Professional Web Applications Themes

How to make php work on "my" computer? - PHP Development

hello, Does anyone know how I make php work on "my" computer? I made a mistake in my last post so I fixed it here. Chris...

  1. #1

    Default How to make php work on "my" computer?

    hello,
    Does anyone know how I make php work on "my" computer?
    I made a mistake in my last post so I fixed it here.

    Chris

    Chris Krasnichuk Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to make php work on "my" computer?

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 13:23:37 GMT, Chris Krasnichuk wrote:
    >hello,
    >Does anyone know how I make php work on "my" computer?
    >I made a mistake in my last post so I fixed it here.
    >
    >Chris
    You should look at
    [url]http://www.wowwebdesigns.com/power_guides/killer_trio_intro.php[/url]

    Tomislav Pavlovic Guest

  3. #3

    "Chris Krasnichuk" <Krasnicukshaw.ca> wrote in message
    news:tdfNa.382484$Vi5.9788761news1.calgary.shaw.c a...
    > hello,
    > Does anyone know how I make php work on "my" computer?
    > I made a mistake in my last post so I fixed it here.
    >
    > Chris

    Chris, you need to learn how to install it.
    Read up, search for the answer.
    How far do you think you are going to get if you can't even install and
    configure it.
    As a starting point, I suggest you get a reference book. I would also
    suggest Beginning PHP from Wrox.
    RG

    RG Guest

  4. #4

    Chris Krasnichuk wrote:
    > hello,
    > Does anyone know how I make php work on "my" computer?
    > I made a mistake in my last post so I fixed it here.
    >
    > Chris

    What does "my" mean here ? You mean "your" computer ? Or what else ?

    Bruno

    Bruno Desthuilliers Guest

  5. #5

    Omg,
    Can't anybody answer my question with detail?
    I know people have told me to read the installation thingy but my php bible
    gave more information then people here.
    So if anyone can please give me detail instructions

    "Bruno Desthuilliers" <bdesth.nospamremoveme.free.fr> wrote in message
    > Chris Krasnichuk wrote:
    > > hello,
    > > Does anyone know how I make php work on "my" computer?
    > > I made a mistake in my last post so I fixed it here.
    > >
    > > Chris
    > >

    > What does "my" mean here ? You mean "your" computer ? Or what else ?
    >
    > Bruno

    Chris Krasnichuk Guest

  6. #6

    "Chris Krasnichuk" <Krasnicukshaw.ca> schrieb:
    > Can't anybody answer my question with detail?
    > I know people have told me to read the installation thingy but my php bible
    > gave more information then people here.
    > So if anyone can please give me detail instructions
    Please be more specific. I assume that vou've read
    [url]http://www.php.net/manual/en/installation.php[/url] and did the described
    tasks.

    We can't help you if you don't give us an idea about your problem. So
    which part of the installation does not work?

    Matthias
    Matthias Esken Guest

  7. #7

    "Chris Krasnichuk" <Krasnicukshaw.ca> wrote in message
    news:CkWNa.368370$3C2.10073926news3.calgary.shaw. ca...
    > Omg,
    > Can't anybody answer my question with detail?
    > I know people have told me to read the installation thingy but my php
    bible
    > gave more information then people here.
    > So if anyone can please give me detail instructions
    I think you need to show people that you are trying. Have you actually tried
    downloading PHP and reading the readme file? People are suggesting that you
    do it because that is what the readme file is there for - it's written once
    in a readme file so a newsgroup message doesn't have to be written
    explaining it everytime someone wants to install. If you have tried
    installing it and have read the readme, which part exactly is it you are
    having trouble with? Did you install Apache? Can you see plain HTML websites
    properly? Did PHP seem to install properly? Did running phpinfo() work?
    Constantly asking the very general question "how do I get PHP to work?"
    makes it sound as though you are too lazy to use a search engine or read the
    readme yourself, and people don't tend to go out of their way to exaplain
    things if someone is simply too lazy to do it themselves.

    I will give you a general overview to get you started. If you have trouble,
    come back and state what it was you tried, and what exactly isn't working.

    The first step is to install a web server. This will let you see html pages
    as if they were on the Internet (that is they have a URL like
    [url]http://something[/url] instead of C:\something). Apache is the obvious choice, it
    is good and most importantly free.

    Once that is working you can view web pages by typing "http://localhost/".

    Now you need to install PHP so your scripts will work. This plugs into
    Apache. I suggest instead of installing these separatly you use a package
    like PHPDev. This is Apache, PHP and a few other things bundled together
    into an easy to use file for Windows users. You just download it, extract
    it, and you're pretty much done. You can get it from [url]www.firepages.com.au[/url].

