Professional Web Applications Themes

How to prevent user from adding printer in OSX? - Mac Applications & Software

We are in a computer lab environment...all macs run OS X v10.2.6, with generic user accounts that boot up to the desktop automatically. For reasons unclear to me, every now and then I find that a student has added a new printer to a mac, even though the lab printer is available and working just fine. Recently, we had an incident where a mac in one lab was printing to a printer in a completely different room. Is there any way to prevent the ability of a user account from adding a printer in OS X? Suggestions appreciated. Dave...

  1. #1

    Default How to prevent user from adding printer in OSX?

    We are in a computer lab environment...all macs run OS X v10.2.6, with
    generic user accounts that boot up to the desktop automatically. For
    reasons unclear to me, every now and then I find that a student has
    added a new printer to a mac, even though the lab printer is available
    and working just fine. Recently, we had an incident where a mac in
    one lab was printing to a printer in a completely different room.

    Is there any way to prevent the ability of a user account from adding
    a printer in OS X?

    Suggestions appreciated.

    Dave
    D. Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to prevent user from adding printer in OSX?

    D. Fox <com> wrote:

    chmod 700 /Applications/Print\ Center

    (;

    It's the only way I know of ......
    Steve Guest

  3. #3

    Steve Lidie <cc.lehigh.edu> wrote:

    > chmod 700 /Applications/Print\ Center
    >
    > (;
    >
    > It's the only way I know of ......[/ref]

    And that should be /Applications/Utilities/..., of course. With my sites,
    deleting the printer seems to be the bigger problem.
    Steve Guest

  4. #4

    D. Fox <com> wrote:

    What kind of network do you have? Depending on your lab's network
    configuration, you might be able to block whatever tcp/ip port that
    handles the lpr protocol from going out of your lab. This would
    prevent Macs from inside the lab from seeing printers outside the lab.

    stan@temple.edu Guest

  5. #5

    In article <bk7dv9$CC.Lehigh.EDU>,
    Steve Lidie <CC.Lehigh.EDU> wrote:

    > chmod 700 /Applications/Print\ Center[/ref]

    .. . . but that still won't prevent them from editing
    http://localhost:631 . . .

    Glenn
    GDB Guest

  6. #6

    I can think of two possibilities. One, open the generic user account on
    each client (system prefs:user accounts) selct the user, then click
    capabilities. Fromp the utilities list, uncheck Print Center. That
    should do it.

    The other option is to Use an OS X server and WorkGroup Manager. It's a
    bit of a hassle to set up in that it'll take a bit of time, but you will
    be able to control the users' envirinments by group, user, or by the
    computer they are using. Nifty stuff.

    Jeff K

    Jeff Guest

  7. #7

    In article <islandnet.com>,
    Steve Lidie <CC.Lehigh.EDU> wrote:
     [/ref]

    When you set up the generic user, did you go to
    System Preferences -> Accounts -> that user, and click on Capabilities;
    then click the box for use only these programs, and under Utilities,
    uncheck the print center?
    Kathy Guest