Professional Web Applications Themes

How to mimic a file upload and select a folder insteadof a file? - Coldfusion - Advanced Techniques

Hi, I'd be really grateful if you could please help me solve this particular issue. I'm actually implementing a small program to allow users in-house to generate their required reports every night. I need to mimic an <input type="file"> with CFMX7.01 whereby the users will have a Browse button. However, instead of choosing a FILE, it must allow them to select a particular FOLDER located on the hard drive. Then they only need to click on "Generate Reports" and the program will generate the reports and save them to the target location chosen when the users clicked on the Browse ...

  1. #1

    Default How to mimic a file upload and select a folder insteadof a file?

    Hi,

    I'd be really grateful if you could please help me solve this particular issue.

    I'm actually implementing a small program to allow users in-house to generate
    their required reports every night.

    I need to mimic an <input type="file"> with CFMX7.01 whereby the users will
    have a Browse button.

    However, instead of choosing a FILE, it must allow them to select a particular
    FOLDER located on the hard drive.

    Then they only need to click on "Generate Reports" and the program will
    generate the reports and save them to the target location chosen when the users
    clicked on the Browse button.

    Any idea how to implement a program to browse and select a target FOLDER
    located on the hard drive?

    Thanks and regards,
    Yogesh Mahadnac

    YogeshM Guest

  2. #2

    Actually, I need something similar to the tree structure (or an equivalent)
    that is displayed when you click on "Browse Server" when you add a Microsoft
    Access database in the ColdFusion Administrator page.

    Thanks and regards,
    Yogesh Mahadnac

    YogeshM Guest

  3. #3

    > Any idea how to implement a program to browse and select a target

    The only way I see is to create a signed Java applet or an ActiveX control.
    These will give you the info about the disk structure that you're looking
    and allow you to save multiple files directly to disk.

    --
    <mack />

    Neculai Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Neculai,

    Thanks for replying!

    Got any idea how to do this please? Cos I have no idea at all...

    Thanks and regards,
    Yogesh Mahadnac
    YogeshM Guest

  5. #5

    YogeshM wrote:

    No, I don't have practical experience in creating ActiveX controls or signed
    Java applets, but google usually has some pointers.

    --
    <mack />

    Neculai Guest

  6. #6

    Anybody at Macromedia can help me out with this please???

    Thanks and regards,
    Yogesh Mahadnac
    YogeshM Guest

  7. #7

    Can somebody from Macromedia please help me out with this problem as it is still pending.

    Thanks and regards,
    Yogesh Mahadnac
    YogeshM Guest

  8. #8

    YogeshM wrote:

    I don't think it's MM's problem. You need to research on how to create an
    ActiveX control using C++ or VB (msdn.microsoft.com) or a Java applet.

    --
    <mack />

    Neculai Guest

  9. #9

    Read the forum guidelines.
    This is not the place to request Macromedia's help. You must use a support
    option for that.

    Anyway, as has already been stated, this has little to do with CF.
    You need to have your users run a java applet to accomplish this.
    This is a design limit of html and current browsers.

    There are solutions you can purchase -- look for them.

    MikerRoo Guest

  10. #10

    Hi,

    Thanks for replying!

    Any idea where I can find such a java applet to do the same thing as when you
    want to create a data source in ColdFusion administrator, and you click on
    Browse Server, it displays a tree-like structure of My Computer?

    And then, in my case, the users can select a target folder to save their
    daily reports.

    And by the way, if it's there in the ColdFusion administrator, then it was
    certainly done by Macromedia, don't you think so?????????

    And it's no use you tell me to look for it, else I wouldn't have posted the
    question on the forum, I would have looked for it myself, cos the idea of
    posting something on a forum is to get quicker answers from people who might
    already know the stuff!

    Cheers

    YogeshM Guest

  11. #11

    YogeshM wrote:

    google ?

    Yes, it might be done by Macromedia or by a third-party. And if it's in CF
    admin it doesn't mean that it's free to use (I actually don't know about
    this, I would suggest reading the licence)

    Well, you'll not get many answers if you would ask questions about sport
    cars on a forum about antique cars, would you ?

    --
    <mack />

    Neculai Guest

  12. #12

    Hi,

    Thanks again for replying. I've actually been trying to find this stuff on
    google and I've thought that maybe some of the forum users might have already
    come across this stuff, that's why I've asked, but I'll definitely keep on
    looking for it ;-)

    Hmmm... In which forum should I have posted this topic if this is not the most
    appropriate one?

    Cheers

    Originally posted by: Newsgroup User

  13. #13

    > And by the way, if it's there in the ColdFusion administrator, then it was
    certainly done by Macromedia, don't you think so?????????

    There's a definite difference in the one in the administrator that you're
    talking about. That displays the contents of the _server_, not your computer.
    Big difference.

    Re: multi-file upload (or folder-based upload)
    This is a limitation of HTML, not ColdFusion (or ASP, or PHP, or Perl, or any
    of the other web technologies out there). HTML forms have one way, and one way
    only, of uploading something: the <file> tag. It's not Coldfusion's fault, or
    problem, because they don't control the HTML spec.

    Kronin555 Guest

  14. #14

    A commercial option is a program called http://www.infomentum.com/appletfile/

    I think there's an open source version at SourceForge, but the name of it escapes me at the moment.

    HTH
    cf_menace Guest

  15. #15

    Hi,

    In fact, I agree, the applet displays the contents of the server, but it does
    the same when ColdFusion is installed locally on your pc. That is what I wanted
    to achieve in fact.

    But anyway, thanks for everything! I'll keep on looking for it on the net, and
    if you guys come across an applet, or anything, that I can do the same thing as
    the "Browse Server" as in the ColdFusion datasource administration page, please
    don't hesitate to drop a few lines on this topic.

    Your help will be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks and regards,
    Yogesh Mahadnac

    YogeshM Guest