Professional Web Applications Themes

how to recover my original boot loader - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi, I got Windows XP installed on my first hard drive. When installing RedHat 9.0 on my second hard drive, it warned that my boot partition was on an extended partition and might not work with some system architecture. I still went ahead but with the "force primary partition" option checked. I selected GRUB as the boot loader. After the installation, GRUB simply hung on system startup. 1. How do I recover my original boot loader or somehow install a working boot loader so that I can boot to Windows XP? 2. What could have gone wrong with my boot ...

  1. #1

    Default how to recover my original boot loader

    Hi,

    I got Windows XP installed on my first hard drive. When installing RedHat
    9.0 on my second hard drive, it warned that my boot partition was on an
    extended partition and might not work with some system architecture. I still
    went ahead but with the "force primary partition" option checked. I selected
    GRUB as the boot loader. After the installation, GRUB simply hung on system
    startup.

    1. How do I recover my original boot loader or somehow install a working
    boot loader so that I can boot to Windows XP?
    2. What could have gone wrong with my boot loader installation that
    contributed to this hanging problem?

    Thanks,

    G. Chang

    Gilbert Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: how to recover my original boot loader

    "Gilbert Chang" <com> wrote:

    If you do some Google searches you'll find lots of detail on this. To
    summarize though:

    1) I hope you made an emergency boot disk for your Linux install, that
    will let you get back into RedHat. I have never installed RedHat but
    the others I installed always gave me the "make floppy" option.

    Some Linux boot CD's give you a rescue option ... on my systems at the
    "boot" prompt I would type `linux root=/dev/hda3` and the CD based
    kernel will use my hard disk installation to boot. Then I can fix
    LILO/Grub and get normal (hard disk based) booting back.

    2) To get back into XP; boot your WinXP installation CD and select
    "Repair Console" when given the choice. Once you get to the command
    prompt there are 2 choices ... "fixmbr" and "fixboot". The exact
    command name should be displayed, I usually just do both of them. You
    may have to type "help" to get a list of commands.

    You should be able to boot from an extended partition, I'm doing it on
    my current system ... Knoppix on /dev/hda3 and Debian Woody on
    /dev/hda6 ... I use LILO though!

    I didn't actually boot my WinXP disk, I quoted the commands from
    memory, I appologize if I gave the wrong spelling.

    Good luck! Your problem is normal enough and you should be able to
    recover quite easily. You may even want to make a WinXP emergency
    boot floppy.

    Good luck!

    http://www3.sympatico.ca/dmitton
    SPAM Reduction: Remove "x." from my domain.
    Doug Guest

  3. #3

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 19:46:31 +0000, Gilbert Chang typed:

    Run the Windows XP recovery console and use fixmbr and maybe fixboot;
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314058

    Boot with the Red Hat Installation CD and type 'linux rescue' without the
    quotes and watch/read the screens carefully and use the chroot command to
    fix the problem;

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/s1-rescuemode-boot.html
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/ref-guide/s1-grub-installing.html

    --
    SCO + RICO Act = Justice

    Hi! I'm a .sig virus! Copy me to your .sig!

    Lenard Guest

  4. #4

    On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 19:46:31 GMT, Gilbert Chang <com> wrote:

    The extended partition shouldn't have mattered, unless you have a very old
    system. Where does GRUB hang, exactly? Can you get to a GRUB shell?

    Don't know anything about WinXP, sorry. There's probably a boot disk that
    can help.

    Hrmn. Is it posslbe that you told GRUB to make the second drive bootable,
    but then didn't tell the BIOS to boot that drive? It's hard to tell what
    you did -- not enough information.

    --
    - Laurel * * * http://amberdine.com
    Laurel Guest