Professional Web Applications Themes

How to override printer-resident fonts? FH8, Mac OS 9 - Macromedia Freehand

Hi everyone, we have just set up a Nashuatec DSc224 colour printer/copier and are experiencing problems printing to it with the Adobe PS driver. The unit features a plethora of built-in fonts in ROM that are being substituted for doent fonts. However we need to force the printer to use the doent fonts instead but with no luck so far. In the Apple LaserWriter driver there's an option to "Always download needed fonts" which solves the problem for the LaserWriter driver (screen snap): <http://simnet.is/klipklap/samples/adobeps/laserwriter.png> On the other hand there doesn't seem to be a similar option ("Font Settings") for the ...

  1. #1

    Default How to override printer-resident fonts? FH8, Mac OS 9

    Hi everyone,

    we have just set up a Nashuatec DSc224 colour printer/copier and are
    experiencing problems printing to it with the Adobe PS driver. The unit
    features a plethora of built-in fonts in ROM that are being substituted
    for doent fonts.
    However we need to force the printer to use the doent fonts instead
    but with no luck so far.

    In the Apple LaserWriter driver there's an option to "Always download
    needed fonts" which solves the problem for the LaserWriter driver
    (screen snap):
    <http://simnet.is/klipklap/samples/adobeps/laserwriter.png>

    On the other hand there doesn't seem to be a similar option ("Font
    Settings") for the Adobe PS driver Adobe PS driver (screen snap):
    <http://simnet.is/klipklap/samples/adobeps/adobeps.png>

    This is OS 9.1, Adobe PS 8.6

    Is there any way to force Adobe PS to use the doent fonts instead or
    do we need to revert to Apple's LaserWriter driver ?

    Any hints are very much appreciated!

    Cheers Martin

    --
    Cheers Martin
    Martin Guest

  2. #2

    In article <macromedia.com>,
    Martin Sammtleben <nospm.thank.you> wrote:

    Hey, I'm going to answer my own question:

    the solution was to delete all the fonts listed as ROM-resident from the
    PPD file with the exception of Courier. To play it safe I left that one
    in as it's defined as the default font.

    I then went through the usual printer setup procedure in the Chooser and
    things are working now.

    --
    Cheers Martin
    Martin Guest

  3. #3

    Martin Sammtleben wrote:

    What does the Adobe driver do that Apple LaserWriter driver won't do?

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  4. #4

    In article <BEA11402.2D9C2%ca>,
    Judy Arndt <ca> wrote:

    Good question, I guess not much really. The point was to streamline the
    installation on different Macs and as we use the Adobe PS driver to
    create our PDFs it's just more convenient not to have to switch to the
    LaswerWriter driver for printing.

    --
    Cheers Martin
    Martin Guest

  5. #5

    It has been a long time since I used OS9 but in some apps you could
    press the Option key when selecting Print to change from the Adobe
    driver to the Apple driver for printing. I know Pagemaker had this
    option anyway.

    Martin Sammtleben wrote:

    > Good question, I guess not much really. The point was to streamline the
    > installation on different Macs and as we use the Adobe PS driver to
    > create our PDFs it's just more convenient not to have to switch to the
    > LaswerWriter driver for printing.
    >[/ref]
    D. Guest