] - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
    >> > ==================
    >> >
    >> > "Joe {RoastHorse}" <joeroast-horse.com> wrote in message
    >> however,

    >> however,

    >> alternative.....

    >> > GET
    >Technotes

    >set
    >> > of

    Win Day, Multimedia Developer
    Words Plus
    [url]http://www.wordsplus.net[/url]
    [email]windaywordsplus.net[/email]
    Win Day Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks everyone, very helpful.

    murdex webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  9. #9

    How about any techniques that don't use the pvii approach. I don't like the required text fields.?????

    murdex webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  10. #10

    mur:

    Adapt them. There are no required text fields if you do that. The great
    thing about the PVII approach (and the reason you should use it) is that
    once you understand WHY it works, you can build what you need, when you need
    it, without using any 'system'.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575

    > How about any techniques that don't use the pvii approach. I don't like
    the required text fields.?????

    Murray *TMM* Guest