Professional Web Applications Themes

How to make my low-class carbon app into a higher-class carbon app? - Mac Programming

Hi...I would appreciate some suggestions...here's my problem... I have an app which used to be a pure OS9 app, created in CW8. Recently, I've learned the rudiments of carbon, and carbonized the app. So, now my app runs (relatively) nicely in OSX without needing Classic/OS9. I say "relatively" nicely, because, though perfectly functional, it's missing fancy icons (for one) and still looks like an old-style app. My carbonized app is really just a single application (like in OS9 days)...all resources are built-in to the app's own file...no package, no external graphics files, no external icons, no property lists, just the ...

  1. #1

    Default How to make my low-class carbon app into a higher-class carbon app?

    Hi...I would appreciate some suggestions...here's my problem...

    I have an app which used to be a pure OS9 app, created in CW8.
    Recently, I've learned the rudiments of carbon, and carbonized the app.
    So, now my app runs (relatively) nicely in OSX without needing
    Classic/OS9. I say "relatively" nicely, because, though perfectly
    functional, it's missing fancy icons (for one) and still looks like an
    old-style app.

    My carbonized app is really just a single application (like in OS9
    days)...all resources are built-in to the app's own file...no package,
    no external graphics files, no external icons, no property lists, just
    the plain old (but carbonized) app of yesteryear. It works fine, as a
    real OSX app, but I call it my "low class app".

    I'd like to bring the class, so to speak, of the app up a notch, but
    not yet ready to port the whole thing to Apple's new XCode or even the
    old Interface Bulider and Project Builder and basically start from
    scratch again. Can I add some newer touches (fancier icons, for
    instance) to my old-style-but-carbonized app without having to
    completely re-do my app so as to use nibs, and project builder and all
    that jazz? How would I do that?

    I know XCode and/or Project/Interface Builder are in my future for this
    app, but I'm looking for a quicker interim step to embellish my
    existing app.

    Any suggestions appreciated.

    Thanks!

    Jay
    Ken Guest

  2. #2

    In article <060320041808100659%com>, Ken
    <com> wrote:

    Have you considered upgrading to CodeWarrior 9? You can then build it
    as a package, with fancy icons and such, but keep the resources, and
    even maintain compatibility with OS 9 if needed.
    James Guest

  3. #3

    In article <060320041808100659%com>,
    Ken <com> wrote:

    You can easily add huge icons to your existing resources, and a property
    list resource to let the Finder know they are there.

    See:

    <http://developer.apple.com/doentation/Carbon/Conceptual/carbon_portin
    g_guide/cpg_prepstruct/chapter_2_section_3.html>

    <http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn2013.html>

    and my own previous articles on doing this using Rez in
    <http://groups.google.com/>.

    Your window resizing should be Dock-aware. Look in Windows.h for more
    informtation.

    You might also think about how your app would change if you used the
    sheet API for the standard save/don't save/Cancel dialog and the SaveAs
    dialog (in particular, your doent object will need to save more state
    information so it can handle the button callbacks on those dialogs,
    since the user can switch to other doents at any time, or even quit
    the app, while those sheets are up.)

    You might consider supporting Services, and possibly animating your Dock
    icon, or giving your app a custom Dock menu. There are tech notes on
    these topics.

    Do you support the AppleEvent Object Model? Is your app recordable? How
    about Apple Help? ToolTips?
    David Guest

  4. #4

    In article <sf.sbcglobal.net>, David
    Phillip Oster <org> wrote:

    Thanks David (and James earlier)....all suggestions were much
    appreciated.
    Ken Guest