Professional Web Applications Themes

How to make the background layer less Opaque? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I am trying to make a picture very light so that I can print it out and have it be a faint image on the page. I have read that I should lesson the opaque value in the layers menu. I tried but the image is designated as the 'background' and I can't get it to open up the opaque bar for me. I then made a duplicate of the picture and I was indeed able to adjust the opaque levels but the image didn't appear to be any lighter in the thumbnail. Any suggestions on how to fix this? ...

  1. #1

    Default How to make the background layer less Opaque?

    I am trying to make a picture very light so that I can print it out and have it be a faint image on the page.

    I have read that I should lesson the opaque value in the layers menu. I tried but the image is designated as the 'background' and I can't get it to open up the opaque bar for me. I then made a duplicate of the picture and I was indeed able to adjust the opaque levels but the image didn't appear to be any lighter in the thumbnail.

    Any suggestions on how to fix this? Layers and I still have not become friends so I'll need instructions on a very remedial level!!
    kelli hayden Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to make the background layer less Opaque?

    Kelli,

    If you made a duplicate, click on the eye of the lowest layer (the background) in the Layers Palette to make it invisible onscreen. Now click on the dupe layer and slide the opacity down to desired amount. With the original layer still visible, it would have appeared exactly the same.

    Here are a couple of sites to help with your understanding of layers.

    <http://www.cclub.metu.edu.tr/e-kitap/cokluortam_araclari/Teach%20Yourself%20Photoshop%20in%2014%20Days/ch08.htm>

    <http://www.elated.com/tutorials/graphics/photoshop/intro_layers/>

    Nancy
    Nancy S Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Kelli, when you first bring an image into Elements it is indeed called a ' background ' layer. The first thing you need to do is double click on the image in the layers palette. A pop up menu will appear asking you if you want to rename the layer ( default is layer 0 ) just ck=lick OK to that ( unless you really need to name it something else then do so ). Now you have what is called an 'editable' layer ( excuse my spelling..it's a layer you can 'edit' )...now go ahead and reduce the opacity...it's the option on the layers palette top right. When you print it it will be much lighter againts the white paper. An easy way to know exactly what you are going to get : create a 'new layer' ( little square pages icon at the bottom of layers palette ) with your cursor drag that new layer to the bottom of the palette and fill it with white>edit fill. Now when you lower the opacity of your image it will give you a better than good clue as to what will print.

    EDIT: hi Nancy...you weren't there a minute ago...THANK YOU AGAIN FOR THAT !!!!!!
    Jodi Frye Guest

  4. #4

    Thank you both for the suggestions. I was able to print off a light image!!! hip-hip-horray!!!

    Jodi, I was able to follow your instructions beautifully until I got to the part about "fill it with white>edit fill" Would you mind explaining that again for me? Is there a button that I should click that is named "white edit fill?"

    Kelli
    kelli hayden Guest

  5. #5

    Kelli, I'm not Jodi (she is attractive and artistic; alas, I am neither...),
    but what you're looking for can be found under the Edit category on the
    toolbar. It's Edit>Fill and it gives you several options of what to "Use"
    for fill; one of them is white. That should do it!

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  6. #6

    lol

    Thank You Chuck for your response to Kelli. Oh, you are indeed attractive and artistic. The images you send me prove that.

    :)
    Jodi Frye Guest

  7. #7

    It's just a regular 'ole love fest!! Thanks for the suggestion Chuck, I'll go try it out right away.

    Kelli
    kelli hayden Guest

  8. #8

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Snyder View Post
    Kelli, I'm not Jodi (she is attractive and artistic; alas, I am neither...),
    but what you're looking for can be found under the Edit category on the
    toolbar. It's Edit>Fill and it gives you several options of what to "Use"
    for fill; one of them is white. That should do it!

    Chuck
    spot on just what i needed :)
    liam
    Unregistered Guest