Professional Web Applications Themes

How to move/copy linux installation ... - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

from one disk(a smaller one) to a new one(bigger)? And how to make the new disk bootable? Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default How to move/copy linux installation ...

    from one disk(a smaller one) to a new one(bigger)? And how to make the new
    disk bootable?

    Thanks

    Useko Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to move/copy linux installation ...

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:06:02 -0500, Useko Netsumi wrote:

    have you looked in the howtos, if you installed them
    Watch out for line wrap.

    locate -i disk | grep -i howto | grep -i upgrade
    cut/paste something like
    </usr/share/doc/HOWTO/HTML/en/mini/Linux-minis-20030211/mini/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/index.html>
    </usr/share/doc/HOWTO/HTML/en/mini/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/index.html>

    If not on your disk, http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/

    very large FAQ search engine
    google_reinstall_boot_loader_search_tag in the first box
    comp.os.linux in the Newsgroup box, pick english

    Please read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    Bit Guest

  3. #3

    Useko Netsumi wrote:

    Partitions the new disk the way you want it. You can add/remove
    partitions and or change filesystems if you want as long as you
    edit /newdisk/etc/fstab to reflect any changes made in the
    filesystem or partitions.

    cd /
    mkdir newdisk
    mount /dev/hdXX /newdisk
    cp -a bin boot etc dev ....... /newdisk
    umount /newdisk

    Repeat for any other partitions needed.

    If you move the new disk to the device the old disk was on then
    you won't have to edit /newdisk/etc/fstab unless you change
    filesystems or partitions.

    Then use a bootdisk or the CD to boot the system so you can
    install lilo or grub to the MBR.

    If anything goes wrong you will still have the original disk to
    it try again.

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/

    David Guest

  4. #4

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:06:02 -0500, Useko Netsumi wrote:

    Check this:
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/

    It shows methods using cp and tar.

    For the loader, I recommend grub:
    http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/

    --
    Douglas Mayne

    Douglas Guest

  5. #5

    According to Useko Netsumi <rr.com>:

    I've made identical copies on several occasions using dd:

    # dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc bs=512

    The target disk must have at least as many blocks as the source
    disk, and you should scan it to make sure it free from bad
    blocks.

    This takes care of the boot sector, as well.

    Cheers
    Steffen.

    Steffen Guest

  6. #6

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 22:06:02 -0500, Useko Netsumi <rr.com> wrote:

    partition and format the new disk, flagging the bootable partition

    mount the disk and use cp -a to copy everything over, and I'd do
    it one paritition/top_directory at a time, though there is technically
    no reason not to do it all at once.

    I did it like this:

    mount -t ext2 /dev/hdb1 mnt

    mkdir /mnt/boot

    /boot# cp -a * /mnt/boot

    Then edit /etc/fstab on the new box and run lilo

    --
    Alan C this post ends with w
    Alan Guest

  7. #7

    Useko Netsumi wrote:

    http://www.partimage.org/
    ..
    Corrupt, adj.: In politics, holding an office of trust or profit.

    mjt Guest

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Brane Guest
    Moderated Post

  9. #9

    Alan Connor wrote:

    This is a windows thing. Linux doesn't use it.

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/
    Slackware 9.1.0 Kernel 2.4.22 SMP i686 (GCC) 3.3.2
    Uptime: 24 days, 21:24, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.18, 0.5

    David Guest

  10. #10

    David <net> writes:

    > This is a windows thing. Linux doesn't use it.[/ref]

    It depends. If you install the LILO or GRUB stage1q to the partition
    boot record, rather than the MBR, you need the DOS MBR to chain-load
    it. The DOS bootloader uses the bootable flag to determine which to
    chainload.

    --
    Roger Leigh

    Printing on GNU/Linux? http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/
    GPG Public Key: 0x25BFB848. Please sign and encrypt your mail.
    Roger Guest

  11. #11

    David, I can follow your procedure but there is one issues. I don't have a
    floppy disk.

    So, how do I copy all to the new disk and install GRUB/LILO as well without
    rebooting. Then, I'll take out the old disk, put the new one in place and
    boot.

    PS: The new disk is an external disk using PCMCIA connector. I can see this
    disk but I don't think I can boot of this way. I have to take out the old
    disk and replace them with the new one.

    Thanks

    "David" <net> wrote in message
    news:WFkob.65855$.. [/ref]
    new

    > Partitions the new disk the way you want it. You can add/remove
    > partitions and or change filesystems if you want as long as you
    > edit /newdisk/etc/fstab to reflect any changes made in the
    > filesystem or partitions.
    >
    > cd /
    > mkdir newdisk
    > mount /dev/hdXX /newdisk
    > cp -a bin boot etc dev ....... /newdisk
    > umount /newdisk
    >
    > Repeat for any other partitions needed.
    >
    > If you move the new disk to the device the old disk was on then
    > you won't have to edit /newdisk/etc/fstab unless you change
    > filesystems or partitions.
    >
    > Then use a bootdisk or the CD to boot the system so you can
    > install lilo or grub to the MBR.
    >
    > If anything goes wrong you will still have the original disk to
    > it try again.
    >
    > --
    > Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    > Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/
    > Slackware 9.1.0 Kernel 2.4.22 SMP i686 (GCC) 3.3.2
    > Uptime: 24 days, 9:08, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.04, 0.1
    >[/ref]

    Useko Guest

  12. #12

    Useko Netsumi wrote:

    You can use the first installation CD to boot the system. Or you
    could even use a KNOPPIX or Slackware live CD if you have a copy.

