Professional Web Applications Themes

how to make DVD-Video ?? - Macromedia Director Basics

Hello: I am a novice and please don't mind my basic questions: We want to set up a simple kind of kiosk. The kiosk will have a DVD player and an LCD monitor. Its stand alone. Its not PC based. The manual of the DVD player says that it can play discs bearing "DVD Video" logos. The presentation contents will be some slides, pictures, may be simple text animations and audio message. The presentation is about 15-20 minutes duration. 1. Can Director MX be used to generate the movies or presentation content in "DVD-Video" playable format. 2. Lets assume Director ...

  1. #1

    Default how to make DVD-Video ??

    Hello:

    I am a novice and please don't mind my basic questions:

    We want to set up a simple kind of kiosk.
    The kiosk will have a DVD player and an LCD monitor. Its stand alone. Its not PC based.
    The manual of the DVD player says that it can play discs bearing "DVD Video" logos.
    The presentation contents will be some slides, pictures, may be simple text animations and audio message. The presentation is about 15-20 minutes duration.

    1. Can Director MX be used to generate the movies or presentation content in "DVD-Video" playable format.
    2. Lets assume Director can do all this stuff : What kind of "DVD writer - recorder - or burner" is needed to burn this and make a DVD that can be played in our DVD player. ?? I am all confused in jargon of DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW etc etc. and I have no idea about it.
    3. Can anyone suggest the necessary hardware for this kind of kiosk ? or any alternate softwares etc etc.

    any help is highly desireable.

    Thanks

    Arain

    Arainn webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re:how to make DVD-Video ??

    Wow....a lot of questions. Let's see if I can tackle some of them.

    "The manual of the DVD player says that it can play discs bearing "DVD Video" logos." Yeah...that's assuming that the disc that you are using is a DVD...not just any ole disc with a DVD logo on it. But I guess you knew that already.

    Can Director MX be used to generate the movies or presentation content in "DVD-Video" playable format. No.

    Lets assume... Don't ever assume!! Director can do all this stuff: What kind of "DVD writer - recorder - or burner" is needed to burn this and make a DVD that can be played in our DVD player. ?? Well, like I said - don't ever assume anything. Unless I am mistaken, Director is not going to produce the files you need to make a DVD. But even if it did---you need a DVD burner. Any ole off the shelf DVD burner is fine. But you have to make sure the DVD player you are playing it on is compatible (see next question/answer).

    I am all confused in jargon of DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW etc etc. and I have no idea about it. DVDs (just like recordable CDs) come in a could of flavors. Their are two main branches...and those are +R and -R.

    Along with this, under each branch - you can have a Record "once" disc....that would be the DVDR +R (or -R if you choose)....and then you have the rerecordable DVDRW (+or- R).

    What is the difference between + or - R? Well, depending on the burner you purchase, you will either be able to burn to a +r disc or a -R disc. There are DVD burners on the market that will handle both formats....but I, personally have stuck with +R. Go to [url]www.dvdrhelp.com[/url] to find out more info on the different specs.

    Can anyone suggest the necessary hardware for this kind of kiosk ? or any alternate softwares etc etc. Try using the DVD software that comes with the burner you purchase.

    any help is highly desireable.

    woodsposse webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the reply.

    1. So it means I can not use the Director to create the movie. Because it can not create-export to the file format that can be exported to the stand-alone DVD-Video player ?

    2. Is the Roxio Easy CD DVD Creator a possible tool to make such type of DVDs ??

    thanks

    Arainn webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    1. So it means I can not use the Director to create the movie. Because it can not create-export to the file format that can be exported to the stand-alone DVD-Video player ? Not exactly true. You can create what you want in Director and export as an AVI....and then use some other application to convert your file to MPEG2 (which is what you need the file to be to make a DVD...unless the application you use will do the conversion).

    2. Is the Roxio Easy CD DVD Creator a possible tool to make such type of DVDs ?? I haven't used this application - but in the past, it is a recording software and can record your product to DVD. But to make the DVD....I don't think so. You need an application like DVD Architect (sony).

    woodsposse webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: Re:how to make DVD-Video ??

    Take a look at the various DVD authoring programs available. Adobe has a
    product called Encore and DVDit has been around for quite some time. You
    can find a list of supported DVD burners on the web sites for those
    products.

    hth,
    Doug
    "Arainn" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the reply.
    >

    > 1. So it means I can not use the Director to create the movie. Because it
    can not create-export to the file format that can be exported to the
    stand-alone DVD-Video player ?

    > 2. Is the Roxio Easy CD DVD Creator a possible tool to make such type of
    DVDs ??

    > thanks

    Doug Golenski Guest