Professional Web Applications Themes

How to make the Database avalible at home? - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

I'm fairly new to SQL Server. I'm using SQL Server 7.0 Developer Edition. The Server is running onsite at work, and I am using it as my back-end for a couple applications I'm developing. However, I have times that I want to work from home on my application, and I need access to that tables in the database, and possibly even rights to edit those tables. My question is what is the recomended way to setup, and connect to the server? I could think of a couple ways to do it, just by poking around in the server for a ...

  1. #1

    Default How to make the Database avalible at home?

    I'm fairly new to SQL Server. I'm using SQL Server 7.0 Developer Edition.
    The Server is running onsite at work, and I am using it as my back-end for a
    couple applications I'm developing. However, I have times that I want to
    work from home on my application, and I need access to that tables in the
    database, and possibly even rights to edit those tables.

    My question is what is the recomended way to setup, and connect to the
    server? I could think of a couple ways to do it, just by poking around in
    the server for a bit:

    (1) I could install another server at my home and have the two servers
    te changes? this seems to me like it is way more trouble than I want
    to deal with. especially since my program is hard coded (although it is only
    stored in one spot, it could be changed) for a certian server name.

    (2) Can I just open a connection port on the server to the internet, and
    access it with a password and such? I don't know what kind of security
    issues I'd have to deal with on this situation, some of the data is probably
    best kept private.

    (3) Last option I can think of, is probably the best, but would mean
    replacing my Router at home. But what I'm thinking is creating a VPN
    connection, and accessing the server that way. For a while we had a software
    VPN set up and it was way to slow to make this method work. But we purchased
    a firewall that supports hardware VPN's, but only as a gateway so I would
    have to purchase a new router, or maybe even a whole firewall system. (the
    VPN doents say I cant connect with a simple client software running on a
    computer, has to be another hardware... or something like that... its the
    Symantec Firewall/VPN 100 if that helps anybody).

    If I could access the server externally using the Enterprise Manager, even
    with some limited rights, for security. I would really like to be able to do
    that also, as I'm only in the office 75% of the time, and if something goes
    wrong, I would like to be able to try and fix it from home and save myself
    an hour long drive if I can. (Maybe I should just move :-P)

    Anyway, sorry for the long winded post, if anybody has any suggestions I'm
    all ears.

    .. : Kyle

    Kyle Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to make the Database avalible at home?

    How big is your database?
    DVD burner?

    "Kyle Klaus" <net> wrote in message

    want
    only
    probably
    software
    purchased

    do
    goes

    mountain Guest

  3. #3

    Its not very big, would likely fit on a CD (for now anyway). But I didn't
    want to have to burn a CD every other day when I go home... I'm only in the
    office on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.... Tuesday and Thursday's I stay
    at home (more or less).

    I'll look into it though if I don't find a better option.. can I burn a
    database onto a CD, and have a coyp of SQL server running at home, that I
    just import it into?

    "mountain man" <com.op> wrote in message
    news:%9d%a.35532$bigpond.net.au... [/ref]
    Edition. [/ref]
    for [/ref]
    the [/ref]
    in
    > want
    > only
    > probably
    > software
    > purchased [/ref]
    would [/ref]
    (the [/ref]
    on [/ref]
    the [/ref]
    even [/ref]
    > goes [/ref]
    myself [/ref]
    I'm

    >[/ref]

    Kyle Guest

  4. #4

    Easiest way would be to detach the database and put the MDF and LDF on the
    CD then reattach at home.

    Try this page for syntax
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;224071

    HTH

    --
    Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA
    ---
    "Kyle Klaus" <net> wrote in message
    the
    stay [/ref]
    > Edition. [/ref]
    > for [/ref][/ref]
    to [/ref]
    > the [/ref]
    > in
    > > want [/ref][/ref]
    is [/ref][/ref]
    and
    > > probably
    > > software
    > > purchased [/ref]
    > would [/ref]
    > (the [/ref]
    > on [/ref]
    > the [/ref]
    > even [/ref]
    > > goes [/ref]
    > myself [/ref]
    > I'm
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    >
    >[/ref]

    Ray Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Kyle.

    I've found that the easiest way to do this is to just use backup / restore.

    The major benefit to using this approach is that you don't need to copy the
    full database everytime you want to take it home. All you need to do is
    restore the log which is often much smaller than a full backup (or detach).
    If the log is bigger than the database, then just do a full backup or
    differential backup. If a backup plan is in place (eg a production database)
    then you can often just copy the exising .fbak / .tlog files etc.

    I also keep an external hard drive handy (quite affordable these days -
    around US$350) which makes moving these files around very easy.

    What's more, whewn doing this you become very fluent in the backup / restore
    commands as you're using them every day <g>.

    HTH

    Regards,
    Greg Linwood
    SQL Server MVP

    "Kyle Klaus" <net> wrote in message

    want
    only
    probably
    software
    purchased

    do
    goes

    Greg Guest

  6. #6

    Hi,
    I know both RDB and SocketPro at www.udaparts.com will work for you. Why
    don't you give them a try?

    --
    Yuancai (Charlie) Ye
    RDB, a tool for fast and securely accessing remote databases with dial-up,

    Fast and securely accessing all of remote data sources anywhere with
    SocketPro using batch/queue, non-blocking and parallel computation

    See 30 well-tested and real OLEDB examples
    www.udaparts.com

    "Kyle Klaus" <net> wrote in message

    want
    only