    None of what I have written here is new. I think you have been very unfair
    by suggesting no-one has tried to help you. The Apache readme provides all
    of this information, but you have shown no indication that you bothered to
    read it. The link
    [url]http://www.wowwebdesigns.com/power_guides/killer_trio_intro.php[/url] provided by
    Tomislav goes right back to a basic level and explains everything really
    well, but again you don't seem to have bothered reading it. WAMP and
    PHPTriad also seem to do exaclty the same thing as PHPDev, but again you
    don't seem to have bothered trying them.

    It's incredibly rude to ignore what people have said and then blaming them
    for not trying to help them. If you don't change your attitude nobody is
    going to bother trying to help you (it's not like they get anything out of
    it - remember they are doing you a favour). If you do genuinely try some of
    the things above or in other posts, and have trouble we will be more than
    glad to help you. If you ignore it and complain that everything hasn't been
    nicely laid out on a platter for you then you can expect to be on everyone's
    killfile in very quick order.

    Gareth

    Gareth Church Guest

  8. #8

    OK.
    I'm sorry if I've been sounding like an idiot.
    But I've installed apache, I've installed PHP, I've tryed
    [url]http://localhost/[/url][file] but nothing works.
    It just keeps coming up with some website thingy.

    Please help me I'm starting to give up.

    Chris Krasnichuk Guest

  9. #9

    "Chris Krasnichuk" <Krasnicukshaw.ca> wrote in message
    news:gJXNa.368744$3C2.10079086news3.calgary.shaw. ca...
    > OK.
    > I'm sorry if I've been sounding like an idiot.
    And I'm sorry if I was a bit harsh (which I probably was).
    > But I've installed apache, I've installed PHP, I've tryed
    > [url]http://localhost/[/url][file] but nothing works.
    > It just keeps coming up with some website thingy.
    That sounds promising. The web site is probably the placeholder that is
    created when you install Apache. Now if you go to the directory where you
    installed Apache and into the www folder (this may be wrong, I use PHPDev
    which does all the work for me. It may well be a different folder for a
    regular Apache install) and place your own files in that directory, they
    should be visible (either by typing [url]http://localhost/myfile.html[/url] or by
    replacing the index.html file and just loading [url]http://localhost/[/url]) With a bit
    of luck your web pages should show.

    The next thing to do is test PHP. Generally you use a php file with the line
    phpinfo() in it to test this, as it gives you all the information about PHP.
    I can't say much more about PHP, because I took the easy way out and used
    PHPDev, which sets everything up already. You may well need to configure
    some configuration files. I would assume the doentation that comes with
    PHP would detail this, or someone here can help. If you have trouble though,
    I do recommend a tool like PHPDev (firepages.com.au). It was made for simple
    fools like you and I that just want things to work without fiddling around
    too much. ll you do is download it, extract it to a directory and run a
    batch file to start things off. It will start all the necessary processes
    and load up a web page that includes test code (like a file with phpinfo())
    so you can test the server. It's designed for exactly what (I assume) you
    are doing - just tesing your own scripts at home.

    Good luck,
    Gareth

    Gareth Church Guest

  10. #10

    What dir do I make it in?

    "Geoff Berrow" <$bl$ckdog.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Krasnichuk contained the following:
    >
    > >I've installed phpdev but when I goto [url]http://localhost/phpinfo.php[/url] it
    just
    > >comes up with this site
    >
    >[url]http://www.commonname.com/en/PowerSearch/PowerSearch.asp?ekw=KxsECUg=&app=1[/url]
    00
    > >It's reallt getting to me now I'm getting ready to smash my head in the
    > >screen.
    > >Please Help ME!!!!!
    >
    > Now, I've never got round to installing a server on my machine yet because
    > I find it just as easy to bang stuff up to my host but, just to confirm,
    > have you created a file called phpinfo.php and does it contain something
    > like the following?

    > <head>
    > <title>PHP info</title>
    > </head>
    > <?php
    > phpinfo();
    > ?>
    >

    > --
    > Geoff Berrow
    > It's only Usenet, no one dies.
    > My opinions, not the committee's, mine.
    > Simple RFDs [url]http://www.ckdog.co.uk/rfdmaker/[/url]

    Chris Krasnichuk Guest

  11. #11

    Krasnichuk contained the following:
    >What dir do I make it in?
    Gareth told you.
    >> But I've installed apache, I've installed PHP, I've tryed
    >> [url]http://localhost/[/url][file] but nothing works.
    >> It just keeps coming up with some website thingy.
    >
    >That sounds promising. The web site is probably the placeholder that is
    >created when you install Apache. Now if you go to the directory where you
    >installed Apache and into the www folder (this may be wrong, I use PHPDev
    >which does all the work for me. It may well be a different folder for a
    >regular Apache install) and place your own files in that directory, they
    >should be visible (either by typing [url]http://localhost/myfile.html[/url] or by
    >replacing the index.html file and just loading [url]http://localhost/[/url]) With a bit
    >of luck your web pages should show.
    --
    Geoff Berrow
    It's only Usenet, no one dies.
    My opinions, not the committee's, mine.
    Simple RFDs [url]http://www.ckdog.co.uk/rfdmaker/[/url]
    Geoff Berrow Guest

  12. #12

    it still just comes up with this page:
    [url]http://www.commonname.com/en/PowerSearch/PowerSearch.asp?ekw=KxsECUg=&app=100[/url]

  13. #13

    Krasnichuk contained the following:
    >it still just comes up with this page:
    >[url]http://www.commonname.com/en/PowerSearch/PowerSearch.asp?ekw=KxsECUg=&app=100[/url]
    Get some PHP enabled webspace til you figure it out.

