Professional Web Applications Themes

How to position a "footer" layer at the bottom of each page - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I'd like to have a small layer at the bottom of each page with our copyright and contact info, like a footer in Microsoft Word. I can't figure out how to position it at the bottom of each page. I first started with absolute positioning but the problem is I can't know the value for top. I tried relative but then the footer goes to the top of the page and I can't figure out how to put it on the bottom. I'm using layers and not tables. Can someone give me a hint on how to make the footer ...

  1. #1

    Default How to position a "footer" layer at the bottom of each page

    I'd like to have a small layer at the bottom of each page with our copyright
    and contact info, like a footer in Microsoft Word. I can't figure out how
    to position it at the bottom of each page. I first started with absolute
    positioning but the problem is I can't know the value for top. I tried
    relative but then the footer goes to the top of the page and I can't figure
    out how to put it on the bottom. I'm using layers and not tables. Can
    someone give me a hint on how to make the footer at the bottom?

    Thanks,
    Michael

    Michael Guest

  2. #2

    Use the Template is the easiest way.

    Check on macromedia.com for detail of using it.

    Michael Jen webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  3. #3

    Michael wrote:
    > I'd like to have a small layer at the bottom of each page with our
    > copyright
    > and contact info, like a footer in Microsoft Word. I can't figure out how
    > to position it at the bottom of each page. I first started with absolute
    > positioning but the problem is I can't know the value for top. I tried
    > relative but then the footer goes to the top of the page and I can't
    > figure
    > out how to put it on the bottom. I'm using layers and not tables. Can
    > someone give me a hint on how to make the footer at the bottom?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Michael

    You cant do it successfully using individual layers. A footer is
    governed by the height of the contents of the page.

    You could try nesting a layer in your main layer or you could try the
    free layout designer 2 extention from [url]www.projectseven.com[/url]. However that
    will only position the footer onLoad and onResize. If a user zooms the
    text Im afraid the layer wont move with the other content on the page.
    Not on Mac anyway.

    Infact if you are using layers (divs) you might do yourself some good by
    going through some of the tutorial at the above mentioned website. You
    will find there is a lot more to layers than at first meets the eye.

    osgood Guest

  4. #4

    "Michael Jen" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > Use the Template is the easiest way.
    >
    > Check on macromedia.com for detail of using it.

    I dont see how that is going to help if the length of page content is
    different on each spawned page from the template.

    The 'footer' layer will sit just where you put it in the templete,
    whilst the rest of the content, in layers above it, will expand over the
    top of it.

    osgood Guest

  5. #5

    > You could try nesting a layer in your main layer or you could try the
    > free layout designer 2 extention from [url]www.projectseven.com[/url]. However that
    > will only position the footer onLoad and onResize. If a user zooms the
    > text Im afraid the layer wont move with the other content on the page.
    > Not on Mac anyway.
    I just installed this and it does position my footer under my main content
    layer. The only problem is it's putting my footer about 10 pixels from the
    left edge of the window. I can't figure out a way to make the footer flush
    from the left window.
    > Infact if you are using layers (divs) you might do yourself some good by
    > going through some of the tutorial at the above mentioned website. You
    > will find there is a lot more to layers than at first meets the eye.
    Will do. Thanks

    Michael

    Michael Guest