Professional Web Applications Themes

How to Pass stored procedure parameters inside trigger - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

I have an Update trigger defined on PITRY table. This trigger in turn inserts old records from PITRY table into PITRYAudit and inserts the related history pre coded inside trigger into PITRYAuditHistory such as user name with value CURRENT_USER, comments (pre typed comments inside trigger), startdate, enddate etc. of the user who issued an update statement thru query yzer. But if user uses vb application, it uses a stored procedure that gathers all information such as user name, comments for why change is being made, startdate, enddate and issues an Update PITRY statement inside stored procedure with all gathered parameters. ...

  1. #1

    Default How to Pass stored procedure parameters inside trigger

    I have an Update trigger defined on PITRY table. This
    trigger in turn inserts old records from PITRY table into
    PITRYAudit and inserts the related history pre coded
    inside trigger into PITRYAuditHistory such as user name
    with value CURRENT_USER, comments (pre typed comments
    inside trigger), startdate, enddate etc. of the user who
    issued an update statement thru query yzer.

    But if user uses vb application, it uses a stored
    procedure that gathers all information such as user name,
    comments for why change is being made, startdate, enddate
    and issues an Update PITRY statement inside stored
    procedure with all gathered parameters. In this case now I
    want to override parameters defined in trigger with what
    stored procedure gathered thru vb application.

    Any help will be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Ricky Guest

  2. #2

    "Ricky" <ricky.arorametc.state.mn.us> wrote in message
    > I have an Update trigger defined on PITRY table. This
    > trigger in turn inserts old records from PITRY table into
    > PITRYAudit and inserts the related history pre coded
    > inside trigger into PITRYAuditHistory such as user name
    > with value CURRENT_USER, comments (pre typed comments
    > inside trigger), startdate, enddate etc. of the user who
    > issued an update statement thru query yzer.
    >
    > But if user uses vb application, it uses a stored
    > procedure that gathers all information such as user name,
    > comments for why change is being made, startdate, enddate
    > and issues an Update PITRY statement inside stored
    > procedure with all gathered parameters. In this case now I
    > want to override parameters defined in trigger with what
    > stored procedure gathered thru vb application.

    There's no good way to do this in SQLServer. You'll have to update the
    PITRYAutit and PITRYAuditHistory after the insert (and triggers) have run.

    David

    David Browne Guest