  14. #14

    "Chris Krasnichuk" <Krasnicukshaw.ca> wrote in message
    news:tdfNa.382484$Vi5.9788761news1.calgary.shaw.c a...
    > hello,
    > Does anyone know how I make php work on "my" computer?
    > I made a mistake in my last post so I fixed it here.
    Google is your friend.

    Googling with "how to configure php apache cgi" gives me as the first link:

    [url]http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/php4install.shtml[/url]

    Here's what I did that works fine.

    1. Download and install IndigoPerl, available free from [url]www.indigostar.com[/url].
    2. Download and install PHP4.
    3. Follow the installation instructions for PHP, especially in the section
    "b. Running PHP as a CGI binary".

    Another link, Googled out of the PHP doentation,

    [url]http://us2.php.net/manual/en/install.apache.php[/url]

    especially the section "Installing PHP on Windows with Apache 1.3.x" should
    give you some hints on configuring Apache.

    I suspect the results you've obtained so far ensue because you have not
    configured Apache correctly. If you with to run PHP as a CGI scripting
    language, you simply *must* give Apache the directives that are required to
    implement said action.

    Good luck.

    Bill Segraves

    William Alexander Segraves Guest

  15. #15

    Yeah,
    I've already done that ( [url]http://www.dragongames.ca[/url] )

  16. #16

    news:9i%Na.398628$Vi5.10277025news1.calgary.shaw. ca...

    [url]http://www.commonname.com/en/PowerSearch/PowerSearch.asp?ekw=KxsECUg=&app=10[/url]
    0
    > It's reallt getting to me now I'm getting ready to smash my head in the
    > screen.
    > Please Help ME!!!!!
    That seems strange. I presume that commomname.com is the default page that
    comes up when your browser can't find the site. I had a similar sort of
    problem recently. My browser (IE) wouldn't load [url]http://192.168.0.2/[/url] - it
    always looked for it on the 'net. I had to tell it to Never dial a
    connection. It was really frustrating. You shouldn't have this problem,
    though, since you are working on the one machine (I had to use 192.168.0.2
    because it was on another machine).

    I'll run through exactly what I did, and hopefully you will be able to pick
    up something that you did differently:

    1) Downloaded phpdev (I'm using 4.23, on Windows 2000).
    2) Double clicked to install. I used the default directory, C:\phpdev
    3) Start -> Programs -> phpdev -> phpdev_2K_XP_NT. That is simply a shortcut
    to C:\phpdev\2K-NT-XP-phpdev_start.bat. Obviously you use the other batch
    file if using Windows 98. That loads up a command prompt that starts Apache
    and mySQL, then loads [url]http://localhost/[/url] in the default browser on your
    machine (I think it does anyway, I might have changed it - it was a while
    ago I installed it). Anyway, you should see a web page that has links to
    some folders and files. What this is displaying is everything in the
    C:\phpdev\www\ folder.
    4) You could click the phpinfo.php file, and that should display something
    like this: [url]http://66.197.177.250/phpinfo.php[/url]. I would suggest instead you
    just click the start_here.htm file. That should display a page with the
    firepages.com.au logo at the top of the page (it is displaying from your
    local computer though, not the Internet. The address should be
    [url]http://localhost/phpdev[/url].
    5) From this page you can test various things, like the phpinfo() page.
    There's also a page to test GD, which is a facility which lets you create
    images on-the-fly using PHP. you can alos test phpMyAdmin, which is a
    web-based interface for using mySQL, a database that is often used with PHP.
    6) If that works PHP is setup on your computer. All you have to do now is
    copy any php files you want to run to the C:\phpdev\www\ directory (or any
    subdirectory), and then you should be able to run that php file by typing
    [url]http://localhost/phpfile.php[/url] into a browser.

    Gareth

    Gareth Church Guest

  17. #17

    Krasnichuk contained the following:
    >Yeah,
    >I've already done that ( [url]http://www.dragongames.ca[/url] )
    Cool.

    I've just downloaded and installed the PHPDev version of PHP, Apache etc
    and it is ridiculously easy.

    Download it, run it, start the server from the start menu and your webroot
    is at C:/phpdev/www It already contains phpinfo.php for testing.

    Now I've got to get into the habit of coding with register globals
    off...:-}