    I'm not familiar with using a disk connected through the PCMCIA
    slot so maybe someone who has done it can help on that part.

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/
    Slackware 9.1.0 Kernel 2.4.22 SMP i686 (GCC) 3.3.2
    Uptime: 25 days, 6:24, 2 users, load average: 0.09, 0.11, 0.0

    David Guest

  13. #13

    Another issues, I don't have CD either in my unit. So, everything has to be
    done from the running system..

    So, all I have is a running Linux system on a disk/single-partition. How can
    I move all into a new disk and boot from that new disk.

    My issues/non-issues:
    1- copy all -- it seems that I can do that with dd or tar
    2- make the new disk bootable --- don't know how
    3- install GRUB -- don't know how
    4-have no floppy nor cdrom.

    Thanks

    "David" <net> wrote in message

    > You can use the first installation CD to boot the system. Or you
    > could even use a KNOPPIX or Slackware live CD if you have a copy.
    >
    > I'm not familiar with using a disk connected through the PCMCIA
    > slot so maybe someone who has done it can help on that part.
    >
    > --
    > Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    > Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/
    > Slackware 9.1.0 Kernel 2.4.22 SMP i686 (GCC) 3.3.2
    > Uptime: 25 days, 6:24, 2 users, load average: 0.09, 0.11, 0.0
    >[/ref]

    Useko Guest

  14. #14

    Useko Netsumi wrote:

    The only problem with "dd" is that it will also copy all empty
    space on the partition to the new drive so "tar" or "cp" would
    work better since both will also allow other options if you
    choose. Options like changing filesystems or to add/remove
    partitions.

    You would make it bootable by installing lilo, grub or even
    loadlin. Linux doesn't use the bootable flag like windows
    does/did so you don't have to worry about that.

    I prefer lilo, others prefer grub.

    Have you looked at "loadlin" it can boot from a DOS/windows
    partition but I haven't used it in several years.

    Grub can also be used if you know how to configure it to boot the
    system off the new drive if you know which device it uses.

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/
    Slackware 9.1.0 Kernel 2.4.22 SMP i686 (GCC) 3.3.2
    Uptime: 25 days, 12:09, 2 users, load average: 0.10, 0.10, 0.0

    David Guest

  15. #15

    On 2003-11-01, David <net> wrote:
    [snip]

    Another way of copying stuff is to use Midnight Commander (if you have
    it on your system, obviously).

    > You would make it bootable by installing lilo, grub or even
    > loadlin. Linux doesn't use the bootable flag like windows
    > does/did so you don't have to worry about that.

    > I prefer lilo, others prefer grub.

    > Have you looked at "loadlin" it can boot from a DOS/windows
    > partition but I haven't used it in several years.
    >[/ref]

    I use loadlin.exe all the time and it is excellent. But note that for
    later (larger) kernels you need to use the up-to-date version of the
    program.

    Anthony
    --
    Using Linux GNU/Debian - Windows-free zone
    http://www.acampbell.org.uk (book reviews and articles)

  16. #16

    David wrote:

    > The only problem with "dd" is that it will also copy all empty
    > space on the partition[/ref]

    .... http://www.partimage.org/
    ..
    "I shot an arrow into the air, and it stuck." - Graffito in Los Angeles

    mjt Guest

  17. #17

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:51:07 -0700, Useko Netsumi wrote:

    Your situation is a litte harder because of the prerequisites not to use
    cdrom or floppy, but it can be done. BTW, Steps 2 and 3 are really the
    same thing if you install grub on the new disk at the MBR.

    Using grub isn't that hard -- take to time to review the doentation.

    --
    Douglas Mayne
    Douglas Guest

  18. #18

    Would 'tar' or 'cp' copies device files?

    "David" <net> wrote in message

    > The only problem with "dd" is that it will also copy all empty
    > space on the partition to the new drive so "tar" or "cp" would
    > work better since both will also allow other options if you
    > choose. Options like changing filesystems or to add/remove
    > partitions.

    > You would make it bootable by installing lilo, grub or even
    > loadlin. Linux doesn't use the bootable flag like windows
    > does/did so you don't have to worry about that.

    > I prefer lilo, others prefer grub.

    > Have you looked at "loadlin" it can boot from a DOS/windows
    > partition but I haven't used it in several years.
    >
    > Grub can also be used if you know how to configure it to boot the
    > system off the new drive if you know which device it uses.
    >
    > --
    > Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    > Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/
    > Slackware 9.1.0 Kernel 2.4.22 SMP i686 (GCC) 3.3.2
    > Uptime: 25 days, 12:09, 2 users, load average: 0.10, 0.10, 0.0
    >[/ref]

    Useko Guest

  19. #19

    Can I trick linux using 'chroot' and install GRUB/LILO on my new disk?

    "Douglas Mayne" <com> wrote in message
    > Your situation is a litte harder because of the prerequisites not to use
    > cdrom or floppy, but it can be done. BTW, Steps 2 and 3 are really the
    > same thing if you install grub on the new disk at the MBR.
    >
    > Using grub isn't that hard -- take to time to review the doentation.
    >
    > --
    > Douglas Mayne[/ref]

    Useko Guest

  20. #20

    Useko Netsumi wrote:

    Yes, "cp -a" will do it.

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/
    Slackware 9.1.0 Kernel 2.4.22 SMP i686 (GCC) 3.3.2
    Uptime: 26 days, 3:09, 2 users, load average: 1.37, 1.35, 1.1

    David Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast