Professional Web Applications Themes

How to locate poor server/router performance? - Mac Networking

I've got a machine running 10.3.2 as my server/firewall/router Up until recently it worked admirably, and still does for email and news (NNTP). However all machines being servered by it (Macs & Windows) are suffering very poor http browsing. Some pages time out, while others have "Safari can't open the page "..." because it can't find the server "...".". Often hitting enter into the URL causes it to reload successfully. I have a collection of sites under one bookmark folder which I "Open in tabs". Sometimes all fail to load, sometimes only some. Also ssh'ing into the server takes 30 ...

  1. #1

    Default How to locate poor server/router performance?

    I've got a machine running 10.3.2 as my server/firewall/router
    Up until recently it worked admirably, and still does for email
    and news (NNTP).

    However all machines being servered by it (Macs & Windows)
    are suffering very poor http browsing. Some pages time out,
    while others have "Safari can't open the page "..." because it
    can't find the server "...".".
    Often hitting enter into the URL causes it to reload successfully.
    I have a collection of sites under one bookmark folder which I
    "Open in tabs". Sometimes all fail to load, sometimes only some.

    Also ssh'ing into the server takes 30 seconds to get a password prompt.

    I was using TCP/IP firewire around the time of it going slow, but
    I'm not sure if it was coincident. I've removed the firewire entry
    from the network entry on the server, but it hasn't changed anything.

    Does anyone have any clues about how to trace the problem. My last
    resort would be a reinstall :-(...

    Thanks,

    Dale

    --
    o.matic.bigpond.net.au
    Dale Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to locate poor server/router performance?

    In article <bigpond.net.au>,
    Dale Stanbrough <net.au> wrote:

    Forgot to mention that the server computer does not suffer from this
    problem!

    Dale

    --
    o.matic.bigpond.net.au
    Dale Guest

  3. #3

    In article <bigpond.net.au>,
    Dale Stanbrough <net.au> wrote:

    Wild guess, but this sounds a lot like a DNS lookup problem. I've seen
    situations were I can't look things up because the DNS name server does
    not find the host name. But sometimes the first attempt causes the DNS
    server to get the name, so the 2nd try works.

    Just wondering if your DNS is working. Try the

    host name.mumble.com

    Look at your DNS list on the affected systems (from the Terminal.app):

    cat /etc/resolv.conf

    See if the IP addresses listed are good sources of DNS information

    host name.mumble.com ww.xx.yy.zz

    where ww.xx.yy.zz is one of the IP addresses from /etc/resolv.conf

    Of course, I could be way off base, so don't focus too much on this idea.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

  4. #4

    Dale Stanbrough wrote:

    I've only got one suggestion, really:

    Do *NOT* rule out your upstream yet. It's too early. Even though the Mac
    connected directly to the Internet seems problem free, it may just be
    recovering from errors more garefully.

    I had a similiar problem with a hardware router and replaced it. The
    replacement exhibited the same problem, albeit much less often, and
    traced the issue to my ISP. The computer was able to work around it, the
    router wasn't.

    Your connection sharing may introduce the same fragility that my router did.

    If you're on cable, call them up and ask them to test your link.

    --
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice."
    Steven Guest

  5. #5

    Steven Fisher wrote:

    Oh, and I should mention: It sounds like a DNS problem.

    However, I think you'll find it's a more generic problem. Especially if
    it really just suddenly started. That suggests line failure more than
    software change.