Professional Web Applications Themes

How to recover a SQL Server database after a crash - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

Hi, I had my Windows 2000 crashed and after that I reinstalled windows, sql server etc. after taking backup of all mdf ( and no ldfs by mistake). Now when I try to restore it, it says, -------- Could not open new database 'kothari1'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted. Device activation error. The physical file name 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\Kothari_log.LDF' may be incorrect. -------- Any help please - I do not have ANY backup of this database :( Thanks Amit...

  1. #1

    Default How to recover a SQL Server database after a crash

    --------
    Could not open new database 'kothari1'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted.
    Device activation error. The physical file name 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft
    SQL Server\MSSQL\data\Kothari_log.LDF' may be incorrect.
    --------

    Any help please - I do not have ANY backup of this database :(

    Thanks

    Amit

    Amit Basu Guest

  2. #2

    See if you can use

    sp_attach_db OR
    sp_attach_single_file_db

    --

    Allan Mitchell (Microsoft SQL Server MVP)
    MCSE,MCDBA

    "Amit Basu" <amitwinruler.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I had my Windows 2000 crashed and after that I reinstalled windows, sql
    > server etc. after taking backup of all mdf ( and no ldfs by mistake).
    >
    > Now when I try to restore it, it says,
    > --------
    > Could not open new database 'kothari1'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted.
    > Device activation error. The physical file name 'D:\Program
    Files\Microsoft
    > SQL Server\MSSQL\data\Kothari_log.LDF' may be incorrect.
    > --------
    >
    > Any help please - I do not have ANY backup of this database :(
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Amit

    Allan Mitchell Guest

  3. #3

    Couple days ago I was at the I-net and perceived there an unusual tool, which to my great surprise aided me quite easy. But it moreover the application showed me some interesting features - how to recover sql database.
    zlatan24 is offline Junior Member
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5

  4. #4

    I prefer to choose one reliable tool to backup database. Like easeus todo backup advanced server. Database is so important. I don't want to be trapped in the trouble when them crash.
    lapwlover is offline Junior Member
    Aug 2011
    Location
    China
    Posts
    1

  5. #5

    Thumbs up Re: How to recover a SQL Server database after a crash

    Dear Friend,
    you can use Kernel for SQL Recovery tool which is capable to repair Server SQL database accurately in less time. It recovers MDF files that are corrupted or damaged due to virus attacks, system shut down errors or due to network problems. The tool succeeds in recovering entire MDF file data, including procedures, indexes, private keys, public keys, predefined default values etc. New database is created automatically that contains entire recovered items.

    Thanks
    Helen
    Unregistered Guest

  6. #6

    Quote Originally Posted by Amit Basu View Post
    Hi,

    I had my Windows 2000 crashed and after that I reinstalled windows, sql
    server etc. after taking backup of all mdf ( and no ldfs by mistake).

    Now when I try to restore it, it says,
    --------
    Could not open new database 'kothari1'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted.
    Device activation error. The physical file name 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft
    SQL Server\MSSQL\data\Kothari_log.LDF' may be incorrect.
    --------

    Any help please - I do not have ANY backup of this database :(

    Thanks

    Amit
    First and foremost suggestion, do not try to manipulate or do anything with the crashed db. You can try this: http://danieladeniji.wordpress.com/2010/09/27/mssql-server-database-recovery-manual-after-a-crash-ms-sql-server-v2005-and-above/ the steps mentioned in this in order to recover your db.

    However, if still no result coming out of that then it would be better to use a commercial third party sql database recovery tool.

    Reference: http://www.sqldatabase-recovery.com
    jasonmaner is offline Junior Member
    Aug 2012
    Location